SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Nothing at all, beside this manna

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Nothing at all, beside this manna

I was pondering, asking the Lord, how is it that we fall into deceptions, seeking after and running around the whole world for "blessings" and "signs". One of the thoughts that came to me was something that Patricia St. John wrote about concerning the discontent of Israel in the wilderness...
And the mixt multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat? We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick: But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes.
(Num 11:4-6)

It seems almost impossible that they could forget all about the whips and bondage back in Egypt. But as time passed, their minds strayed back to some of the old things and they were no longer satisfied with what God had provided. For us this means Jesus, and He is all God ever promised us. He may add or take away a great many other mercies, but all we actually need to be content is in Jesus; and if He does not content us, nothing ever will. When we long for the things that other people or this world can give us, we are saying Jesus doesn’t satisfy us. “Nothing at all,” we mutter, “beside this manna!”... Again we repeat, because this is the root of our miseries and discontents and breakdowns, that if we are not satisfied with Jesus we shall never be satisfied with anything else. To desire Him, and to know that we desire Him only, is an ambition that will always satisfy, and for which we can strive all our lives, always achieving and always having more to achieve. Personally, we would rather die than turn back from this ambition.

The Israelites were looking to satisfy fleshly appetites in the wilderness. Are we seeking to satisfy soulish appetites by seekiing an "experience"? Could it be that we just aren't content with Christ and Christ alone? Are we saying, "our soul is dried away: there is nothing, beside this manna."?

[i]Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.[/i]
(John 6:31-35)

In Christ,

Ron

2008/5/2 19:58Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Nothing at all, beside this manna

Quote:
Could it be that we just aren't content with Christ and Christ alone?

When we read such a thing, the inclination is to gasp and say “certainly not!”. But I had to deal with exactly this thing a little over a year ago. I was actually reading through an old journal earlier today and ran across an entry from the day after a very “charismatic” women’s retreat. Here is what it said:

“I have been unable to finish recording my account of the events of the retreat. I have wondered if it was because I was tired, but there seems to be no passion regarding the weekend. While I was there in the middle of all the eventfulness of it, it was very exciting. But I find myself asking “what has been gained?” Did I go to seek a sign, a manifestation, something supernatural that would make me feel special? How have those things changed me? They have only made me realize a bit more that there will never be a sign or wonder that will satisfy the longing of my soul – only the wonder that is Jesus Christ. There is no deeper or more profound experience than the love of God is Christ Jesus. And I will find everything I have been searching for when I learn to lose myself in Him.”

Quote:
all we actually need to be content is in Jesus; and if He does not content us, nothing ever will.

Oh, that we may know Him.

Amen.

2008/5/2 20:45Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy