SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Was Jesus ever sick?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Wordizlife wrote:
LOL man it's good to see people have a sense of humor on this forum.

Amen! Amen! Amen! on that it's rare here, hey can I get another Amen. :-P

2008/4/17 9:57Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Some good thoughts Hulsey!

Katy-did, what i meant by saying that the Son of God is in our flesh now is that He is still in a body, a human body, a body of flesh. The incarnation was not for 33 years only, it was forever. Therefore He is not ashamed to call us Brethren!!! O what a Saviour!!!

Of course His body is a glorfied body, and so in that way different from hours, but it is a glorified resurrected human body of flesh, and we shall one day have a body like His!!!

That is what i meant. That our Great Priest is a man at the right hand of God. Our Great High Priest is God and Man, glorified, yes, but man yes!!! He forevermore wears and shares in our nature! Again I say what a Saviour!!!!

2008/4/17 10:00Profile

Re: Was Jesus ever sick?

Hello, Here4Him,

I understand where you are coming from, but... I believe there is no scriptural support for believing Jesus suffered from illnesses as a result of being human.

We have to remember He was 'the Word made Flesh'. His constitution with flesh and blood was uniquely different from all the rest of us, in that He had complete power over His body, and His mind was being directed by His Father all the time, by His agreement.

Also, Isaiah tells us our healing comes from the flogging He took. I don't understand this exactly, but I understand His death much more in terms of destroying him who had the power of death, than as the source of our healing. His ministry was marked by so many healings it is impossible to forget that it was an intrinsic part of His being, to bring health to people who were sick. Now, since pentecost, the gift of healing comes to some, with the Holy Spirit's enabling. This is a further sign that healing (not sickness) is a function of the life of God in man.

Now, as regards His death, that was a very specific fulfilment of prophecies, and it fitted exactly into the system of temple sacrifices, in that He died at the time of the evening sacrifice.

This had been planned from eternity (as far as we are concerned), and it was not negotiable in spiritual terms. He had come to fulfil His Father's will:

[colo=633FF]Hebrews 10
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, [b]but a body hast thou prepared me[/b]:
6 In burnt offerings and [i]sacrifices[/i] for sin thou hast had [u]no pleasure[/u].
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

Isaiah 53:10
[u]Yet [b]it pleased the LORD[/b] to bruise him[/u]; he hath put [i]him[/i] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [i]his[/i] seed, he shall prolong [i]his[/i] days, and [b[the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper[/b] [u]in his hand[/u]. [/color]

So, when on the cross He finally sucked the vinegar out of the sponge, He symbollically drank of our death, and [u]immediately[/u] died. At that moment, in Him, His Father judged sin for ever.

Up until that time, He had never had to bear one tiny bit of death, (the effect of sin). When you read the rest of Hebrews 10, this makes 'perfect' sense.

I don't agree with Michael (theopenlife) that Jesus' words to the blind man in John 9 mean that that man was not subject to the fall. (Michael didn't say that He did, but in using those words to support his thesis, the thought is implied.

Jesus said something similar about the people who died when the tower of Siloam fell. His point was, the whole of creation has been corrupted by sin, or there would be no blindness, and no tower of Siloam, for people would be healthy and whole eating from the trees in the Garden.)

Brother, has this explanation made sense?

2008/4/17 10:06
Here4Him

England

Re:

Sister Dorcas, this is a really interesting discussion. (It has to be these days to get me involved!!!).

You said:

Quote:
it is impossible to forget that it was an intrinsic part of His being, to bring health to people who were sick.

I agree, and Christ's ministry was and is most importantly to bring cleansing to those who are sinners. But how did He dod this? By becoming sin, by bearing their sin. It was Him taking our sin that brings us cleansing, spiritually it was His bearing our sin that brings us health. So why not sickness too? And why not sickness in His life and not just as part of the atonment on the cross?

I also dont agree with the comment that Jesus did not have to bear "one tiny bit of death or the effect of sin, until the cross".

He was called "a man of sorrows, and aquainted with grief". Now that is the effect of sin, and yet He was aquainted with that all of His life.

And if Jesus in His body as a man had the ability to feel bain and bleed, and suffer (as upon the cross) why would not also have the ability to feel pain and suffer in sickness in life?

With love in Christ, seeking truth,

George

2008/4/17 10:22Profile

Re:

Here4Him, thank you for your clarification. We know the nail prints are still there!

Katy

2008/4/17 11:18
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I believe it is dangerous teaching to say that Jesus could not get sick. I think it brings a separation between us and Him that God never intended our High Priest [i]not[/i] to identify with. The very fact that He aged and grew and perspired and could bleed and get physically tired and experience hunger and thirst and weep shows undoubtedly our High Priest had all the physiological faculties and needs of man. And yet spiritually He was without sin; the prince of this world came and indeed found nothing to lay to His charge. The teaching, again, that is prevailing here is not good and should be addressed because I fear it is a distant cousin to gnosticism. God the Son came in the flesh, through pains of childbirth and placenta, and later exhibited all the weaknesses of man, including the possibility of yielding to tempation. The sickless, perfection-in-human-constitution assertion being put forth here is fueled by biased fancy and, again, the wresting of scripture to fit a personal and preconceived notion. All scripture points to the frailty and humanity of the Son of Man, and physiological factors are demonstrated to the utmost, including hunger pains and weariness of muscle fatigue.

2008/4/17 11:20Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

The greatest pain Jesus had was because of our unbelief.

John 11:33-40 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.

Jesus wept.

Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

Quote: "Here4Him, thank you for your clarification. We know the nail prints are still there!"

Yet He did not weep. And, Mar 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

For us.

"Jesus wept." because of unbelief.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/4/17 16:02Profile

Re:

PaulWest,

thanks for your post. i like the way you write, reflecting an uncommon thoughtfulness.

bub

ps. if bubbaguy praising your writing puts you in a bad light among SI folks, then i change my mind, and your language skills are as rotton eggs! stinks! :-P

2008/4/17 18:04
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
ps. if bubbaguy praising your writing puts you in a bad light among SI folks, then i change my mind, and your language skills are as rotton eggs! stinks!

I think I can manage putting myself in a bad light well enough on my own, actually :) It appears I've lost some friends on here as of late, and it saddens me in spirit. The Christian life is made up of seasons; times of growth, times of quiet, times of fire, times of correction, times of introspection, and times of exponential mirth in the heart. Just another season, another storm to weather, and God is greater than our hearts.

2008/4/17 19:42Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

He healed us from the greatest sickness of all mankind, the sin of unbelief and headed for Hell and damnation.

This sickness He took upon Himself, that by His stripes we were healed.

If we take away from the humanity of Jesus Christ, we also take away the reason for His complete Deity as the Son of God and the last Adam.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Infirmities:

Strong's Greek Dictionary
769. astheneia
Search for G769 in KJVSL
asqeneia astheneia as-then'-i-ah
from 772; feebleness (of mind or body); by implication, malady; morally, frailty:--disease, infirmity, sickness, weakness.

This is a rhetorical question in the first place, He could and did heal all the sickness He came in contact with. Why would there be a need for Him to heal if He did not know the whole of what He was healing.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/4/17 19:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy