SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A.W. Pink-Doctrine of the Depravity of Man

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Good word, Mike. Like I say, I'm a Calvinistic Arminian.

Truth is a river that runs between two banks of extremes.

Krispy

2008/5/7 10:03

Re: BY GEORGE...

I often go to a certain grocery store which sells food that the labels have been removed from. When I open a can of beans and taste them I know they're Campbell's as I am so familiar with these because I've been eating them since childhood. Labels may be appropriate for food items but the Kingdom of God is not food and drink. I need no labels to determine who my christian brothers are. Sadly, and to the dishonor of Christ many are intent on labels and labelism. Surely, He knows them that are His as we know those who are our children. Eph.3:14,15 "For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom every family in Heaven and on earth is named."

Here are just two of our brothers whose testimonies I believe decry labelism while affirming the Scriptures.

George Mueller -- George Mueller is famous for the orphanages he founded and the amazing faith he had to pray for God's provision. Not many people know the theology that undergirded that great ministry. In his mid-twenties (1829) he had an experience which he records later as follows:
Before this period [when I came to prize the Bible alone as my standard of judgment] I had been much opposed to the doctrines of election, particular redemption (i.e. limited atonement), and final persevering grace. But now I was brought to examine these precious truths by the Word of God. Being made willing to have no glory of my own in the conversion of sinners, but to consider myself merely an instrument; and being made willing to receive what the Scriptures said, I went to the Word, reading the New
Testament from the beginning, with a particular
reference to these truths. To my great astonishment I found that the passages which speak decidedly for election and persevering grace, were about four times as many as those which speak apparently against these truths; and even those few, shortly after, when I had
examined and understood them, served to confirm me in the above doctrines.
As to the effect which my belief in these doctrines had on me, I am constrained to state for God's glory,that though I am still exceedingly weak, and by no means so dead to the lusts of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, as I might be, and as I ought to be, yet, by the grace of God, I have
walked more closely with Him since that period. My life has not been so variable, and I may
say that I have lived much more for
God than before (Autobiography, pp. 33-34).

George Whitefield -- Whitefield was a great
evangelist in the 18th century. He said, "I embrace the Calvinistic scheme, not because
Calvin, but Jesus Christ has taught it to me. Alas, I never read anything that Calvin wrote; my doctrines I had from Christ and His apostles; I was taught them of God. I know Christ is all in all. Man Is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure. Oh, the excellency of the doctrine of election and of the saints' final perseverance! I am persuaded, til a man comes to believe and feel these important truths,he cannot come out of himself, but when convinced of these and assured of their application to his own
heart,he then walks by faith indeed!"

And I can personally testify to the same.

2008/5/7 10:53
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Truth is a river that runs between two banks of extremes.

Amen, and let us see that we remain adrift and not disembarked and tied to a pet mooring. This river is a blessed place, for it affords equal views of either embankments while ever moving with the current closer and closer to the delta. And what is a delta? It is the end of the river that opens into a vast sea where enbankments no longer obfuscate our vision of God's enormity. This unhampered sea of fathomless mystery, power and grace ought to be where our journey leads.

Remember, our view of the landscape is always changing as we float down the river. We grow, the terrain changes. In most places on earth, the closer you approach the sea, the flatter the land terrain becomes, meshing at last into a flat beach with an elevation equal to sea level.

2008/5/7 11:15Profile

Re:

Gee Paul... for a Texan, that was rather poetic!

Are you one of those "cowboy poets"?

Krispy

2008/5/7 11:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy