· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Into Thy hands I commit My spirit...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Into Thy hands I commit My spirit...

When hanging on the cross Jesus uttered words that have pierced many a man's souls. Just as He was about to give His last breath he cried out to the Father, "Into Thy hands I commit My Spirit!" As piercing as these words are, I don't think they have been understood by too many people. Indeed, until today I don't believe I have really ever understood them.

These words are radical words. Radical because they show the depth of Jesus' trust in God. They were radical because when hanging there on a cross, at a place where all victims of crucifixion lose any sense of hope for a tomorrow, Jesus still hung on the promises of God's word concerning His resurrection. He believed those promises to the uttermost. He believed them unto death. He never lost hope.

Think of it again, Jesus hanging there on a cross, knowing that He is getting ready to die. Death's rattle is quickly filling His lungs, with all hope seemingly lost, and with His last breath Jesus cries, "Father, I'm placing My trust in you!!!" If Jesus is to be the model of faith for all who believe, then I believe God wants to show us that He wants us to trust Him unto death. He wants us to wait on Him, being stripped of all means by which we could save ourself. For the only salvation that can come to a man on a cross is through resurrection. And resurrection can only come from the power of God working in us who believe.

Such a trust is the ultimate statement of faith. And unless we have such a trust, we do not really have such a faith.

2008/4/18 23:08Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Into Thy hands I commit My spirit...

Quote:

"Such a trust is the ultimate statement of faith. And unless we have such a trust, we do not really have such a faith."

We have the trust and the Faith in us, it is Christ Jesus Himself, but most won't ?appropraite it in their knowing.

What are we to know?

2Cr 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of [this] tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2Cr 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more.

2Cr 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

2Cr 13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Phl 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

This is the knowledge we are to increase in;

Colossians 1:9-29 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/4/19 2:04Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Into Thy hands I commit My spirit...

Reply to KingJimmy

Thanks

"He believed those promises to the uttermost".
"He believed them unto death".
"He never lost hope".

Eddie

2008/4/19 7:00Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

A further thought that I think says it all: Jesus Christ wasn't hanging on a cross, He was hanging on a word.

2008/4/19 8:19Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy