SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Whatever Happened to Prayer Meeting?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Whatever Happened to Prayer Meeting?

[b]Whatever Happened to Prayer Meeting?[/b]
October 1, 1999

East Indian evangelist K. P. Yohannan says he will never forget one of his first prayer meetings in an American church. He had come to the United States eager to meet some of its spiritual giants and leaders. One man in particular held his interest, a preacher known even in India for his powerful sermons and uncompromising commitment to the truth.

More than 3,000 people attended services on the Sunday Yohannan visited his church. The choirs were outstanding and the preaching was everything he'd hoped it would be. But he was especially taken by an announcement the pastor made about the midweek prayer meeting. He said there were some things lying heavy on his heart—would the people come and pray about them? Then he announced the name of a certain chapel on the church campus. Excited, Yohannan determined he would attend.

When he arrived later that week, he brought with him some definite assumptions. The most basic was that prayer meetings are essential, of primary importance. In India, and in many other parts of the world where Christians are persecuted, the prayer meeting is the centerpiece of the church's life. Everyone comes, the meetings often last long into the night, and it is not unusual for believers to arise daily before sunup to pray together for the work of the church.

Fearing a huge crowd, he came early to get a seat. But when he arrived he was surprised to discover a chapel with a capacity for only 500—that was empty! A few people eventually came in, but there was no leader, no songs or worship, just chit chat about news, weather, and sports.

Forty-five minutes later an elderly man, the leader, but not the pastor, walked into the chapel to offer a few devotional thoughts from the Bible and give ...

2008/4/14 19:23Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Whatever Happened to Prayer Meeting?

I surely do miss those times of testimony when
someone proclaims God's faithfulness and truth
and reveals His glory by sharing how the Holy
Spirit is moving and working in their life !!

2008/4/14 19:42Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I wish there would be more prayer meetings !
DOm and I wish I would pray more.

The most people that I have ever seen at a prayer meeting was down in canterbury when I think we got about 40 people!

I want people in the church to pray more! SO i am not so lonely !

2008/4/14 19:49Profile

Re:Prayer meetings. We the desperate hope.

In a praying church here in the u.s., we prayed 3 times a day, as a body, for years,not counting special all night meetings, and various other meetings. It doesn't matter the actual time, but adding into this personal devotion, and ministry, often we could pray individually more than some worked full time.

I, among many, kept this up with a family, and a full time business. It seemed effortless, and I eagerly awaited the meeting to intercede. The time, one to two hours, went by quickly, with most kneeling or on their face, in each meeting.

Today, fifteen years later, I haven't had that level of intercession corporately since. There is strength in united hearts. Maybe there is a grace hidden in prayer meetings that God orchestrates? Maybe there are seasons, and drawings, and Divine assembling behind the scenes, that release things, as revival, for seasons, not eras. I don't know.

I do know there is such a thing as divine hunger, so that we will want him, and His ways. Remember Peter. Remember James, one of the original 12. It seems a waste, for God to allow him such a short life, with all of his wonderful training and impartation. After his demise, the Church became desperate, and saw their desperate need,

It happens in famines, too. We are in one, if you all have not noticed. I'm getting desperate, how about you. I hear this parched cry throughout the world. Water! living Water! but we can't do it alone. Some prayer must have the body's many union's to be heard. The body must be discerned rightly to function as the Intercessor.

There must be unity, and the master of ceremonies has got to be Jesus. this will take a miracle, but he has done it before, as the cries of the desperate reach his hearing. Let us pray for Grace.

2008/4/14 22:00
theopenlife

Re:

Good article. Shortly after my conversion, a friend and I began to meet several times a week to pray. Soon others joined us and for a while there were regular prayer meetings with very earnest prayers. That was just over a year ago.

I moved eight months ago and I am finding a great disinterest in prayer amongst those in my current location. TV, TV, TV. A few times others have agreed to pray, but it feels like some of them were strained to be there.

I want to live somewhere with daily prayer meetings, even if only 1/7 of the church attended each day. Perhaps designate a room at the church which is available 7am-11am and then 5pm-9pm, with fourteen deacons committed to occupying one "shift" per week.

2008/4/15 0:12Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

These words have spoken to my heart. I too have been in this mans shoes maybe not the same place and people. Yet there is sadly the same story. It is stil so fresh how I too, was like a little child so eager and over joyed in the hope of Gods gathering of his people to pray.

For months, I prayed and thought for sure such prayer would be there. I was told this would be.
Just as this pastor made this announcement, i feel many announcement were made, yet why then a lack?

"More than 3,000 people attended services on the Sunday Yohannan visited his church. The choirs were outstanding and the preaching was everything he'd hoped it would be. But he was especially taken by an announcement the pastor made about the midweek prayer meeting. He said there were some things lying heavy on his heart—would the people come and pray about them? Then he announced the name of a certain chapel on the church campus. Excited, Yohannan determined he would attend."

Maybe in my case there wasn't 3,000. But I too felt determined that they would attened. For so much talk of prayer and huge importance was put on it. I too was so excited for such a gathering. But as this man states, will they come? I thought for sure yes they will, and many will gather..

""Fearing a huge crowd, he came early to get a seat. But when he arrived he was surprised to discover a chapel with a capacity for only 500—that was empty! A few people eventually came in, but there was no leader, no songs or worship, just chit chat about news, weather, and sports.

Forty-five minutes later an elderly man, the leader, but not the pastor, walked into the chapel to offer a few devotional thoughts from the Bible and give ..."

This speak so much of my heart. I too was eager to be there before, for the joy of praying with others. Yet when I got there all was not what i had hope. I sat there alone wondering was this it? Tears were my food. And were for months.
SO why didn't people come? Why was there so mcuh talk of it, yet still few came together?

I remeber leaving the room. to pray in aother room. When I came back and walk into the place of worship, the light were off, it was so hard to see and I almost fall, then the more I was in the dark it was ok I could see there was no fear, So as I walked in and God put these things heavy on my heart my People are too walking in darkness, they have no fear for they gotten use to their sins. They come to worship and still hold to all their own ways. They don't see their sins nor can they unless I open their eyes. These things they do does not honor me. SO cry for Mercy, for I am a merful God and will disclose myself to those who truly seek me.

This what I feel, God knows our hearts in this nation, but also ours. He know there are area, without his grace we wont see, nor would come to pray.

So I leave with this if God has put on your heart to pray with others and are broken at the lack of prayer. Praise Him, it is his grace working it your life. We can keep pressing on and praying and calling for mercy Fod God goes after his children.

We do not pray to gain, we do not pray to even feel better, We don't even pray for our needs.
But to pray for his gorly honor and praise.
For we did not love him frist but he loved us frist. May we ever be so thankful we are saved.
Seeing Christ and rejoicing in this new life we have, should move us to our knees.
We are great sinners but we have a great God.

I was thinking today, we talk so much of this great thing of prayer, and power in it. We are not fearful to say it is what we lack and need. Yet still there are few of us that are willing to really stop and seek God. It really isn't about prayer its about our hearts, thoes other things we love more then God. We have been lied to, by the world. This a sad story, but I wonder if this could also speak something about our own hearts? We don't have to a prayer ministry to pray,

In Christ

2008/4/15 2:04Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Mike

I so agree and pray for you. I long to pray daily with others, don't give up. Reach out and show them Christ love them and pray with them. Even if it one at a time.

God is faithful, Press on brother, Praise God for the grace he has given you. I am very thankful for what God is doing and working your life. Be thankful praise Him rejoice God has a good plan.
Look up then look out,
In Christ love
charlene

2008/4/15 2:07Profile

About of years ago I was joined with a body, where the Pastor encouraged the body to be in prayer group.

He set up a prayer room and asked that the church pray for 1 hour a week of their choosing.

5.The categories of 3X7 prayer cards were in a prayer room. The Pastor listed what he thought were the needs of the church, on these 3x7 payer cards. As each person prayed they could add to the prayer cards, whatever God had laid on their hearts.

The categories were:

1.Salvation for lost family members and friends.

2.Physical problems

3.Revival for the church, the nation and the world.

4.Thanksgiving to the Lord, for the prayers that were answered, in whatever way.

5.Spiritual issues.

15 people out of 150 agreed they would pray for at least one hour a week and go through the cards.

After a month only 4 people were showing up for the hour.

The Pastor changed to a different format, a conversational prayer group, for an hour a week, on Monday nights. A good nights attendance, out of those 150 regular attending members, was 12, average of 6, sometimes 4 counting the Pastor.

I have found in talking with others, that this is the norm. Don't know why! Maybe people don't want to attend prayer meetings of any format.

Is it because they are to trying to avoid being seen and thought of as the Pharisees, who love for people to hear their prayers heard?

Perhaps some don't have enough education to use great swelling impressive words for others to hear and they are afraid of being scorned by others in their prayers and communication with the Lord.

Public speaking or public praying is the second most greatest fear according to the polls. The first is death. This may be the problem.

Perhaps most people feel God has his plan for their life and others already established and their prayers won't really matter. Providence.

I heard this comment on the first format prayer on the 3x7 prayer inistry " I can pray wherever I am at, I don't have to be in any certain place" True.

I think these reasons maybe are some reasons why people don't participate in prayer meetings or forums. Most are not willing to lose their dignity in anyway, in prayer or service to the Lord, for fear of rejection or ridicule from others. They are not willing to use their gifts that God gave them how ever small they may seem.

Maybe they are afraid to go out on a limb and speak about his word and what they see to be truth, for fear of being wrong in their theology and revealing they are human and not perfect as we really are.

Now on the subject of whether prayer groups are right or wrong or pleasing to the Lord, depends on each person, in their motives and intents of the hearts.

2008/4/15 9:42
ccchhhrrriiisss

Thanks Greg...

This is troubling but extremely important. I've often seen signs and tshirts that say, "[i]The family that prays together stays together.[/i]" I think that the same thing could be said of the Church.

A few years ago, a brother at the congregation that I attended used to actually speak AGAINST public prayer meetings. He claimed that they were simply not Scriptural. He said that we need to pray in secret -- and not in a public gathering. He talked about how "organized" most modern prayer meetings have become. I agreed with his notion that some prayer meetings are far too formal and organized and the need to pray in secret, but I told him not to "throw out the baby with the bathwater."

Jesus tried to organize a prayer meeting on the night he prayed in the garden. He told his disciples to "watch and pray" (Mark 14:38). When he returned to find them sleeping, he asked, "[i]Could you not tarry one hour[/i]?" After Jesus' death and resurrection, the disciples were changed. They now were determined to come together. The result was the events of Pentecost.

Leonard Ravenhill used to say, "[i]The Sunday morning service proves how popular a Church is. An evening service proves how popular the pastor is. The prayer meeting proves how popular God is[/i]." Of course, the prayer meeting is not a measuring stick of a person's relationship with God. However, it can be a good indication about the climate of a local fellowship. I've been to a large congregation that averaged over 10,000 people willing to sing and shout for God in televised services, but averaged less than 5 for the prayer meeting.

It seems that people would rather sing, shout and dance for revival than to pour out their souls in waiting. I wonder: Does our singing, shouting and dancing resemble the efforts of the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel (I Kings 18:26-39). No matter how loud they shouted -- the fire never came. How did it come? Elijah [u]prayed[/u]. It produced a sudden revival in the midst of a backslidden, idolatrous nation.

May God raise up a people who can pray in secret, pray in public, and pray with anguished, believing faith!

:-)

2008/4/15 14:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy