SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Age of the Earth and Creation vs. Evolution

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Age of the Earth and Creation vs. Evolution

I've found some lectures and debates on this site http://www.drdino.com to be really interesting in response to so many claims of science contradicting the Bible. I haven't searched any of the critical reviews of it yet, which I'm sure there are.

Check out the age of the earth lecture available here http://www.drdino.com/Downloads/Seminar/vids/index.jsp

2004/6/24 14:01Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Age of the Earth and Creation vs. Evolution

Quote:
Check out the age of the earth lecture available here

Yes its an intersting ministry that brother Hovind has been doing. If you are interested in this topic it would be good to watch these videos that are avaiable free online. He argues the falacy of evolution and giving a biblical viewpoint of creation.

2004/6/24 14:19Profile
Rahman

I believe, as written in my novel "The Called", "that each day with God is as a thousand years, and a thousand years one day" ... Therefore, to me, each creative day was of the aforementioned time frame

"The Called"
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2289&forum=41&1

PS - Thanks for the links! ... Most interesting!

2004/6/24 18:36Profile
rhpmike

This simply put cannot be the case. First, plants were created before the Sun. I am not a bio major but I am reasonably sure that plants need sun in order to survive. Second, birds were created 2 days after plants. This would not be a big deal except if the days represented millions of years like you may suggest. There would be no birds to polinate the flowers.
However, there is something much more important at hand. There was no death until Adam sinned. If the days represent a longer period of time then we have a problem. Either these plants lived a very very very long time - or - the bible is wrong. If there is death before Adam's sin then we have compromised the entire basis of dying through Adam and living through Christ. Ssecondly, the bible says at least three times that the entire earth was created in 6 days. To me this means the earth was created in 6 days. To a man who has never heard of the lie called evolution it means 6 days. The only way it can be distorted to represent more time is if we want to compromise the bible's integrity for what science tells us. The bible is meant to be read and understood. If you have to read 6 days to mean millions and millions of years then there is a problem.
Lastly, if we say that the days are symblolic for a longer period of time then what stops us from saying the "story" of the Fall of Man is a symbol. If that is a symbol then why isn't the rest of the bible just a symbol that means "live a good life" like the rest of the religions teach.

We alledged Christians need to stop trying to fit the bible into the science we have been taught. There is ample support for a 6 day Creation like the bible teaches but for some reason we must convince ourselves that some scientists are right. Have a little more faith in your God. How big is your God? My God is powerful enough to have created this entire universe in 6 days. If yours is not ---- then well -- what makes him powerful enough to forgive your sins.

2004/7/3 4:35Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Hello good people!

I hate to sound like a broken record (see scriptures and doctrine section under “millions of years or literal days”) but there are many things about creation that we simply do not know. What do you think about, dinosaur bones, fossils and carborn-14 dating?

James

2004/7/3 5:31Profile
rhpmike

Re:

I beleive that there were dinosaurs on earth before the flood and that some were really big. Then after the flood there were only 2 (remember what was taken on the Ark). Also after the flood humans began eating meat which meant the dinos would now be hunted. A lot started dying off. Also the biggest ones became hunted. It turned into people being heros if they could kill one ... so they did. However, some did survive. Dont you find it odd that almost every culture has some stories of dragons. The bible mentions dragons 36 times. The word Dinosaur wasn't invented until the mid 1800s. Also, in uncharted swamps in Africa there have been many many stories that there are dinoseaurs in there. Several scientists have confirmed that fact. One said that he saw one but that it cant be true because we know evolution to be true. Now do we really know that ... or do we think that.

Carbon dating does not work. Did you know one time they found an animal and his head and leg were much different years. They were off by thousands and thousands of years. Also, scientists agree that if there was in fact a world wide flood then this would throw off any numbers of stuff that was dated before that time. Well... if we believe the bible we do believe in a flood.
Fossis ... i have explained what i think about their dating and if they are of dinosaurs i believe that is also true.

2004/7/3 7:09Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Answers In Genesis is an organisation of creation scientists who have several evidences for a young earth. Search their site for Gary Parkers testimony. Excellent arguements for young earth. There is a term for people who belive in millions of years - "liberalists!!
To change 7 days into 7,000 years (or more) is to alter the literal Word of God. Where do we stop?
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

2004/7/3 7:54Profile
rhpmike

Re:

100% agree with Cja There is definite evidence for a young earth but for some reason we like to listen to about 55% of scientist who believe in evoluiton rather than the bible.

2004/7/3 14:19Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

The Spirit teaches us all things...

Rhpmike

First, welcome to the forum Rhpmike! It is wonderful to have your input here and hopefully it will continue.

Well, I myself do not believe in evolution, nor do I believe the earth is millions of years old. As I said before, many things about the story of creation are unknown. Genesis does tell the story of creation, but it is not very specific. Let us remember that Moses was not alive when all of these things happen. The entire book of Genesis is a prophesy.

2 Peter 1:19-21 19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that NO prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

2Timothy 3:16ALL Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Notice the symbolisms of light and day on our hearts, one of many symbolisms of day and night. I think we are in error when we try to look at the bible as a scientific journal for private analysis and interpretation. There is simply too much data missing. If we look at the spiritual significance of the bible, there is too much information to absorb in one life time. If I were studying the bible as a scientist, I could complete a very in depth study in 4 years but as the Spirit teaches me, I can never learn enough. Keep this in mind from and old man (Mr. Ravenhill) there is no fine knowledge into the Christian life, this side of eternity. The Holy Spirit is constantly trying to teach us things of spiritual significance; this is not to say I do not believe the bible, but we are simply not privy to the details of the story of creation. It seems to me the story of creation is not one that sets out to prove that God did it, the only proof we need for that is our faith. The greater question for us as Christians is what spiritual things can we learn from the story of creation?

Your response to the question of dinosaurs is purely speculation. The best and only answer we have is that we simply do not know. To say that only two dinosaurs we taken would mean that only tow reptiles were needed, two birds and two mammals. Dinosaur is a term that describes a distinct group of animals, just as the term mammals describes a distinct group; all of them are still different animals however. The command was to take two of every kind of animal.

James

2004/7/3 16:59Profile
ss2kakarot

New Zealand

Re: The Dinosaurs

With regards to the dinosaurs, maybe they did exist before the flood, so when Noah took two of every kind of them onto the ark, the rest would have been buried under the flood like all the other animals were (creating all the fossilised dinosaurs).
However when the flood was over and the animals were set free again, the dinosaurs may not have responded well to the new/changed environment, which in turn would have caused them to become extinct.
Just like how species these days are struggling to survive, like the coral in the Great Barrier Reef, because of global warming, opening of the ozone layer etc
What do people think of this?

ps. I totally love the evolution vs creation debate, it really fascinates me :-P

2004/7/3 18:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy