Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bill Johnson Discernment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Bill Johnson Discernment

Well tonight after going out to do some evangelism, i began to speak with a college age man about repentance and faith in Christ. As i laid the Gospel message out he began to tell me he was a Christian. He also told me he was part of Harvest Rock Church. But he did also start talking about a man named Bill Johnson briefly. I do remember hearing this mans name before from another Christian while doing some witnessing and knew he was pastor of bethel church in Redding, Ca., and preached signs and wonders.
Also before making this thread i did do a forum search and say that someone has also asked about discernment with some of his teaching. As i read his websites Belief page, it is very accurate to what i know the bible teaches. It seems there are those who believe that this man preaches some heresy. If you look at their link page you will see names like Benny Hinn, (Brownsville Revival, which i know nothing about but just have heard some things), and Todd Bentley, who i believe Greg posted about recently with regard to false teaching.
Anyway, i just decided to create a new post, and would like any feedback or thought on this man Bill Johnson, his church, or if you know of some of the movements he might be caught up in.(i think Word of faith is what people seem to be linking him to).
Also it seems both this young man i met tonight and the group of men i met last time i heard this name Bill Johnson have a big problem with telling people they are going to hell. They really seem to believe God loves everyone, and hates no one. I see how this type of theology allows men like Benny Hinn and Bill Johnson to preach more of a prosperity false gospel.
Again, any feedback or thoughts are appreciated.

2008/4/27 6:21Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Bill Johnson Discernment

Quote:

BrianPaul wrote:
Also before making this thread i did do a forum search and say that someone has also asked about discernment with some of his teaching.

Did you see these:

[b]Bill Johnson[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19543&forum=35

[b]Is the Prophetic Movement Revival in our day??![/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18630&forum=40

2008/4/27 7:33Profile
divdasunder

Ohio

Re:

When I posted asking about Bill Johnson, I got two types of replies in pm's. One person said he went to a conference and left early he was so repulsed by what he saw, and the other said Bill was an awesome man of God. The second one also said that people criticize Bill for his belief that miracles are for today. My reply said I belived that too but was concerned not about healing, but about the feathers, gold dust and such. I never got a response.
I will also mention that my pastor had started to listen to some of his teachings. He was a little wary of it, but got talked into going to a conference of Bill's about a week after the Revival conference which he also attended. When he returned from that conference he threw all of the teachings that he had been given away.
Hope this helps!!

2008/4/27 8:50Profile
JKail

Re:

I have read Bill Johnson's books and listened to several of his teachings and they are awesome. He is one of my favorite modern day authors. I would highly reccomend his book "When Heaven Invades Earth"

2008/4/28 13:46Profile
whizzpopping

"prosperity false gospel"

I won't speak for Bill Johnson, because i don't know exactly what he would say, but he believes that God wants us to prosper and be in good health, because it is absurd that God wants use to be poor and sick.

I would say, instead of finding information on forums and by word of mouth, go to Bethel's (where Bill pastors) website and look at their fruit.

maybe.. start here.

http://www.ibethel.org/features/testimonies/index.php?f=testimonies.php&page=24

or...

http://www.ibethel.tv/

If sermonindex is really promoting "genuine BIBLICAL revival", i would say, Bethel Church is the place to start.

I would rather not discuss doctrine or opinions until we see the fruit.

2008/12/27 3:03Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
If sermonindex is really promoting "genuine BIBLICAL revival", i would say, Bethel Church is the place to start.

On the contrary, this would not be advisable. There is a tremendous amount of issues and items along with those they associate with. I do appreciate the emphasis to go to source material - Check the links, read the articles if you must, but this is not something SermonIndex would recommend nor endorse.

2008/12/27 8:32Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Hey Mike, Merry Christ and Happy New Year.

I whole heartedly agree. I have heard from people that have been to this particular ministry and it is full of signs and wonders and domination in it's promotional index in their being promoted through the ranks, to a higher plane of self reaching and proclamation of peace and prosperity through graduational promotion in their overwhelmingly structured classes within their own realm of teaching.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them , An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign ; and there shall no sign be given to it , but the sign of the prophet Jonas :

Sign:

Strong's Greek Dictionary
4592. semeion
Search for G4592 in KJVSL
shmeion semeion say-mi'-on
neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of 4591; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally:--miracle, sign, token, wonder.

See Greek 4591

This is good stuff for those seeking after worldly peace brokering of God in their going after peace and prosperity in making God their sugar daddy. The church is also closely using the college that is close to their church to futher their ministry. I won't go there because of my hatred of worldly ministry of Satan's signs and wonders and peace an prosperity doctrine.

Pray for them, there are some of Gods children there. Oh! How it hurts to see Christ used in this way.

Some will not agree with me, I don't like putting down other ministries, but the truth is, darkness is filling the Church, but God's light will prevail for those that are His, The Body of Christ, HIS CHURCH.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/12/27 16:47Profile

here we go again

everytime I see the word: "discernment", I automatically see the word, "pharisee" right behind it.

If you feel you must brothers and sisters, go ahead, devour yet another follower of Jesus.

Devour and divide, THATS the darkness that has crept into an increasingly hard hearted, cold, self righteous church in America.

Do you think that this looming economic depression is just an accident?...just part and parcel of economic cycles?

read John 17 and repent.

(just so you all know, the reason I posted this, is because I wanted to show my sister, who is a sister in the Lord, the fine sermon resources on this website, and she asked me about the forum. Great witness, gang. I'm writing this AFTER she went back in the house. Would to God some of you keep your "discernment" and your opinions to yourself and the Lord. Precisely the type of thread that has driven me from this forum)

As God is my witness, do yourselves a favor, focus on Jesus' love, and HE will provide you the good and Godly sense what to avoid, and what to cleave to, not some other saved sinner on the internet with his or her "opinion", read "discernment".

2008/12/27 18:47
boG

Las Vegas, NV

I am sorry brother Natan, but I am going to have to correct you on that sentiment.

[b]Revelation 2
1. [/b] "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: The One who holds the seven stars in His right hand, the One who walks among the seven golden lampstands, says this:
[b]2. [/b] `I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;
[b]3. [/b] and you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary.'"

Just as we are constrained by the love of Christ to expose the sins of a dying world so that they might turn and live by grace unto God. So too, when false prophets and false teachers arise among the flock we put them to the test and this is pleasing to God. How would you like to be one of the bereans, putting the apostle Paul to the test? And when false doctrines are discovered we raise the alarm to protect one another. And if a man rises up with many false teachings we put him out from among us and pray for the destruction of his flesh.

[b]1 Corinthians 5
1.[/b] It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife!
[b]2.[/b] And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you.
[b]3.[/b] For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed.
[b]4.[/b] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
[b]5.[/b] deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
[b]6.[/b] Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?
[b]7.[/b] Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.
[b]8.[/b] Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
[b]9.[/b] I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people.
[b]10.[/b] Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.
[b]11.[/b] But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.
[b]12.[/b] For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?
[b]13.[/b] But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person."

I am not familiar with Bill Johnson's ministry personally however I recognize him by association with many other false prophets and false teachers. In fact, the first time I heard of this man was when I was complimented for reminding someone of him. Mind you, this person was sold into the false signs and wonders movement. That to me is a fruit of the ministry, an epistle written upon a heart of flesh, and it is all bad. That night still makes me cringe with the defilement of teachings and spiritual carnality. When the Presence of Almighty God is discerned by whether or not your arms tingle ... that to me is a red flag. And indeed, that was just one of many, another big red flag was when I quoted the words of Jesus and they had no clue what I was talking about: they had never heard it before.

2008/12/27 20:51Profile
Joshh

Re:

Quote:

Christinyou wrote:
Hey Mike, Merry Christ and Happy New Year.

I whole heartedly agree. I have heard from people that have been to this particular ministry and it is full of signs and wonders and domination in it's promotional index in their being promoted through the ranks, to a higher plane of self reaching and proclamation of peace and prosperity through graduational promotion in their overwhelmingly structured classes within their own realm of teaching.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them , An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign ; and there shall no sign be given to it , but the sign of the prophet Jonas :

Sign:

Strong's Greek Dictionary
4592. semeion
Search for G4592 in KJVSL
shmeion semeion say-mi'-on
neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of 4591; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally:--miracle, sign, token, wonder.

See Greek 4591

This is good stuff for those seeking after worldly peace brokering of God in their going after peace and prosperity in making God their sugar daddy. The church is also closely using the college that is close to their church to futher their ministry. I won't go there because of my hatred of worldly ministry of Satan's signs and wonders and peace an prosperity doctrine.

Pray for them, there are some of Gods children there. Oh! How it hurts to see Christ used in this way.

Some will not agree with me, I don't like putting down other ministries, but the truth is, darkness is filling the Church, but God's light will prevail for those that are His, The Body of Christ, HIS CHURCH.

In Christ: Phillip

Satan's signs and wonders? Sorry, I just can't let that one slide. It's perfectly fine if you don't agree with every doctrine that someone has, but to put them in league with the devil because of it is not only an awful thing to do, you risk calling works of the Holy Spirit the works of the devil. I promise you, satan isn't healing sickness, disease, and chronic pain in the name of Jesus.

2008/12/27 22:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy