SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Real Christians in the middle ages?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Real Christians in the middle ages?

I am in a Western Civilizations class in a secular college. We have been studying a lot about the middle ages. Obviously the Catholic "church" played a very large role in this era. The condition of the "Christians" and "church" of this time frame were vastly removed from God.

Does anybody have any information on REAL Christians during this time frame. I have to do a finals essay on a topic of my choice, as long as it relates to European history. I would like to make this my topic.

Any help?

2008/5/18 1:47Profile
paula4jc

Re: Real Christians in the middle ages?

Since the Christianity has been high jack by the rich starting with the Romans, it shall be a challenge to find information on "Real Christians."

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html

2008/5/18 14:02Profile
suzy

Devon, England

A good book on Church History should be able to fill you in; perhaps the internet, also. Foxe's Book of Martyrs will give you details of how dreadful life was for dissident Christians.

Here are some names of Christians that I have got from two or three books I have:

John Wycliffe and the Lollards - England
John Huss - Czekoslovakia
Peter Waldo and the Waldensians - France
Albigensis
Carthari
Savonarola in Italy
Erasmus
Tyndale
John Knox
The Scottish Covenanters
Henry Barrowe
Anabaptists
Count Zinzendorf and the Moravian Church at Herrnhutt, Germany
Luther
Zwingli
Huguenots

I may have extended beyond the Middle Ages. A few names of those who opposed the Catholic Church and its dominance and the majority of whom paid with their lives.

Happy researching and writing.

Suzy

2008/5/18 16:05Profile
suzy

Devon, England

Sorry, just putting my books away and my eyes fell on another book which should give you lots of information: "The Pilgrim Church" by E H Broadbent.

Suzy

2008/5/18 16:09Profile
bonni

montana usa

Re: the pilgrim church

I highly recommend this book, the pilgrim church. It is like a crash course on church history,"true" church history. I purchased a copy from The Berean Call/Dave Hunt. Another great but not very well known book is The Torch of the Testimony by author John W. Kennedy. He is from India, not sure where to find this book, it was given to me.

2008/5/18 18:56Profile

Re:

You might check out David Guzik's series on Church history. He covers the middle ages.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=395&min=140&orderby=titleA&show=20

http://www.enduringword.com/history_audio.html

2008/5/18 19:24

Re:

This might be helpful also.

[url=http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=XhgmX3ypW-0C&dq=the+early+dawn+or+sketches+of+christian+life+in+england+in+olden+time&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=HrR3U-eMUF&sig=9CvBO_tttFEqgATIiXrB_ARXumg#PPA1,M1
]The Early Dawn or Sketches of Christian Life in England in Olden Time[/url]
(this is a link to the book in google book form)

2008/5/18 21:59
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

Thank you so much. I think I should be able to find enough in these to do a solid essay. The reputation the Catholic Church purchased for Christianity today is terrible. No wonder so many educated persons have such a problem with the Christianity.

2008/5/19 17:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy