SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why We Need the Puritans

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
burningfur

Re:

When we learn to surrender and die to our manifold resolutions and endless chores before God, to our strict, self-induced and imposed Bible reading and prayer marathons and our incessant comparisons of ourselves with the lives of other great saints, [b]God will then meet us abundantly right where we are. He has a unique, custom-tailored plan for each one of us, at different levels in His School, and we shouldn't cookie-cut the process by trying to imitate heroic icons such as Spurgeon and Ravenhill and Wesley and the amazing Puritans.[/b]

One of the greatest posts I've ever read on here.

Thank you for posting this.

2008/5/13 4:03Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Speaking for myself,even my own discipline is brought to me via His grace

Amen, Margaret. This is true with me as well. The more I study the Word and the closer I am able to get to God and fellowship with Him at the feet of Jesus, the more I am being convinced of the doctrines of grace and my own sore depravity. When I say "discipline" in the Holy Spirit, I am alluding to the fact that God doesn't [i]physically[/i] open our Bibles for us, He won't forcefully take the fork out of our mouths if we are given to overeating, He doesn't [i]physically[/i] lift us out of bed (though He wakes us up) in the mornings for quiet time. I wish He would do all these things! But he doesn't make these choices for us, though He certainly urges us unto them and deeply impresses it upon our spirits to concede to His will in all these areas.

I have recently become fascinated with the word [i]"let"[/i] in the New Testament, in the letters of Paul. [i]Let[/i] the Word of Christ dwell in you richly with all wisdom (Col. 3:16); [i]Let[/i] no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth (Eph 4:29), etc. These here speak of areas God has already given us dominion over, areas God expects us to comply with according to His will, and He gives us the grace to obey and conquer through Christ, with the acts of obedience not being forced upon us but rather exercised on our part to Him by love. This is the "discipline" in the Holy Spirit I was referrring to, the willful disciplining of ourselves to comply to God's will - to the [i]letting[/i] of them become evident in our own lives by the strength and faith of the Son of God Who is our life.

2008/5/13 8:52Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Quote:
The more I study the Word and the closer I am able to get to God and fellowship with Him at the feet of Jesus, the more I am being convinced of the doctrines of grace

Ah, praise God so much,perhaps the more we realize that the more Christ glorifies, and the more honor The Father receives..that's the crux, I suppose, of our faith..all back to Christ crucified, all glory to Him and Him alone. I dont dare consider myself in anyways "matured" in faith, as the apostle had not found himself "attained", through the walk in life's journey.

I ended the day last night filled with joy, for the love of Christ demonstrated by some of you brethren here on SI has been so refreshing. I'm really thankful to borrow some fellowship from you here from time to time.

"..let there be light..". Indeed, from the third verse in Scripture onward, all of God's orchestration, all of His design, even our ultimate hope in life and beyond, on earth and in the universe, was, has been, is and will be, I believe, "let" by God, from the grandest to the minuest, from Adam's life to our lives. That's just how wonderful He is, and how truly blessed we are ,as His children. For us, not only did HE give us new birth, but continue to guide us by being our Schoolmaster...

Some saw me as being pathetic sometimes, even thought I have "self-esteem" issue whenever I tried to give God credit for every little thing in my life. But if the apostle Paul had found no goodness in himself(edited), and when God has clearly claimed that He would share no glory with man...ah..one understands.

In light of the Christian duty, to the extreme, even that duty, when we look closer, is for our own benefit. Surely it's GOD Who bends my will, my knees and calls upon me to assume my responsiblity towards Christ's grace in my daily life. There are so much distractions in life, family members and their affairs alone often cause me to neglect the important responsibilty towards our Lord, our private worship and "knowing" Him.

The Lord does not only use His precious Word, He uses men like the puritans, He has even used some of you and some wonderful preachers on the videos here to set me straight in His Path. (Thank you SI)

It's important, I gather, for Christians to boast Christ and Him alone. As for living, to always bear in mind of God's total sovereignty, even more so perhaps, our total responsiblity.

Thank you brethren,
Margaret

2008/5/13 11:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy