SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need Help With Question

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Need Help With Question

I know people who have a mental illness that have changed a lot since it began working on them. They say things they'd never would have or do thing that they wouldn't have before the illness.

If they do or say things that are sinful when having a mental illness, will they be held accountable for those actions? Is this just an indication that there's carnality still in them?

Jordan

2008/4/22 18:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Need Help With Question

Jordan,

You are asking a question that vexes people like no other question that I know.

What kind of mental disease are you talking about? Alzheimer's? I personally know of an evangelist, Bro. James, who was used mightily of the LORD who developed this disease. As this disease progressed in this man, his speech got awful, foul, vile. One preacher told us how he visited him and wished he hadn't: the foul language that spewed from that man's mouth was sickening. Bro. James was a very wicked man in his youth and well into his marriage, but was soundly converted and used mightily of the LORD in his kingdom. How could this happen? It vexes people to no end.

My husband did alternative service (to military service)in a mental hospital in the 60's. The conclusion of the Christians who worked there was that a large number of the patients were there because of sin.

We have a friend whose son in presently in a mental hospital. His mother declares that if he would submit to authority, submit to God his problems would vanish.

Jordan, I am not sure there is a definitive answer to your question. This may be a realm that belongs to God to judge and we must leave it there. Consider 2 Cor. 5:13: "For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause." According to Strong's the term "beside ourselves" refers to being insane.

The best we can do, IMO, is make sure we walk with Him and live in the center of his will and make sure ALL of our sins are under the blood. And then commit our future to His care and keeping.

My thoughts...what are yours?

ginnyrose

2008/4/22 21:40Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Ginnyrose,

Thank you for your post. I'm mostly thinking of Alzheimers when I say "mental illness".

The reason I struggle with this is because the Bible says, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." When a Christian does get Alzheimers, shouldn't we get sweeter because of God's grace? His strength is made perfect in our weakness.

There are many stories on both sides of this. A friend told me that her former pastor's wife had Alzheimers disease and she only became sweeter as the disease progressed. But then there are other people who appeared to be nice before the mental illness and they then turned really ugly.

I wasn't going to type all of this, but those are my thoughts right now. Just trusting the Lord for an answer.

Thanks,
Jordan

2008/4/23 12:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Jordan,

Alzheimer's has the ability to strike fear into the hearts and minds of mentally, healthy people.

I have also heard reports of people like you described. I had a aunt who was a victim. She could be sweet but also very ornery and mean. During her last days of life, she could be heard humming hymns. The bottom line is (as I understand it) how little man knows about these victims. Can they understand anything that goes around them? Can they comprehend, hear and understand speech? If so, how much more one should minister to the spirit that resides in an unresponsive body. Somehow, this is what I suspect is the reality, but I know this will generate more questions for which there are no answers. So perhaps I will have to relegate this to the "do not know" file and hope to God that no more of my loved ones becomes a victim of it.

ginnyrose

2008/4/26 3:12Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

I had a dear aunt who had Alzheimer's. Her
understanding grew more childlike, her faith
more simple; yet she still knew her hope and
her love for the Lord and that He Kept her as
His own!!

2008/4/26 11:43Profile
Nellie

Re:

I see people at the Nursing Home who have Alzhemers a lot.
A Friend of mine had this disease, and when I would talk to her about Jesus, The Spirit Of God still lived in her, for her face would light up.
God doesn't leave His Children who have this disease.
I don't know why He chooses to heal some, and not others.
God Bless
Nellie
God Bless
Nellie

2008/4/26 13:32Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

Nellie wrote:
I see people at the Nursing Home who have Alzhemers a lot.
A Friend of mine had this disease, and when I would talk to her about Jesus, The Spirit Of God still lived in her, for her face would light up.
God doesn't leave His Children who have this disease.
I don't know why He chooses to heal some, and not others.
God Bless
Nellie
God Bless
Nellie

I'll just have to trust the Lord for this.

I know someone who has Alzheimers and he struggles, but then yesterday we had something sweet happen. I jokingly asked him if he'd want us to sing and he said yes, then he started singing, "Because He Lives". It was a real encouragment, we were just praising th e Lord for it.

God is good, I'll just trust in that.

Thanks everyone!

Jordan

2008/4/26 15:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy