SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Power of Words (DeMoss)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

The Power of Words (DeMoss)

[b]For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."[/b] Mt.12:37

I was was so riveted by this verse a few months ago that I knew I had to study more about the power of the words I use. This is a summarized version of Nancy DeMoss's 4-week devotional sudy called The Power of Words. Enjoy!

[b]The Power and Impact of Words[/b]

Proverbs 18:21 puts it this way: Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat it's fruits." Think about it! Our words can give life...or they can give death. One way or the other, the words we speak have results. Our words can do enormous good--or enormous damage. Proverbs 10:11 reminds us that our words can be like a spring of refreshing water to a weary traveler. My friend, God is our fountain. He alone can motivate and enable us to speak words that give true life.

Too often I talk without thinking, never considering the one receiving my words. It's easy to blurt out words when we're under pressure. Although we may have no intention of hurting others, our words can inflict great damage. Much like a burned forest, the damage can take years to restore.("So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire..." Jms. 3:5-6)

Even one thoughtless word has consequences. Perhaps you heard such destructive words as a child... words you've never been able to forget. Even though you know today that those words weren't true, they still hurt deeply. You can still hear them ring in your heart: "Your'e dumb. You won't amount to anything. I wish you'd never been born."

We can't control the words that are spoken to us. but we can focus on the words that we say to others. Sometimes it's easy for me to say careless or destructive words without thinking when I'm with those I know best. It's when I'm with my family, a close friend, or a dear colleague that I often let down my guard and say discouraging, impatient words--words that wound rather than heal.

Many times we are blinded concerning how our words offend. We need to ask the Lord to open our eyes to ways that our words are hurtful or damaging. May our words give grace, blessing, and hope to those around us.

To be continued with: Words-[b]The Power to Heal[/b]

Blessings to you all, Chanin

2004/6/22 12:50Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: The Power of Words (DeMoss)

Quote:
I was was so riveted by this verse a few months ago that I knew I had to study more about the power of the words I use. This is a summarized version of Nancy DeMoss's 4-week devotional sudy called The Power of Words. Enjoy!

Great stuff Chanin! One thing I have really learnt especially while running SI is the fact of the verse you quoted that words can justify or condemn, and also bring life and death. Its an interesting thing that Jesus spoke words of life but then he said to others who wouldnt accept him that the words he spoke (which are life) would bear witness against them (and essentially become death to them). Also by listening to alot of the audio sermons and also tyring my best to communicate in the forums I have come to realize this truth in an experiential way ;-)

2004/6/22 12:56Profile
moreofHim

Re: words

A friend of mine listened to Wilkerson's "Who Shall Prolong His Days" yesterday at the recommendation of Ron (inthelight). She let me know that she was greatly convicted about the words that come out of her mouth. I plan to listen to this one today as well.

"Set a guard before my mouth, keep watch at the door of my lips". (she quoted)

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/22 13:09Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Yes, Chanin it is very convicting. I tend to listen to messages rather incessantly until I'm sure that whatever the Holy Spirit is saying through someone "sinks in." Sobering words indeed. How easy it is to forget the power of our words...

2004/6/22 21:07Profile
moreofHim

Re: Power of Words pt.2

Power of Words pt.2

[b]The Power To Heal[/b]

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Pro. 16:24

Sit back, my friend, and close your eyes. Recall a time when someone said words that really encouraged you. Perhaps it was your mom or dad who said, "I believe in you!" Or maybe a good friend uttered those needed words of affirmation, "Don't give up! You can do it!" or possibly a teacher's words were all you needed when she said, 'You have a real gift in this area!"

Honey is a natural sweetner that boosts energy. Likewise, words of encouragement boosts our spirits. Sweet words can minister spiritual and physical health. May we speak healing words that promote good heath.

[b]Superior Quality[/b]

"The tongue of the righteous is choice silver." Pro. 19:20

There are more than 100 references to the tongue in the book of Proverbs. In that book alone, I counted 12 verses where the word "heart" is mentioned in connection with the tongue. *(so, what is in the heart- comes out from the mouth)

Godly people speak out of the overflow of a Godly heart.They are spiritually minded and don't just speak about spiritual things on Sundays. They are restrained and think before they speak.

So, how do people get tongues of righteousness? Well, their hearts are connected to the Source of wisdom and grace-- the one who reveals Himself in Scripture.

I want to be a wise and godly person, but I don't always want to pay the price for a heart of wisdom. It takes discipline and effort to fill our hearts with God's Word-- and to have a tongue that is choice silver.

"Choice silver"--think about those two words. Silver, of course, is a prized metal. The tongue of the righteous is excellent, superior, worthy-- it is "choice" silver-- it has been carefully refined and is the highest possible quality.

to be continued with "A Guarded Tongue"

2004/6/23 14:50Profile
moreofHim

Re: Power of Words Pt.3

[b]A Guarded Tongue[/b]

"Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." Ps.141:3

The presence of a guard indicates the possibility of danger. We don't guard something that doesn't need to be protected.

Notice where this guard is posted. Not at the ear--to protect us from being hurt by words we might hear, or at the heart--to shield us from the wounds that are sometimes caused by what others do. Rather, the Psalmist asked God to post a sentinel at his own mouth knowing that the greatest danger he faced was not what others might do to him, but rather, what he might say that would harm others.

Our tongues can be dangerous weapons. Careless, harsh, or untimely words inflict pain on those who hear. Too often we let our words run unrestrained. Even though we may later regret our words, we can never take them back.

Holding our tongues is a challenge! Pr. 29:11 says, 'A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Do you say everything (or almost everything) you think or feel? "The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things." Pr. 15:28

People who are measured in their words are thought to be wise. "When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent." F.Fenelon says in The Seeking Heart,"Try to practice silence as much as general courtesy permits. Silence encourages God's presence, prevents harsh words, and causes you to be less likely to say something you will regret."

What are some of the sins that can result when we speak too much or too quickly? (e.g., exaggeration, gossip, insensitive comments...) "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him." Pr. 29:20

Are you sometimes quick to jump to conclusions or to interrupt and respond before hearing all the facts?--"If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame."Pr. 18:13

It doesn't come naturally for us to consistently speak with wisdom and kindness. It comes supernaturally. And by the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit, we can have wise, kind hearts and speak wise, kind words.

To be continued with "An Index of our Souls"

2004/6/24 23:33Profile
moreofHim

Re: Power of Words-Final Article

Power of Words- An Index of Our Souls

[i]"The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord, but gracious words are pure." Pro. 15:26 [/i]

St. Frances de Sales said, "Our words are a faithful index of the state of our souls." During this study we have examined the words of our mouths and recognized a correlation between what we say and our hearts. Today, let's examine ourselves- to take an index of our souls.

Below, you will find a list of several heart conditions, along with the words that flow out of each type of heart. "Search me, O God, and know my heart". Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the index of your soul as you prayerfully review the heart conditions.

[u]Foolish heart/words [/u]

*Critical heart ~ critical words

*Mean spirit ~ mean-spirited words

*Proud heart ~ arrogant words

*Unloving heart ~ unkind words

*Self-centered heart ~ self-centered words

*Profane heart ~ profane words

*Impatient heart ~ impatient words

*Discontented heart ~ complaining words

*Deceitful heart ~ deceitful words

[u]Wise heart/words[/u]

*Spiritual heart ~ spiritual words (spirit led)

*Kind heart ~ kind words

*Humble heart ~ humble words

*Loving heart ~ loving words

*Unselfish heart ~ other-centered words

*Gracious heart ~ gracious words

*Pure heart ~ pure words

*Patient heart ~ patient words

*Grateful heart ~ thankful words

*Honest heart ~ truthful words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

O Lord, would you do a work of grace in my heart as it relates to my tongue? I want to be a servant who opens her mouth with wisdom and who speaks with the law of kindness. Lord, it's not just what I say-- it's how I say it... the TONE of my voice... the timing.

O Lord, please change me, transform me, forgive me, cleanse me, remake me, guard me. Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth. Keep watch over the door of my lips.

May the words that come out of my mouth be words of beauty and grace that draw people TO the Savior who is the living, eternal Word of God. Amen

(Adapted from The Power of Words by Nancy DeMoss)

Many blessings to you all and may the Lord keep revealing Himself more and more to you!!!

A fellow traveler, Chanin

2004/6/28 15:21Profile
Compton

Re:

Today's entry from Oswalds Chambers Utmost for His Highest looks at a remarkable statement Jesus makes about his words. In sharing this, i though it worth bringing up this edifying thread.

Chambers writes;

"Jesus said, “The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63). Once, the Bible was just so many words to us — “clouds and darkness”— then, suddenly, the words become spirit and life because Jesus re-speaks them to us when our circumstances make the words new. That is the way God speaks to us; not by visions and dreams, but by words. When a man gets to God, it is by the most simple way— words."

It is often commonly accepted that words are not as important as actions. Yet if Jesus says that his words are spirit and life, then words are most important after all. Do we understand just how words can be spirit and life? And would this understanding cause us to speak differently towards one another?

Blessings,

MC

2012/1/3 23:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy