SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Confess your faults one to another

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Confess your faults one to another

I've been rather quiet on here the past couple of weeks but there's one thing I wanted to share.

One thing I've been convicted heavily over the last few weeks and something the Lord is purging from my heart is a critical spirit. It's been directed primarily at myself but I want to apologize in the event I may have offended anyone here. I want to ask for your forgiveness and I hope and pray that we all seek to encourage each other to fervently seek Jesus as Lord in every area of our lives.

Why does God want us to confess our sins to one another? I believe the primary reason is that God wants to create true humility. A heart that's willing to admit sin, failure, and seek repentance and restoration is what God wants us to have.

The verse focuses on prayer as well, which is absolutely critical but I wanted to focus on the confession aspect, which is often overlooked at least in my own experience. I appreciate everyone on here and enjoy the fellowship, even when I'm rather quiet, which I'm prone to be at times.

James 5:16 (AMP) Confess to one another therefore your faults (your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins) and pray [also] for one another, that you may be healed and restored [to a spiritual tone of mind and heart]. The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working].

God bless you all.......

2004/6/21 17:57Profile
moreofHim

Re: Confess your faults one to another

Ed,

thank you so much for this post. and thank you for being this humble to admit these things. it is very honorable of you.

i know I am very guilty of this many times too. it is very hard for me because one of my main gifts is discernment (or maybe it's not a gift as much as a knowledge?) i struggle between what is discernment and when is it appropriate- and then what is just having a critical spirit.

i am doing a study on the "power of your words" which is helping me control my tongue in this area. it's my thoughts that will be next. :-)

i hope that i will always be able to apologize or repent when i am wrong. it is not always easy.pride is what keeps us from coming clean.

thanks again and may God bless your heart! (God gives grace to the humble!)

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/21 18:17Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Why does God want us to confess our sins to one another? I believe the primary reason is that God wants to create true humility. A heart that's willing to admit sin, failure, and seek repentance and restoration is what God wants us to have.

Yes, confessing your faults is a humbling thing. It is human nature to want to be well thought of by others so we have great difficulty in admitting our sins in public. But I'm convinced it is important to do and as you quoted from James, God commands it. As the verse in James says, it can bring healing, I believe that has both a physical and spiritual meaning. In my own experience I have found confession before others - general confession of faults or confession unto reconciliation towards someone I have wronged - to be spiritually healing. The flesh sure did struggle against it but I was glad I did it afterwards.

I have also done this with an accountability group at my church, we then pray for one another, asking God for forgiveness and the strength and grace to overcome our sins.

Quote:
One thing I've been convicted heavily over the last few weeks and something the Lord is purging from my heart is a critical spirit.

There is a terrific sermon that David Wilkerson delivered where he touches on how we defile ourselves with our critical words, I was deeply convicted by it when I heard it. You can download it from this site at the following link;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1454]Who Shall Prolong His Days[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/6/21 19:42Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Wow! I've been starting to pray for this site and ministry, and here's just one way my prayers have been answered! What beautiful fruit! Thanks for sharing & encouraging us with what God's teaching you & doing in you.

2004/6/21 20:40Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Wow! I've been starting to pray for this site and ministry, and here's just one way my prayers have been answered! What beautiful fruit! Thanks for sharing & encouraging us with what God's teaching you & doing in you.

Yes Yodi I totally agree.. thank you so much for being so plain and honest with us brother Ed. There is a brokeness and humility in your posting that is admirable and I really am encouraged myself to search my heart. What a wonderful fruit it is when brethren can openly and honestly confess shortcomings and sins. Its actually a mark of revival when people who are long-standing Christians openly confess their sins to each other in great tears and travail of heart. Charles Finney in his 1st three revival lectures on this site goes through some scenarios why churches don't have revival and one of the ones he keeps coming back to is spiritual pride and backbitting which is unconfessed before God and man.

2004/6/21 20:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy