SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New Bible translation promotes fornication

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Quote:
is that quote not specifically for revelation rather than for the whole bible?

Technically, yes. The same could be said of the verse in Deuteronomy. However, Proverbs 30:5-6 says, "[b][u]Every[/u] word[/b] of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. 6 [b]Do not [u]add[/u] to His words[/b] Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar."

Not only that, we see in John 1 that the Word became flesh... The (written) Word is part of God! If that doesn't convince someone not to tamper with Scripture, well...

Quote:
I think if we are professing Chrisitans we should be in the place of not being ashamed when He comes but looking forward to that day and everyday living as if Jesus was coming back to judge the quick and the dead.

Amen! "It is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner?"
I Peter 4:17-18

[url=http://www.heraldofhiscoming.com/Past%20Issues/2003/January/where_judgment_must_begin.htm]Where Judgment Must Begin[/url]

2004/6/30 12:31Profile
nedwards

North Hampshire, UK

Re:

The fact that people take liberties with the Word of God is very sad. All of these different translations do cause confusion. I read from the KJV and believe that it is a wonderful translation that God has used throughout the years.

2004/6/30 13:35Profile
revival9

Arizona, USA

Re: Bible Translations

It IS confusing to be a Christian who loves the Word of God, in our day and age! I agree, Greg, and all of you, that it adds a burden to our faith that I don't believe God ever intended! My heart is broken over the divisions in the Body caused by strife over translations.

The KJV is magnificent, there is no denying it. Many of the people I respect as my spiritual 'parents' have used the KJV all their lives, and can trace it back generations in their families. They have memorized huge amounts and it is bearing fruit. I hold the KJV in highest honor.

Yet, it's obvious that in the western world today, we do not speak KJ English, we speak a different 'language'. Yes, it's English, but it's not the same English. To take the KJV to the streets and expect people to basically learn a new language, along with learning about God and His Word, to me it's not the heart of Christ and it has always stumbled me.

Serious Bible scholars from years past, did not rely on ANY particular translation, but learned Greek and Hebrew for themselves, so that they could read the Scriptures in the original languages. It is only in the past 100-200 years, that we've relied so heavily on others to translate the Scriptures for us. This has caused us to 'choose sides' over our favorite translations. I believe it has grieved our Lord immensely and given Satan all the ground he needs to keep us divided. So much is at stake here!

I've studied how missionary groups translate the Word into tribal languages. They look for the best, most accurate wording that gets the ideas from the Greek and Hebrew, into language that is commonly used in that tribe. They don't search for archaic terms that nobody uses anymore. Their heart is to get the Word of God into the minds and hearts of their target group, not to debate archaic words vs. commonly-used words.

I have missionary friends in northern Mexico, Bill and Pat Risley and their 6 children. They moved there 10 years ago with nothing but an RV, the Jesus movie in Spanish, and some simple Spanish Bibles, the Version Popular. Mexicans in most rural villages cannot read well, they do not understand big words, and most could not read the Reina (like the KJV) version. The Risleys took that simple bible and wrote a series of very basic bible lessons. From that has flowed the the saving grace of God into their work... they have evangelised dozens of villages, given the gospel to thousands of poor Mexicans, who get saved and spread the gospel to their friends and families. The Risleys go through computers and printers like crazy, trying to keep up with the demand for their studies. They print up the bible in large print for the elderly. They have REVIVAL down there, true revival.

To say that 'WE know what the scriptures say' when we refuse to learn Greek and Hebrew, that to me is testing God. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that! You're not. I hope you know what I'm getting at... pride of any kind is nasty. If it causes division and pain to our fellow Christians, ouch, we're knifing ourselves in the back.

But hey, I'm not going to learn Greek and Hebrew anytime soon, either! I'm going to read a variety of translations that are based on the Greek and Hebrew, translations that are respected by people I respect. (this does not include the Archbishop of Canterbury, much to my regret). I regularly use the NASB and my newest favorite, The Message. My heart has been opened tremendously by The Message version. Eugene Petersen's introductions are the most moving sermons about the Bible that I've ever read. He has a handle on the whole thing which has freed my soul to rejoice in The Word like I did when I was newly saved!!

The over-arching idea I'm trying crazily to get out here in this post :lol: is that God is SO BIG, His Word is so wonderfully repetitious, if we're missing the BIG MESSAGE of applying His Truths to our lives and LIVING THEM, then it will not matter what version we're totin'!!! Because we're being disobedient to them ALL.

Which I'm bein', by sittin' here instead of paying my bills, checking my girls' schoolwork, and all the other stuff that's on my list... :roll:

Mrs. Fred

2004/6/30 13:45Profile
revival9

Arizona, USA

Re:

One more thing..

The house churches in China all use the same version, from what I can find out. I think there's only a few versions in modern Mandarin, anyway. But that has obviously helped to keep them united.

Mrs. Fred

2004/6/30 13:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The house churches in China all use the same version, from what I can find out. I think there's only a few versions in modern Mandarin, anyway. But that has obviously helped to keep them united.

Mrs Fred, yes thats exactly it if you have a congregation reading from 10 different translations confusion will abound. I really believe its a big part of the lack of unity amongst many churches and members, we need the same source. I too have respect for the KJV version and many of the preachers on this site used the KJV. Tozer has a really good article on the KJV I should try and find it.

2004/6/30 14:59Profile
All2and4Him

Re:

If you really want the best translation, dont go with the KJV. The church of england is hardly qualified as Gods holy servants entrusted to bring us the accurate translation of the Word of God. It has since the beginning been bent on distorting the commands of God to suit the purposes of whoever was in charge at the moment. Why believe that the KJV is the most accurate when the hands that wrote and compiled them were that of the Church of England? Plus the KJV is going to be misconstrued because words in the postmodern era that are in the KJV mean something totally different. I am not satisfied with any translation because they do miss the meaning of a lot of greek. An example of this would be Jesus' confrontation of peter. My sister showed me this and I checked it up with a friend who knows greek but since I dont know greek it will be a very poor use of the greek here but it will get the point across. Consider it transliteration i guess. The actual conversation went something like this:

Simon, son of John, do you agape me more than these?
Yes Lord, you know that I phileo you.
Jesus said "Feed my lambs"
Simon Son of John, do you agape me?
Yes, Lord you know that I phileo you.
Jesus said, Take care of my sheep
Simon son of John, do you phileo me?
Peter was hurt when Jesus asked him the third time "do you phileo me?"

Very lost in translation there, and I havent seen it done right anywhere.

The best literal translation we have right now is the NASB. It is practically word for word translation out of the greek, but that makes it a hard read at times because sentence structure doesnt always make sense.

If you want a good old english translation I would go with Youngs Literal Translation.
It is much more accurate than KJV, but still doesnt get everything. I guess in order to get everything, there needs to be a transliterated version with a corresponding dictionary to explain it.

All to and for Him

John C. Kelly

2004/6/30 16:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Just adding my two cents:

I believe there is another reason for the explosion of new translations. It has become a business. Secular retailing has entered the competition in the distribution of Christian merchandice. In order to promote purchasing these items, the item must be different from the original. Controversy creates demand. Advertising distributes the temptation.

Only by use of the Word of God can one discern between evil and good.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/6/30 18:03Profile

Re: The Trojan Horse of Readability

Amen to this comment by Greg. I could not have said it better myself.

"This has been something that has been on my heart for a long time. The proliferation of new translations of the bible since the 1970's has caused a confusion in my heart over my 7 year walk with God and I can't imagine being in the place of an old saint of God that has grown up using 1 or 2 translations now to see 100's of translations available and people flocking to each one for difference of preference. In my life I would confess that I have lost a bit of a regard for the bible as Holy Scriptures and have lost much of my reverence for the Words of God. I personally am going back and reading the KJV bible more and finding that I am gaining back some of that reverence for the Words of God. This news story just shows the fruit of men at their worst toying with the Words of the Living God. How confusing this is becoming for Christians in our day and age. We must pray."

Not only does this version promote fornication but it is endorsed by the Archbishop of Canterbury who became a Druid.

Here he is, a supposed Archbishop over the Flock of Christ's Church, all dressed up as a Druid!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2172918.stm

And what exactly is he promoting?

1 Corinthians 7:8-7
KJV: "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."
New: "If you know you have strong needs, get yourself a partner. Better than being frustrated."

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
KJV: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."
New: "Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

Matthew 26:69-70
Authorized version: "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, 'Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.' But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest."
New: "Meanwhile Rocky was still sitting in the courtyard. A woman came up to him and said: 'Haven't I seen you with Jesus, the hero from Galilee?" Rocky shook his head and said: 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about!'"

Matthew 23:25
Authorized version: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!"
New version: "Take a running jump, Holy Joes, humbugs!"

According to Ekklesia, a London-based "theological think tank" that supports the "One" translation:
The translation is pioneering in its accessibility, and changes the original Greek and Hebrew nomenclature into modern nicknames. St. Peter becomes "Rocky," Mary Magdalene becomes "Maggie," Aaron becomes "Ron," Andronicus becomes "Andy" and Barabbas becomes "Barry."

This is not the first time Demon Possession has been pushed as "mental illness".

In keeping with the times, translator Henson deftly translates "demon possession" as "mental illness" and "Son of Man," the expression Jesus frequently used to describe himself, as "the Complete Person." In addition, parables are rendered as "riddles," baptize is to "dip" in water, salvation becomes "healing" or "completeness" and Heaven becomes "the world beyond time and space."

Here's how Williams, the top Anglican archbishop, describes the new Bible: "Instead of being taken into a specialized religious frame of reference – as happens even with the most conscientious of formal modern translations – and being given a gospel addressed to specialized concerns … we have here a vehicle for thinking and worshipping that is fully earthed, recognizably about our humanity."

In addition, notes Ekklesia, the archbishop praises Henson's translation for eliminating "the stale, the technical, the unconsciously exclusive words and policies" in other translations.

Thank the Lord for our modern scholars. We wouldn't understand the Bible without them.

A777

2011/5/3 12:40
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: New Bible translation promotes fornication

This is a horrendous work. This is why it is extremely dangerous to allow one individual to translate Scripture...or attempt to arrive to an edition that suits the man's own views on doctrine or Scripture.

All such individuals will give an account to God.

2011/5/3 12:44Profile

Re: New Bible translation promotes fornication

Brother, I hope this is sarcasm?

Quote:
Thank the Lord for our modern scholars. We wouldn't understand the Bible without them.

(I'm a simple soul. It can be easy to take words literally, if not born into English.)

2011/5/3 12:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy