SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Suppose an unholy man went to heaven -ryle

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Suppose an unholy man went to heaven -ryle

[b]Suppose an unholy man went to heaven[/b]

by J. C. Ryle

"Every man who has his hope in Christ, purifies himself." 1 John 3:3

Suppose for a moment, that you were allowed to enter heaven without holiness. What would you do? What possible enjoyment could you feel there? To which of all the saints would you join yourself—and by whose side would you sit? Their pleasures are not your pleasures, their tastes are not your tastes, their character not your character. How could you possibly be happy in heaven—if you had not been holy on earth?

Now you love the company of the frivolous and careless, the worldly-minded and the covetous, the reveler and the pleasure-seeker, the ungodly and the profane. There will be none such in heaven! Now you think that the people of God are too strict and particular and serious. You rather avoid them. You have no delight in their society. But remember, there will be no other company in heaven.

Now you think that praying and Scripture reading, and hymn singing, are dull and melancholy and stupid work. But remember, the inhabitants of heaven rest not day and night, saying, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty!" and singing the praise of the Lamb! How could an unholy man find pleasure in such an environment as this?

An unholy man would feel like a stranger in a land he knew not, a black sheep amid Christ's pure flock. The song of angels and archangels, and all the company of heaven—would be a language he could not understand! The very air would seem an air he could not breathe! I know not what others may think, but to me it does seem clear—that heaven would be a miserable place to an unholy man! It cannot be otherwise.

People may say, in a vague way—that they "hope to go to heaven after they die." But surely, they do not consider what they say. We must be heavenly-minded, and have heavenly tastes, in the present life—or else we shall never find ourselves in heaven, in the life to come.

Are you holy? I do not ask whether you attend your church regularly, whether you have been baptized, or whether you profess to be a Christian. Are you yourself holy this very day—or are you not? Why do I ask so straightly, and press the question so strongly? I do it because the Scripture says, "Without holiness no man shall see the Lord." It is written—it is not my imagination; it is the Bible—not my private opinion; it is the Word of God—not of man: "Without holiness no man shall see the Lord." (Heb. 12:14).

Alas, what searching, sifting words are these! I look at the world—and see the greater part of it lying in wickedness. I look at professing Christians—and see the vast majority having nothing of Christianity, but the mere name. I turn to the Bible and I hear the Spirit saying, "Without holiness no man shall see the Lord." Surely it is a text which ought to make us solemnly consider our ways, and search our heart.

You may say, that "if you were so holy—you would be unlike other people." I answer, "I know it well. It is just what you ought to be. Christ's true servants were always unlike the world around them—a holy nation, a separate people—and you must be so too, if you would be saved!" You may say, "at this rate very few will be saved!" I answer, "I know it. It is precisely what Jesus told us in His sermon on the mount—Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there are who find it!" Few will be saved, because few will take the trouble to seek salvation--men will not deny themselves the pleasures of sin for a little season.

You may say, "these are hard sayings; the way is very narrow!" I know it is. The Lord Jesus said so eighteen hundred years ago. He always said that men must take up the cross daily, and that they must be ready to cut off hand or foot, if they would be His disciples. That religion which costs nothing—is worth nothing!

2008/5/1 0:57Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Suppose an unholy man went to heaven -ryle

Quote: 'That religion which costs nothing-is worth nothing!

How true that is. Since Christ gave His life for us, we should be willing to do the same.

Easier said than done, but needful.

2008/5/1 9:32Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Double post-deleted.

2008/5/1 9:35Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Wow great words. This is something to think about during the day.

Thank you for sharing this.

2008/5/1 9:52Profile

Re:

Quote:
To which of all the saints would you join yourself—and by whose side would you sit? Their pleasures are not your pleasures, their tastes are not your tastes, their character not your character. How could you possibly be happy in heaven—if you had not been holy on earth?

I always find it very interesting when I come on this forum to see the various topics that interest christians most. I look at the number of views and replies of these topics from the members of this forum. This is a very tell tale sign of the state of the church and shows just how interested or uninterested we really are in true holiness and revival.

2008/5/1 10:13
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Psalm18,
You are right in what you say. We want revival but we don't want to be holy.

Guess it is a fear of our loss of identity, or the painful process of becoming holy.

Both holiness and revival cost. It won't be handed to us on a plate.

God did give the land to Israel, but they were still responsible for driving out the nations.

We will get revival, but it will be on God's terms, not ours.

God bless.

2008/5/1 10:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy