Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Born Again Catholics

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Thought you'd all find these articles interesting. My guess would be that Krispy's already read them, but here they are.

[url=http://www.gracegems.org/7/catholic_chronicles.htm]The Catholic Chronicles by Keith Green[/url]

Jordan

2008/5/7 15:16Profile

Re:

Oooo!! Thats one of Keith's best articles! I had forgotten about that!

Krispy

2008/5/7 15:42

Re:

This is a timely post as the Revival Conference in Greenock, if it attracts locals" they very possibly could be Catholics. I myself was born and raised a Catholic in Greenock. This is a tough working class town and it is always important when you go into any place to know a little of the culture. When Paul spoke on Mars hill he spoke accordingly, he knew his audience. Same truth, different presentation.

Catholics make up about 13% of the population of Scotland. When you consider that if a Scotsman is jailed(we imprison more people in Scotland than any other European country) he is 66% more likely to be a Catholic. Catholics in Scotland are as tough as nails and usually come from the most poorest housing schemes or projects. I myself came from a place called "The Strone," an infamous place in Greenock and known , with another place called the "Gibby," to be the most underpriveleged schemes in Europe.

Catholics where I come from would absolutely deny being Christians, they would say they were Catholics. The vast majority of Catholics no longer attend Mass. Scotland is a barren wasteland as far as Christianity is concerned. Some may count this as bleak, I say that it is ripe for evangelizing. Yet, we must be clear, Catholics are not Christians. There may be some who are working there way out, but Catholics deny the very truths we stand upon(most actual Catholics in Scotland will know little to nothing of their actual doctrine) This is why Billy Graham was seen in many parts of Scotland as a controversial figure as he counseled people who got "saved," to, if they were Catholic, go back to the Catholic church.Many Christians in Scotland saw this as akin to pulling someone out of the frying pan and then throwing them into the fire.

So, if you are going to pray for Catholics, and especially Catholics who may attend the revival conference, please pray that the Lord will give discernment to the speakers, and that they will know something of the culture, as most who have came to Scotland have known nothing of the makeup of that country. Also, lets never give false hope to any Catholics. I once heard a messianic Jewsish man preach that if you truly had a heart for Jewish people, then share the Gospel. I would say the same about Catholics. If you truly love them and have a heart for them, do not tell them that they are wrong, tell them about the living Jesus, the Jesus that lives in your heart, the Jesus that changes everything. This is very different from their concept of a remote God that they only get close to through "saints," or a piece of bread on a Sunday.

2008/5/7 16:46
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

appolus wrote:
This is a timely post as the Revival Conference in Greenock, if it attracts locals" they very possibly could be Catholics. I myself was born and raised a Catholic in Greenock. This is a tough working class town and it is always important when you go into any place to know a little of the culture. When Paul spoke on Mars hill he spoke accordingly, he knew his audience. Same truth, different presentation.

Catholics make up about 13% of the population of Scotland. When you consider that if a Scotsman is jailed(we imprison more people in Scotland than any other European country) he is 66% more likely to be a Catholic. Catholics in Scotland are as tough as nails and usually come from the most poorest housing schemes or projects. I myself came from a place called "The Strone," an infamous place in Greenock and known , with another place called the "Gibby," to be the most underpriveleged schemes in Europe.

Catholics where I come from would absolutely deny being Christians, they would say they were Catholics. The vast majority of Catholics no longer attend Mass. Scotland is a barren wasteland as far as Christianity is concerned. Some may count this as bleak, I say that it is ripe for evangelizing. Yet, we must be clear, Catholics are not Christians. There may be some who are working there way out, but Catholics deny the very truths we stand upon(most actual Catholics in Scotland will know little to nothing of their actual doctrine) This is why Billy Graham was seen in many parts of Scotland as a controversial figure as he counseled people who got "saved," to, if they were Catholic, go back to the Catholic church.Many Christians in Scotland saw this as akin to pulling someone out of the frying pan and then throwing them into the fire.

So, if you are going to pray for Catholics, and especially Catholics who may attend the revival conference, please pray that the Lord will give discernment to the speakers, and that they will know something of the culture, as most who have came to Scotland have known nothing of the makeup of that country. Also, lets never give false hope to any Catholics. I once heard a messianic Jewsish man preach that if you truly had a heart for Jewish people, then share the Gospel. I would say the same about Catholics. If you truly love them and have a heart for them, do not tell them that they are wrong, tell them about the living Jesus, the Jesus that lives in your heart, the Jesus that changes everything. This is very different from their concept of a remote God that they only get close to through "saints," or a piece of bread on a Sunday.

That's good to know, thanks! Now I know how to pray better.

Jordan

2008/5/7 18:35Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I was raised a Catholic and was born again in the arly 70's through the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. There was a priest that was a leader in the renewal that taught us about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. There were many Catholics that were born again through this move of God that took place in just about every denomination. I left the Catholic Church after I discovered that many of the teachings in the Church were contrary to the Word. There are many Catholics that have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that will never leave the Catholic Church. I don't agree with them on many of their beliefs but I can still have fellowship with them because they truly know the Lord and are manifesting the fruit of the Spirit.

2008/5/8 0:53Profile

Re:

Quote:
There are many Catholics that have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that will never leave the Catholic Church. I don't agree with them on many of their beliefs but I can still have fellowship with them because they truly know the Lord and are manifesting the fruit of the Spirit.

It is also written:

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

If they know the same Lord, how possibly could they put up with false teachings in their midst (you are saying their remain faithful members of the Catholic Chuch)? What does light have to do with darkness? "And what agreement has the temple of God with idols" (2 Cor. 6:16)?

Here we don't have an institution which has some right doctrines and some wrong doctrines, and you can stay in it as long as you don't agree with the things that are wrong and cling to what is right. We have a church which preaches [i]another[/i] Gospel and [i]another[/i] Jesus! How can one serve the Lord and remain faithful to the Catholic Church at the same time?

2008/5/8 5:55
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I agree that Catholics that are born again should come out of that denomination but many will not do it. The same can be said for those in the Protestant denominations. These denominations only divide the Body of Christ. The basis of our fellowship as Christians is not what denomination you belong to, but are you a member of the Body of Christ? Are you connected to the Head and are truly a born again believer?

2008/5/8 6:26Profile

Re:

Quote:
I agree that Catholics that are born again should come out of that denomination but many will not do it. The same can be said for those in the Protestant denominations. These denominations only divide the Body of Christ. The basis of our fellowship as Christians is not what denomination you belong to, but are you a member of the Body of Christ? Are you connected to the Head and are truly a born again believer?

If they are truly born again, yet remain in the Catholic Church, then they are in disobedience to the Word of God. There is plenty of grace for a new believer in this situation, but as they mature and gain in the knowledge of the Word of God then they will come to a cross roads... either remain in the RCC, or be obedient to the Lord and come out. If they choose disobedience they dont lose their salvation, but their growth in the Lord will be stunted.

You cant live in disobdience to the Word of God and expect to grow and mature spiritually.

Krispy

2008/5/8 7:02

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy