SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Finger of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

The Finger of God

[b][color=660000] But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. [/color][/b]

- Luke 11:20(KJV)

[i]What is meant by the phrase 'the finger of God'?[/i]

This phrase calls to mind the Magicians that withstood Moses and Aaron in performing or imitating, in some way or measure, the signs which God had done by them before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And they did this, untill there was one sign that they could not imitate or perform, and of which they said

"This is the finger of God"

And here in this text, the Lord Jesus indicates that the casting out of devils is an evident token of the presence of the Kingdom of God.

The word here translated [i]cast out[/i], according to Strong's is

G1544
ἐκβάλλω
ekballō
ek-bal'-lo
From G1537 and G906; to eject (literally or figuratively): - bring forth, cast (forth, out), drive (out), expel, leave, pluck (pull, take, thrust) out, put forth (out), send away (forth, out).

That it means 'to eject' and taking also how the Lord Jesus goes on to tell of the strong man being overcome by one stronger than himself, this speaks to me then of the excercise of superior force and power.

The magicians, it would appear, not only could not duplicate what was done, but it would also seem that they could not stop it, or undo what had been done.

The Gospels have many accounts of where the Lord Jesus forcefully expelled, or ejected, or cast out demons from those possesed by them, by the word of His authority. A power greater than them had come. And they could not withstand Him.

And that is what I think we can understand in this phrase. The Kingdom of God had come in overwhelming power. And the powers of darkness could do nothing to stop it.

2008/5/8 19:46Profile
vico

Re: The Finger of God

Hallelujah...

2008/5/9 1:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy