· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rees Howells/Intercessor

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ransom

Dothan, Al

Rees Howells/Intercessor

I had this book in my possession for more than 20 years......never got into it.....last month I picked it up and couldn't put it down.....how I long to know the vioce of the Holy Spirit like those bros and sis......and I will! If you haven't picked this book up in a while I encourage you to do so.....God needs intercessors at this time to change the tide of the world(I am sure they are out there....just don't know any.........Ransom

2004/6/19 10:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Rees Howells/Intercessor

Thanks for the reminder. Had started reading it a couple months back and got side tracked into a handful of different books.

Quote:
God needs intercessors at this time to change the tide of the world(I am sure they are out there....just don't know any

Have of late been pretty well entrenched in E.M. Bounds and if anything am learning and practicing even more so than ever to being in a state of prayer as much as to be praying. You said it well and if you didn't know any before, nice to met you brother. There is more than a few around here.

Mike

[i]Here I found the benefit of a principle which I invariably adopt, of never pressing upon any human being my sentiments or wishes, without an absolute necessity. If a friend be reduced to the necessity of refusing or complying, he will feel grieved: but if, though with pain to himself, he do anything without being importuned, he has a sweet feeling of love excited by that very act; or, it he refrain from doing what you wish, he feels a love to you for not pressing him against his will.[/i] ~ Charles Simeon

2004/6/19 13:09Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Ravenhill:
After I spoke at a session in the Bible School of Wales, dear Mrs. Rees Howells called me for a private talk. We stood in the veranda of her home overlooking beautiful Swansea Bay. I can see her finger upheld as she said, Many talk of my husbands buying this place with a shilling (fourteen cents) in his pocket. What they forget is that he prayed twelve hours a day for eleven months to know the mind of God.
Brethren, thats discipline!

Discipline, then, is a harness by which we enable the Spirit to get the best out of our frail humanity. The Apostle Paul was a disciplinarian like his Master:
He disciplined his body: I keep my body under.
He disciplined himself to loneliness: All men forsook me.
He disciplined himself to scorn: We are fools for Christs sake.
He disciplined himself to poverty: We suffered need.
He disciplined himself to rejection: We are despised.
He disciplined himself to death: I die daily.
He disciplined himself to suffering: Persecuted, but not forsaken.

May this be our prayer, Oh, Lord, I bow my neck to Thy yoke!

Leonard Ravenhill
Meat for Men

2004/6/19 13:44Profile
revival9

Arizona, USA

Re:

[u]Rees Howells, Intercessor[/u] by Norman Grubbs. This is in my Top Ten, also. God Himself taught this man how to pray. I have learned, from him, that the first prayers in a given direction are the hardest. Once the 'position is gained', future prayer efforts will bear fruit much sooner. (I'm still in the baby stages trying this. Prayer is really hard work.)

A theme that keeps running through my favorite books: How God uses cross-denominational conventions and meetings to bring believers further into His Will. With Rees Howells, who was a new believer during the Welsh Revival of 1904-06, The Llandrindod Wells Convention was "the most revolutionary even in his life". He was baptised in the Spirit and became a whole new man. He gave himself over fully to God, and God did mighty things through him. The course of World War II was affected by this man's prayers!

I am obsessed with seeing such conventions rise up again. Hudson Taylor and Amy Carmichael were deeply affected by Keswick. (Amy was Keswick's first official missionary.) John Hyde began the Sialkot Convention. That's all I can think of right now, but there are more! Wherever the Lord has raised up men and women of God to set aside a small period of time for Him yearly (4 days to a week), He has blessed those events with His Presence. And lives were changed forever.

Mrs. Fred

2004/6/28 12:46Profile
revival9

Arizona, USA

Hello Ransom,

Quote:
God needs intercessors at this time to change the tide of the world(I am sure they are out there....just don't know any

Anyone who is a devout Christian and has been diagnosed as 'depressed' 'bi-polar' or anything else, please examine your hearts! It may be a call of God to intercessory prayer!! Taking anti-depressants or other psycho-active drugs will derail this call. I believe this is what has happened to many of the Lord's Chosen Intercessors in our day and age. :cry:

[b][color=FF6666]CAUTION[/color][/b]: Do NOT stop taking any prescription medication on your own!! Consult Dr. Peter Breggin's books and articles www.breggin.com then plot out a SAFE course of withdrawl therapy with a sympathetic counselor's help.

I highly recommend everything Dr. Breggin has written. He's Jewish, divorced and remarried, yet he knows his stuff about psychiatry and pharmacology. He's a staunch believer in the power of God, working through sympathetic listeners, to heal everyone no matter how mentally ill they are. I'm talking the worst cases, the most mentally deranged, etc. We as Christians know there's spiritual warfare involved, too, but Dr. Breggin brings it down to the basics: "Do we really love these people, and are we willing to touch their lives with real caring and real love?" He denounces the entire psychiatric industry and is the founder of The International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology www.icspp.org . He has taken on the whole medical system, in court. He proves over and over again that children do not need more drugs (like Ritalin, Adderall, etc.), they need more parental involvement. DUH!

2004/6/28 16:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
last month I picked it up and couldn't put it down.....how I long to know the vioce of the Holy Spirit like those bros and sis......and I will!

Ransom,

How true this is, just over half way through now, and had the exact same thought; "O that I had the faith like unto this man" Then it dawned on me, why not? Perhaps the scary part is would we be willing to pay the price that he paid? To be humilated, to leave his newborn son behind to go to the mission field, to agonize and interceed on the behalf of one soul for months at a time...

[i]"The Holy Ghost took me through grade after grade," he said, "The process of changing one's natures (replacing the self nature by the divine nature) was very slow and bitter. It was a daily dying and showing forth the life of Christ, but that life was the life of a victim. Christ was the greatest Victim on one side of the cross but the greatest Victor on the other. The daily path was the way of the cross: every selfish motive and every selfish thought was at once dealt with by the Holy Spirit. In my boyhood days the strictest man I knew was my schoolmaster, but how often I said that the Holy Ghost was a thousand times more strict- the schoolmaster could only judge by actions, but the Holy Ghost was judging by motive."[/i]

[i]Here I found the benefit of a principle which I invariably adopt, of never pressing upon any human being my sentiments or wishes, without an absolute necessity. If a friend be reduced to the necessity of refusing or complying, he will feel grieved: but if, though with pain to himself, he do anything without being importuned, he has a sweet feeling of love excited by that very act; or, it he refrain from doing what you wish, he feels a love to you for not pressing him against his will.[/i] ~ Charles Simeon

2004/6/29 10:01Profile
davidtowers

England

Re:

I've already been really challenged and encouraged through reading Rees Howells Intercessor. I read my Dad's copy of the book and have since bought and given away several copies to friends... I don't know if you're aware, but it is now actually out of print so you can download the PDF and read it online for free here: http://www.inspirationalchristians.org/biography/rees-howells/

God bless,

David

2012/2/14 16:59Profile
rufnrust

YES !!!!!

Russell

2012/2/14 17:40Profile
TrueWitness

Re: Download or Read online

Here is the complete book in PDF format. Requires Adobe Reader (or any 3rd Party pdf reading software such as my favorite, PDF-XChange Viewer).

If you want to save the PDF file to your hard disk for reading offline, right-click on the link and select Save-as or Save Link As. And put it in a logical folder that you can remember where it is later (usually not the "Download" folder).

http://wesley.nnu.edu/wesleyctr/books/2401-2500/HDM2474.pdf

Blessings,
TW

2012/2/14 17:47Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the first time i was in len ravenhill's home,we were in his office/library and i asked him what should i read to avoid all the drivil and he said "start with this book for it will encourage you and show you what God can do through anyone" rees howells/intercesser was his first recommendation which he gave me.i have bought it often and given it to others for it changed my life.jimp

2012/2/14 17:54Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy