SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : David Brainerd warns about false revival just before death

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

David Brainerd warns about false revival just before death

This letter below was written by David Brainerd just before he went to sleep and woke up with Jesus. That dear saint of the Most High has some sobering words of wisdom and some solemn warning against false revival in some of his last words. Now as you read this, picture this physically emaciated yet spiritually powerful young man pour his heart out in his farewell speech to his fellow minister:

[b]From the journal of David Brainerd[/b]
[i]As composed by Jonathon Edwards[/i]

[i]A letter to his brother John, at Bethel, the town of christian Indians in New Jersey; written likewise at Boston, when he was there on the brink of the grave, in the summer before his death.[/i]

Dear brother,

I am now just on the verge of eternity, expecting very speedily to appear in the unseen world. I feel myself no more an inhabitant of earth, and sometimes earnestly long to “depart and be with Christ.” I bless God, he has for some years given me an abiding conviction, that it is impossible for any rational creature to enjoy true happiness without being entirely “devoted to him.” Under the influence of this conviction I have in some measure acted. Oh that I had done more so! I saw both the excellency and necessity of holiness in life; but never in such a manner as now, when I am just brought to the sides of the grave. Oh, my brother, pursue after holiness; press towards this blessed mark; and let your thirsty soul continually say, “I shall never be satisfied till I awake in thy likeness.” Although there has been a great deal of selfishness in my views; of which I am ashamed, and for which my soul is humbled at every view; yet, blessed be God, I find I have really had, for the most part, such a concern for his glory, and the advancement of his kingdom in the world, that it is a satisfaction to me to reflect upon these years.

And now, my dear brother, as I must press you to pursue after personal holiness, to be as much in fasting and prayer as your health will allow, and to live above the rate of common Christians; so I must entreat you solemnly to attend to your public work; labour to distinguish between true and false religion; and to that end, watch the motions of God’s Spirit upon your own heart. Look to him for help; and impartially compare your experiences with his word. Read Mr. Edwards on the Affections, where the essence and soul of religion is clearly distinguished from false affections.

Value religious joys according to the subject matter of them: there are many who rejoice in their supposed justification; but what do these joys argue, but only that they love themselves? Whereas, in true spiritual joys the soul rejoices in God for what he is in himself; blesses God for his holiness, sovereignty, power, faithfulness, and all his perfections; adores God that he is what he is, that he is unchangeably possessed of infinite glory and happiness. Now when men thus rejoice in the perfections of God, and in the infinite excellency of the way of salvation by Christ, and in the holy commands of God, which are a transcript of his holy nature; these joys are divine and spiritual. Our joys will stand by us at the hour of death, if we can be then satisfied that we have thus acted above self; and in a disinterested manner, if I may so express it, rejoiced in the glory of the blessed God. I fear you are not sufficiently aware how much false religion there is in the world; many serious Christians and valuable ministers are too easily imposed upon by this false blaze. I likewise fear, you are not sensible of the dreadful effects and consequences of this false religion. Let me tell you, it is the devil transformed into an angel of light; it is a brat of hell, that always springs up with every revival of religion, and stabs and murders the cause of God, while it passes current with multitudes of well-meaning people for the height of religion. Set yourself, my brother, to crush all appearances of this nature among the Indians, and never encourage any degrees of heat without light. Charge my people in the name of their dying minister, yea, in the name of him who was dead and is alive, to live and walk as becomes the gospel. Tell them, how great the expectations of God and his people are from them, and now awfully they will wound God’s cause, if they fall into vice; as well as fatally prejudice other poor Indians. Always insist, that their experiences are rotten, that their joys are delusive, although they may have been rapt up into the third heavens in their own conceit by them, unless the main tenour of their lives be spiritual, watchful, and holy. In pressing these things, “thou shalt both save thyself, and those that hear thee. ”

God knows, I was heartily willing to have served him longer in the work of the ministry, although it had still been attended with all the labours and hardships of past years, if he had seen fit that it should be so: but as his will now appears otherwise, I am fully content, and can with utmost freedom say, “The will of the Lord be done.” It affects me to think of leaving you in a world of sin: my heart pities you, that those storms and tempests are yet before you, which I trust, through grace, I am almost delivered from. But “God lives, and blessed be my Rock:” he is the same Almighty Friend: and will, I trust, be your guide and helper, as he has been mine.

And now, my dear brother, “I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and give you inheritance among all them that are sanctified. May you enjoy the divine presence both in private and public; and may “the arms of your hands be made strong, by the right hand of the mighty God of Jacob!” Which are the passionate desires and prayers of Your affectionate dying brother,

DAVID BRAINERD.

2008/5/5 16:33
SaintLina

Mexico

Re: David Brainerd warns about false revival just before death

Quote:

And now, my dear brother, as I must press you to pursue after personal holiness, to be as much in fasting and prayer as your health will allow, and to live above the rate of common Christians; so I must entreat you solemnly to attend to your public work; labour to distinguish between true and false religion; and to that end, watch the motions of God’s Spirit upon your own heart. Look to him for help; and impartially compare your experiences with his word...

I fear you are not sufficiently aware how much false religion there is in the world; many serious Christians and valuable ministers are too easily imposed upon by this false blaze. I likewise fear, you are not sensible of the dreadful effects and consequences of this false religion. Let me tell you, it is the devil transformed into an angel of light; it is a brat of hell, that always springs up with every revival of religion, and stabs and murders the cause of God, while it passes current with multitudes of well-meaning people for the height of religion. Set yourself, my brother, to crush all appearances of this nature among the Indians, and never encourage any degrees of heat without light. Charge my people in the name of their dying minister, yea, in the name of him who was dead and is alive, to live and walk as becomes the gospel. Tell them, how great the expectations of God and his people are from them, and now awfully they will wound God’s cause, if they fall into vice; as well as fatally prejudice other poor Indians. Always insist, that their experiences are rotten, that their joys are delusive, although they may have been rapt up into the third heavens in their own conceit by them, unless the main tenour of their lives be spiritual, watchful, and holy. In pressing these things, “thou shalt both save thyself, and those that hear thee.... ”

And now, my dear brother, “I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and give you inheritance among all them that are sanctified. May you enjoy the divine presence both in private and public; and may “the arms of your hands be made strong, by the right hand of the mighty God of Jacob!” Which are the passionate desires and prayers of Your affectionate dying brother,

DAVID BRAINERD.

2008/5/5 22:11Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Well worth reading, thank you.

2008/5/5 22:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
There is a powerful anointing on these words ...

At the risk of misunderstanding ... Can we drop this from from our vocabulary brother?, it is the language that speaks of these very same things that are in our midst.

[i]I fear you are not sufficiently aware how much false religion there is in the world; many serious Christians and valuable ministers are too easily imposed upon by this false blaze. I likewise fear, you are not sensible of the dreadful effects and consequences of this false religion.[/i]

And now, this day that we live in ...

Remarkable to think that Brainerd in his dying breath would have this as a paramount concern ...
In the year 1747.

2008/5/5 23:52Profile

"And never encourage any degrees of heat, without light." How profound! He saw the difference of experience, without that awful repentence that cringes, and bows, at His light.

I think of Lakeland, July 13, 2008. Deep unlit stadium room, pitch black, as pulsating strobes of lightening like stabs illuminate masses of swaying youth submitted to pounding rhythmic waves of drum beat and song; all so sensual about our most romantic bond to a thought about a god and his love. The band is dressed in all black. It has been the mandated color here for all ministry. Black.

Do you see the difference, in what is a servant, and what is not? Can you imagine Bentley, or even one of the multitudes of the entourage in the place of a Brainard? It is sacrilege to think it, they are so divorced from a life crucified unto Him!

Heat without light breads lust, and is dangerous.[see the golden calf.] These people love to worship in the dark night, and cry for the angels to come, and minister among them. They may just get their desire.

Quote:

Josef_Urban wrote:
This letter below was written by David Brainerd just before he went to sleep and woke up with Jesus. That dear saint of the Most High has some sobering words of wisdom and some solemn warning against false revival in some of his last words. Now as you read this, picture this physically emaciated yet spiritually powerful young man pour his heart out in his farewell speech to his fellow minister:

[b]From the journal of David Brainerd[/b]
[i]As composed by Jonathon Edwards[/i]

[i]A letter to his brother John, at Bethel, the town of christian Indians in New Jersey; written likewise at Boston, when he was there on the brink of the grave, in the summer before his death.[/i]

Dear brother,

I am now just on the verge of eternity, expecting very speedily to appear in the unseen world. I feel myself no more an inhabitant of earth, and sometimes earnestly long to “depart and be with Christ.” I bless God, he has for some years given me an abiding conviction, that it is impossible for any rational creature to enjoy true happiness without being entirely “devoted to him.” Under the influence of this conviction I have in some measure acted. Oh that I had done more so! I saw both the excellency and necessity of holiness in life; but never in such a manner as now, when I am just brought to the sides of the grave. Oh, my brother, pursue after holiness; press towards this blessed mark; and let your thirsty soul continually say, “I shall never be satisfied till I awake in thy likeness.” Although there has been a great deal of selfishness in my views; of which I am ashamed, and for which my soul is humbled at every view; yet, blessed be God, I find I have really had, for the most part, such a concern for his glory, and the advancement of his kingdom in the world, that it is a satisfaction to me to reflect upon these years.

And now, my dear brother, as I must press you to pursue after personal holiness, to be as much in fasting and prayer as your health will allow, and to live above the rate of common Christians; so I must entreat you solemnly to attend to your public work; labour to distinguish between true and false religion; and to that end, watch the motions of God’s Spirit upon your own heart. Look to him for help; and impartially compare your experiences with his word. Read Mr. Edwards on the Affections, where the essence and soul of religion is clearly distinguished from false affections.

Value religious joys according to the subject matter of them: there are many who rejoice in their supposed justification; but what do these joys argue, but only that they love themselves? Whereas, in true spiritual joys the soul rejoices in God for what he is in himself; blesses God for his holiness, sovereignty, power, faithfulness, and all his perfections; adores God that he is what he is, that he is unchangeable possessed of infinite glory and happiness. Now when men thus rejoice in the perfections of God, and in the infinite excellency of the way of salvation by Christ, and in the holy commands of God, which are a transcript of his holy nature; these joys are divine and spiritual. Our joys will stand by us at the hour of death, if we can be then satisfied that we have thus acted above self; and in a disinterested manner, if I may so express it, rejoiced in the glory of the blessed God. I fear you are not sufficiently aware how much false religion there is in the world; many serious Christians and valuable ministers are too easily imposed upon by this false blaze. I likewise fear, you are not sensible of the dreadful effects and consequences of this false religion. Let me tell you, it is the devil transformed into an angel of light; it is a brat of hell, that always springs up with every revival of religion, and stabs and murders the cause of God, while it passes current with multitudes of well-meaning people for the height of religion. Set yourself, my brother, to crush all appearances of this nature among the Indians, and never encourage any degrees of heat without light. Charge my people in the name of their dying minister, yea, in the name of him who was dead and is alive, to live and walk as becomes the gospel. Tell them, how great the expectations of God and his people are from them, and now awfully they will wound God’s cause, if they fall into vice; as well as fatally prejudice other poor Indians. Always insist, that their experiences are rotten, that their joys are delusive, although they may have been rapt up into the third heavens in their own conceit by them, unless the main tour of their lives be spiritual, watchful, and holy. In pressing these things, “thou shalt both save thyself, and those that hear thee. ”

God knows, I was heartily willing to have served him longer in the work of the ministry, although it had still been attended with all the labours and hardships of past years, if he had seen fit that it should be so: but as his will now appears otherwise, I am fully content, and can with utmost freedom say, “The will of the Lord be done.” It affects me to think of leaving you in a world of sin: my heart pities you, that those storms and tempests are yet before you, which I trust, through grace, I am almost delivered from. But “God lives, and blessed be my Rock:” he is the same Almighty Friend: and will, I trust, be your guide and helper, as he has been mine.

DAVID BRAINERD.

2008/7/14 23:55
HeartSong

Re:

A little earlier I was out watering flowers in the cool of the evening - the moon and the stars were shining through patches of dense, dark, moving clouds - and lightening was lighting up the columns of clouds to pure white as thunder rumbled through the night air. Oh, the majesty of our great and awesome God!

Man's vain attempts to replicate this majesty, even with the assistance or prodding of the powers of darkness, fall far short, and are an aberration of Truth. God will not be mocked.

2008/7/15 2:47Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Quote:
And now, my dear brother, as I must press you to pursue after personal holiness, to be as much in fasting and prayer as your health will allow

Indeed I have been slack regarding this and God forgive me. Incredible how fasting is so often taught as an occasional activity and yet here is Brainerd saying that we ought to be fasting as much as ones health will allow. Much to pray and ponder on here.

2008/7/15 5:22Profile
IsaiahSix3

Re:

Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to read Edwards' book about him.

2008/7/15 8:56Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I have been wanting to read Edwards' book about him.

For anyone else interested in reading about Brainerd, you can peruse the book online [url=http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/works2.ix.i.html]HERE[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2008/7/15 10:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy