SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A PRAYER, AN ADMONITION BY ADRIAN CORNELISS 1552

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

A PRAYER, AN ADMONITION BY ADRIAN CORNELISS 1552

His prayer to God

O Lord of heaven and earth, who hast made all things out of nothing, who hast given me members after the image of Thy Son, I hope to offer them up now for Thy holy name; for Thou art the Lord, before whom every knee must bow, both in heaven and upon earth; hear my prayer, and let my incense be acceptable before Thee. Take not Thy grace from me, a polluted man of unclean lips; purify my mouth, that Thy name may be praised thereby. Incline Thine ear to me, and Thou shalt see how they fall upon me; but it is better for me to fall into the hands of men, than to sin in Thy sight; for Thine eyes are as a flame of fire, and Thy Word as a sharp, two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and Thou art a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart, and there is nothing hid before Thine eyes. Therefore I exclaim with David, Thy dear prophet, that it is better to fall into the hands of men, than into Thy wrath. Matt. 11:25; Gen. 1:27; Rom: 12:1; Phil. 2:10; Isa., 6:5; Susanna 23; Rev. 1:14; Heb. 4:12, 13.

O Lord, lead me into the land of Haran, in which I have not so much inheritance as to set my foot on, namely, the promised land, which I pray Thou wilt give me, out of grace and not for my own works or merits. Acts 7:4, 5. Deliver me with Lot from this generation. Preserve me, Lord, from the fierce teeth of the lions, which are many, yea, from the ferocious evening wolves, that let nothing remain till the morning, whose feet make haste to shed innocent blood. Zeph. 3:3; Prov. 1

16. O Ldrd, preserve me with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that the fire of blasphemy which proceeds out of their mouth, may not harm me. Dan. 3:27. O Lord, let my prayer be heard with that of Tobit and Sarah; hear my prayer with that of Elijah, and receive me as a burnt offering, living, holy and acceptable unto Thee, that the prophets of Jezebel may be confounded, and seduce Thy people no longer. Tobit 3:1, 11; I Kings 18:36; 19:4. Lord, preserve me,with Joseph from the wicked woman, that I may rather suffer myself to be deprived of my garment, namely, my first body; for we read, "He which is joined to a harlot is one body with her." Genesis 39:7; I Cor. 6:16. Preserve me, Lord; for I call heaven and earth to witness, that I - die innocently; for whosoever seeks to save his life, shall lose it; and whosoever loses his life for Thy sake, Lord, and the Gospel's, shall preserve it. I Macc. 2:37; Matt. 16:25. Hence, I cry with old Eleazer, "I will rather diegloriously than live stained with abomination, ".,II Macc. 6:19.

O Lord, behold, the burning wrath of a great multitude is kindled over us, and they shall take away certain of us, and feed the idle with things offered unto idols; but Thou, Lord, preservest me, Thou givest Thy servant bread in time of need, and water when he is thirsty, and in 'the ,day of tribulation Thou forgivest sins. II Esd. 16:68; Sir. 2:11. And Thou has said to Thy dear prophet, that though a mother forget her child to which she herself has, given birth, yet wilt Thou not forget us; for it is Thy Word, Lord. Isa. 49:15. Thou hast spoken through Thydear apostle Paul, "Come out from this wicked generation, and touch not the unclean thing. Then Thou wilt deliver us, and be our Father, and we shall be Thy sons and daughters." II Cor. 6:17, 18. We now also go forth without the camp, and will help bear Thy reproach. Heb. 13:13. Lord, teach us to pray according to Thy will, that we may pray in spirit and in truth, that we may truly call Thee Father; for a son must honor his father, and a servant his master. Mal. 1:6. Grant us therefore to be partakers of the Word which declares, "These are they who have not loved their life, but have delivered it into death; for those that are slain by men, have a better hope to expect from God, namely, that they shall be raised again; for Thou provest Thy chosen; Thou triest them as gold in the furnace, and Thou receivest them as an offering of burnt sacrifice." Ps. 66:10. Lord, now let Thy servant depart in peace.. Holy Father, sanctify Thy Son, that I may be found unblamable at Thy appearing. Keep me, holy Father for Thy holy name's sake. Amen. Luke 2:29; John 17:11.
An admonition of Adrian Corneliss, to the
friends

The rich .grace and peace of God our heavenly Father, who has purified us by the washing of regeneration, and the renewing of the Holy Ghost, has enlightened our hearts, and opened-the eyes of our understanding through the hope of the Gospel, and warned us, that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts; we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world, and keep ourselves unspotted from this world, before God the Father, who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge 'of the truth, that at the time of revelation we may have hope and consolation, and be counted among the number of the elect. The Father and His blessed Son Jesus Christ fit you for this, now and evermore. Amen. Tit. 3:5; I I Cor. 4:6; Eph. 1:18; Tit. 2:12; Jas. 1:27; I Tim. 2:4.

We, fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom all the building fitly framed together graweth unto a holy temple in the Lord, to the twelve tribes which are scattered

Page 528

abroad through cruel edicts and severe persecution, greeting. Eph. 2:19-21; I Peter 2:6; James 1:1. Hence, my dear brethren and sisters, do not become weary because you now suffer for a season, and have to flee from one city into another; but remember, my dear friends, that it all conduces to your happiness, and take for an example Tobit, with his wife and son, how he had to flee, and to be hid naked; likewise, Matthias with his sons and those who loved him, when he said, "Whosoever is pious and of good cheer, let him make his testament, and follow me." Matt. 10:23; Rom. 8:28; Tobit 1:19; I Macc. 2:27.

Take also Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob for examples, who dwelled in tents, and also others; for here we have no continuing city; they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, in hunger,. want and affliction, of whom the world was not worthy. Genesis 12. See, my dear friends, think not that you are the only ones, or that you are forsaken by the Lord, when some tempest assails you; but remember that we must through much suffering take the kingdom of God. Sir. 2:10; Acts 14:22. If the above-mentioned had been mindful of the country from whence they came out, truly, they might have had opportunity enough to have returned; but they declare plainly that they sought a country, a city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God; wherefore God was not ashamed to be called their God. Ex. 3:6. Thus, also, my dear friends, will He not be ashamed of us; for He says through His pious prophet Isaiah, "Can a mother forsake her own child, to whom she herself has given birth? Yea, she may forget it, yet will thy God not forget thee." Isa. 49:15. Consider, therefore, how the gracious Father has been with all the pious children of God, and how He has preserved and upheld them under His powerful hand, as we may clearly understand from Abraham; for when he went into a strange country, he often had had God for his comforter. He gave Jacob courage when he fled before his brother Esau. He fed Hezekiah three days and three nights, who complained of the blasphemy of Sennacherib. II Kings 19:6. He delivered the Jews through Judith, when they were besieged by Holofernes. Judith 13:8. He delivered the three young men from the heat of the fiery furnace, and was in the pit with Daniel, so that the lions did not devour him. Dan. 3:2 .5; 6:22. He delivered Israel from the bondage of Pharaoh. He delivered Rahab from the shadow of death. Josh. 6:25. He saved Susanna through Daniel. He delivered Peter from prison. He delivered John from the Isle of Patmos. He comforted Paul by the vision on the way to Damascus. He comforteth the apostles through the Comforter, the Holy Ghost. He turned Joseph's great sorrow into great joy in Egypt. Thus, God will also turn the sorrow of everyone of you into great joy, even as He Himself declares, "The world shall rejoice; but ye shall mourn and be sorrowful; but be of good cheer, God shall turn your sorrowinto joy. A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a child is born into the world. And, ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your sorrow shall be turned into joy, and your joy no man taketh from you." John 16:20-22.

Therefore, my dear friends, be not afraid of the sons of men, who pass away as grass."Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32. Be not of raid, my dear friends, of this tyrannous generation; fear not theln that kill the body; but I will show you whom you shall fear: fear him who after you are dead has power to cast into eternal fire. And, my dear friends, we have here a little suffering of tribulation, but it is very small in comparison with the everlasting torment or punishment.

John the Revelator says, "Fear God, and give glory to him." Rev. 14:7. And the prophet Esdras says, "Behold, God himself is the judge, fear him

leave off from your sins, and forget your iniquities, to meddle no more with them forever: so shall God lead you forth, and deliver you from all trouble. For behold, the burning wrath of a great multitude is kindled over you, and they shall take away certain of you, and feed you, being idle, with things offered unto idols. And they that consent unto them shall be had in derision and in reproach, and trodden under foot. For there shall be in every place, and in the next cities, a great insurrection upon those that fear the Lord. They shall be like mad men, sparing none, but still spoiling and destroying those that fear the Lord. For they shall waste and take away their goods, and cast them out of their houses. Then shall they be known who are my chosen; and they shall be tried as the gold in the fire." Therefore, my chosen, behold, the days of trouble are at hand, but the Lord will deliver you from the same. Be yd not afraid, neither doubt; for God is your guide, and the Lord will not leave you orphans; for He cares for us all, and will preserve us as the apple of His eye. II Esd. 16:6775; Wisd. 3:6; Jno. 14:18.

Hence, faint not at the tribulation in which we are, but adhere to the Lord, and the tempest will soon attack you; but, my dear friends, remember, as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ, since eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart; of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him. Eph. 3:13; Matt. 7:25; II Cor. 1:5; I Cor. 2:9. Let everyone therefore, that has this hope in him, purify himself, even as He is pure, and go out from this sinful generation, and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light; for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise

Page 529

from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. I John 3:3; Eph. 5:11-14.

Hence, my dear friends, if there should be yet some among you, that are slothful or drowsy, let them wake up now, or they will be shut out with the foolish virgins. O my dear friends, it will not avail that some of you know the way. O my dear friends, knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth; for it avails not to know the way, but it must be walked: and though it is' strait and narrow, and fraught with much labor, it must nevertheless be walked. I Cor. 8:1; John 13:17; Matt. 7:14.

Therefore, my dear friends, who have become partakers of the heavenly calling, make good use of the time of grace, and look not to those who proceed so lukewarmly and slothfully; but strive to enter in at the strait gate; for many will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. Luke 13:24. Why, my dear friends? Because they seek to enter in by another way, which is not commanded us. But those who enter in by Christ, since He is the way, they are the ones that shall inherit the city, whom the Bridegroom will make sit down at the table, and will serve them. But, my dear friends, the lukewarm, who are neither cold nor hot, God will begin to spew out of His mouth, who say they are rich, and increased with goods, and know not that they are poor, miserable, naked and blind. Hence, Solomon says, "Go to the ants, thou, sluggard, and consider their labor; they gather in the summer their sustenance for the winter." And Jeremiah says, "The crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people observe not the time." O ye ignorant, the ox knoweth his master's crib. Ye who say, It will be fair weather tomorrow, and it cometh to pass; O ye, who can discern the face of heaven and earth, why can ye not discern among yourselves that which is right? Matt. 16:3. Therefore, my dear friends, take heed that none of you be found slothful; but let your loins be girded, and have your staff in your hand, to eat the passover; for we have a passover to eat, which is Christ; Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. Ex. 12:11; I Cor. 7:8.

Hence, my dearly beloved friends, think it not strange, if you are tried by the fire of tribulation, as though some strange thing happened to you; but be partakers of Christ's sufferings, that in the time of revelation, you may have hope and consolation. Let none of you suffer as a thief or murderer; yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf. For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God; and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the Gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Hence, Solomon says, "If the righteous arerecompensed, how much more the wicked and the sinner." I Pet. 4:12, 13, 15-18; Prov. 11:31.

Therefore, my dear friends, take heed and flee the shadow of this world, and seek not to escape the cross, so that you go into other countries, to obtain great liberty. Oh, no, my dear friends, but always submit to the cross; for the children that are under the rod are therefore obedient, fearing lest their Lord should come, and find them sleeping; hence, they are always watchful, that they may not be found sleeping; for as soon as the flesh obtains a little freedom, it takes still more of its own accord. My dear friends, though I have written this thus boldly, accept it nevertheless in good part; for I am not your lord in this matter; but I write as my own flesh testifies. Hence, my dear friends, walk in wisdom toward them that are without; remain among the scattered flock of Israel; for where blood is shed, gain is to be had; there put your pounds out to usury, each according to the gift received from God; in honor preferring one another; and endeavoring to show yourselves tried ministers unto God. -Col. 4:5; I Pet. 1:1; Matt. 25:15; Romans 12:10. Lay aside all malice and hypocrisy, and, as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: if so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious, to whom ye have come, as unto a living stone; hence, build yourselves up a spiritual house, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people, that ye, as obedient children, should show forth the praises of him who hath called you. I Pet. 2:1-5, 9.

If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; fulfill your ministry wisely, that your treasure be not evil spoken of; and as you were diligent in going astray from God, so give now so much the more diligence to turn to the Lord, and abound therein. I Pet. 4:11; Baruch 4:28; Rom. 6:19. Do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith, and see that you add to your faith virtue; and to virtue, knowledge; and to knowledge, temperance; and to temperance, patience; and to patience, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, charity; for if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord; but he that lacketh these things is blind, and gropeth for the wall, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Gal. 6:10; II Pet. 1:5-9. Let it not be so with you, my friends; make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness, and if you are partakers in the spiritual things, share also the temporal things with one another, and let this be done in order, and remember that it is more blessed to give than to receive; for we read, John 6, that some followed the Lord, to whom He said, "Ye follow me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled." Luke 16:9; Rom. 15:27; I Cor. 14:40; Acts 20:35; John 6:26.

Therefore, my dear friends, labor not for the

Page 530

meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life; for man doth not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God; for"meats for the belly, and the belly for meats; but God shall destroy both it and them." Luke 6:27; Deut. 8:3; 1 Cor. 6:13.

Thus, my dear friends, if you live according to the Gospel, you will be fruitful branches of the true vine Christ, comely olive branches grafted into Christ. My dear friends, be not moved away from the Gospel by the enemies of the cross of Christ, who would preach the Gospel without the cross. Do not believe them, for they are those who love your flesh, and kill your souls, and put pillows under the arms, or under the head. Avoid them, for such serve not the Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by good words and, fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. For we are not ignorant of the devices of the devil; since he can transform himself into an angel of light; what wonder is it then that his ministers assume this appearance? Phil. 3:18; Ezek. 13:18; Rom. 16: 17,18; 11 Cor.11:14,15.

O my dear friends, a thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill; hence, beware, lest you be deceived by them, and thus fall from your own steadfastness. John 10:10; II Pet. 3:17. Therefore, hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown; and let him that standeth take heed lest he fall; for what hast thou that thou didst not receive? for every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. Rev. 3:11; I Cor. 10:12; 4:7; James 1:17.

Therefore, exhort one another daily, my dear friends, the more so, as the day of Christ is at hand, and while it is called today. Heb. 3:13. And see that you care for one another; and, my dear friends, when you assemble together, make not many inquiries concerning others, or as to where each particular one lives; in such things be ignorant, and in malice be children; but in understanding be old and hoary, and keep the doors of -thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom. I Cor. 14:20; Micah 7:5. My dear friends, if you have understanding, answer your neighbor; if not, lay your hand upon your mouth, lest you be caught in an unseemly word, and put to shame. Sir. 5:12. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, and may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Eph. 4:29, 30.

My dear friends, herewith I hope to take leave. Do not take it amiss that I have written you a little; I hope it will tend to edification; I have done my diligence with the little gift the Lord has given me.

By me; Adrian Corneliss, glazier, your unworthy brother, who am not meet to be called a brother. I Cor. 15:9. Written in my imprisonment, sittingin the stocks, with two fellow companions, and one who is separately confined, and two sisters that are below us. We wait daily for the redemption of our body; and our pilgrimage, I trust, is half finished. I hope that we shall soon- have completed the rest.

We commend you to the Lord, dear brethren. Remember the prisoners; we remember you in our prayers. Heb. 13:3. Salute all lovers of the only salvation by name; the times are too perilous now, to mention them; hence we must govern ourselves accordingly.

Let me inform you, how it went with us in our last time. When we were to be offered up on Monday, a priest came to us on Sunday, who talked to us, and said, "You have to die."

Answer. "Thus did also the Jews, who said

'We have a law, and by our law you must die.' So must we also, as the decree of the Emperor shows." But we asked the priest, whether their things were right.

He replied, "Not all; for we have also abuses in our church."

We then said, "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." I Cor. 5:6.

He replied, "It has to be leavened."

By this we may perceive that their things are not good. But beware of such; for they are not sent from God. Jer..14:15. Salute all lovers of the divine word.

2008/5/17 16:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy