Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Silence to God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

Silence to God

Silence to God

Psalm 62:1
Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.

“Truly my soul waiteth upon God.”… Literally the words run, “My soul is silence unto God.” That forcible form of expression describes the completeness of the Psalmist’s unmurmuring submission and quiet faith. His whole being is one great stillness, broken by no clamourous passions, by no loud-voiced desires, by no remonstrating reluctance.… The enemies’ wrath awakens no flush of passion on his cheek, or ripple of vengeance in his heart.… He is like Stephen, when he kneeled down among his yelling murderers, and cried with a loud voice, “Lord! lay not this sin to their charge.” So here we have the strongest expression of the perfect consent of the whole inward nature in submission and quietness of confidence before God.…
Alas, how far from this is our daily life!… Is not the troubled sea which cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt, a truer emblem of restless, labouring souls than the calm lake?…
The silence of the soul before God … requires the intensest energy of all our being to keep all our being still and waiting upon him.

Alexander Maclaren, Exposition of Holy Scripture

2008/5/15 5:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy