Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Not drunken, as ye suppose

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Not drunken, as ye suppose

(Act 3:2-12)

And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.

Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God. And all the people saw him walking and praising God: And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.

And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering. And when Peter saw it,[i] he said unto the man before them all, "this is the power of God upon you" raising up his voice and shouting "Fire! Fire! Fire!" then at once he pushed upon the mans forehead causing him to fall backward unto the ground. And those who had followed and saw were greatly confused. Some said "First they heal the man, telling him to stand and he stands, then they send him back unto the ground again?" Others chimed in, "Nay, he has been 'slain-ed in the Spirit'. Still others protested "There is no precedent for this, God is not the author of confusion as you can attest that this surely is." And because of their words many thought to stone them for they dared to speak out against such foolishness.[/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Act 2:1-15

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. ... And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. [i]Still others protested "they are drunk in the spirit". Then the disciples began to stagger and stumble, some fell to the ground in fits of convulsions, others began to laugh hysterically, while still others barked like dogs, some grunting as pigs and mimicking of other farm animals. Not only that but they acted in like manner to these animal actions, writhing on the ground, crawling about. There was much pandemonium over the whole matter and the people were left bewildered, confused and many were so greatly offended that they begged the people to search the scriptures for any such precedence, correlation or any good reason for such madness, these began to rent their clothes and throw up dust into the air.[/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two extreme examples and may it be forgiven to put the scriptures to such an aberration. It is something that has been very much in mind in light of recent days and that which is now up in everyones ears due to events in Florida.

The premise was, how would these 'manifestations' actually fit into the scriptures if what is happening now happened then? For many there is no need to go to such lengths but for those caught up, persuaded or otherwise defending these matters, can only pray that they might truly consider if there is any sensibility, any truth, any spiritual moorings whatsoever.

This whole matter is deeply grievous and it has been painful to keep silent for so long. Many replies shelved, re-written, some discarded as knee-jerk reactionary ... something else, something different seems necessary. To jump in the fray and end up repeating the same said warnings left me wondering if it is of any use, will those that need to hear, hear? Will they reconsider, do they recognize the concerns that many of us have, not to their detriment but because we care for their souls?

Can but thank God for those very voices that brought me further to my senses, that brought the suppression that was kept out into the clear so many years back, might it somehow be repaid by this same pleading here.

I have found this whole recent anti-revival a great paradox in a certain sense. Is it better that this whole thing is so media driven that it can be seen for itself live, in real time or is this just as problematic that it can further reach the gullible as well as the sincere yet ignorant, the babes in Christ, such as we once all were? Does even our denouncing and warning feed more fuel to fire, spread the contagion further than if it was left well enough alone?

Some of the postings here and there are many, are confusing in themselves, they are disconnected by their number and here is yet another adding to the mix. To attempt some sort of cohesiveness thought it best to draw them altogether at bottom, that all things might be taken together, that the warnings not be missed, nor the actual 'revelations' (unscriptural as they) and other atrocities not given short shift.

[i]If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?[/i] 1Co 14:23

[i]For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.[/i] 1Co 14:33

Principle and precedence. Leaving aside the matter of tongues themselves, [i]mad[/i] or madness and [i]confusion[/i] is the truth of the matter before us. These things that contribute to either are decidedly not of the Father nor of the Holy Spirit and forever will they be in no way, no form, of any such characteristic of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is emphatically denied. From some earlier notes:

Drunkenness.

[i]And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;[/i] Eph 5:18

[i]For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.[/i] Act 2:15

[b]Not[/b] is the key word here. Nowhere in scripture, not locally (as in the immediate sense) nor in the entirety of Gods word is any impedance given toward being drunk or drunkenness as a commodity to be sought after nor matched or attached like a barnacle to some nefarious spirituality. It is emphatically denied. Therefore 'drunk in the spirit' is more than a misnomer, it is foolishness, reprehensible and incredibly appalling. That it needs to be even addressed, that it is forwarded and even 'practiced', taught, caught, manipulated or cajoled, believed without question or even gone without testing is so beyond even the dullest of minds that it seems impossible to believe that it continues. The unbeliever is watching all this and must shake his head at it in disbelief. The incredible thing is to convince some Christians of the falsity and foolishness of it and all that it produces proves to be a far more difficult task. Like it or not, this absurdity is a witness and a testimony, it is a trampling of the Son of God underfoot, it is beyond embarrassment and shame, it is a reproach and repulsive, for a river of tears just over this incredible idiocy.

Falling down, being pushed over, blown on, smacked in the head, the 'slain in the spirit' phenomenon. Similar nonsense and foolishness. There is absolutely no precedence for this anywhere in scripture, not in kind or fashion nor temperament nor character. The great extracted verse that is oft used to fortify this whole shenanigan is completely off base. If anything, anything at all that might be said as to those who shrank back at the Lord's pronouncement it would be codified in [i]fear[/i]. This aberration that has been going on now for so many years is a bastardization of manipulation and as others have well pointed out a soulish, Pavlov's dog style conditioning that expects and gets what it thinks it has coming to them. Probably the greatest overlooked part of the stupidity of it all is, for what great purpose? Some supposed thrill, that one has been touched by the great man of God who in a real New Testament grasp would be tearing his clothes and exclaiming, [i]we also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein[/i], and therein lies the greater problem still. That these are men who have set themselves up as objects of special and specific attraction, that they have revelations and knowledge and special healing powers despite their attempts to distance themselves from it by some show of false humility, their very actions defy their conduct.

It is an audacious place they have taken. They are false teachers and they are leading others astray, there is no getting around it, there is no argument against it. The scriptures warning us all of these things are numerous and often want to be argued over. Time and again we have been warned, [i]do not be deceived[/i]. They were written on purpose for a purpose and we had better pay all the attention we are capable of to just why that is. Incentive and motive, sincerity or deviousness matters not at all. All of us are quite capable of being gullible and led astray even in our own hearts if not more so in our thoughts. We reject things (hopefully) everyday, all the day long. We make judgments on what to wear, what to eat, in the most subtle and seemingly silly things that we never think about. Turn right or turn left, if we are not paying attention before we know it we are lost. So it is here with these things. Sincerity is not the test of authenticity.

This aberration that I hoped and prayed would just fade off and go away seems to have grown even more legs and now wants to be copied and transfered to other places and other churches and on to more destruction and ruin. This age of present day Christianity, more than anything needs to do just the first thing first; [i]Grow up![/i] It baffles the mind the immaturity of those who ought to know better. Teachers and pastors not only falling for such things but endorsing and promoting the same. This present world is in such great spiritual darkness and this, this is the answer: A circus like atmosphere and a promoting of those who tell tall tales? Revelations and so called prophetic utterance, unchecked, untested but accepted wholesale without question or even good reason, only so that the adherents can be tickled and coddled and made happy? 'Laughing revivals', when there is no impudence for laughter but sorrow?

[i]Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.[/i] Luk 6:25

We must fight this with all our strength and all our might and without equivocation or compromise.

[u][b]A sincere warning[/b][/u]; These links below may cause you to become sick to your stomach and can be grievous to your spirit. Some need to take this bitter pill to convince them to turn away, others, as has been attested to by many, have recognized that internal intimation that they should no longer watch these things. Some of them, in the written accounts found unable, unwilling to finish so absurd and disgusting, so depleting and depressing this deception.

[i]Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.[/i] Gal 6:7

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=6916&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]John Scotland - Toronto Airport Blessing[/url]
([i]Note the date of this posting, 2005[/i]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23211&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Revival in Florida??[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23215&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]A FALSE HEALING REVIVAL?? -Florida[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23228&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]What to beleive.[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23326&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Lakeland Florida Revival[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23328&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]"ANGELS" & the FLORIDA HEALING REVIVAL - Warning! -strom[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23344&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Question Sermons[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23378&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]videos of steve hill and john kilpatrick at florida revival[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23427&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]MOST "CONTAGIOUS" ANOINTING - Florida - WARNING! -strom[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23415&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRITS THAT TODD BENTLEY OPERATES UNDER[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23401&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]RUN FOR YOUR LIFE FROM THIS END-TIME DECEPTION!!![/url]

Of neccesity and if anything that might not be skipped over;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=23379&forum=34&post_id=&refresh=Go]The Devil and the Church by E.M. Bounds[/url]

[i]For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.[/i] Eph 5:8-16

2008/5/10 11:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy