SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "The Shack"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
chadster

"The Shack"

Has anyone in the SermonIndex community read this book by William P. Young? I would love to hear what you thought of it. Eugene Peterson who wrote “The Message” paraphrase of the Bible, says that this book has the potential to do for this generation what Pilgrim’s Progress did for his...it's that good”.

2008/4/14 15:56Profile
Ema

Re: "The Shack"

At first, I almost didn't want to finish the book thinking it would be cheesy. I was also weary because it was fictional, and the main character claims he has a divine intervention with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Saryu)

However, I come to apprieciate God's patience love and grace with us more after reading it.

I also have moments in life, like when I was weeding the garden, when I remembered what Saryu said while she and the main character (name?) were weeding a garden (of his mind/soul) together.

I thought it was a unique sweet way to look at the way God works in our lives. But its still important to recognize that our ways are not His ways and our thoughts are not His thoughts.

Pretty good book. I never regreted finishing it either. :-)

2008/6/20 5:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Well, I cannot comment on the book, but Petersen did the paraphrase 'bible' the Message, so that is reason enough for me not to read the book.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

2008/6/20 5:25Profile
Brenden

South Korea

However captivating "The Shack" may be there is some serious theological problems with the book. Al Mohler states: "This book includes undiluted heresy."

Link to a review: http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/a-review-of-the-shack-download-it-here.php

2008/6/20 10:02Profile
Brenden

South Korea

Re:

I think we have to be careful when we write something off just because we don't like the theology of someone endorsing it. Tony Campolo wrote an intro to In His Steps by Charles Sheldon, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Sheldon's book is junk.

2008/6/20 10:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think we have to be careful when we write something off just because we don't like the theology of someone endorsing it.

Well, I would agree with that to a point. I have to question the author's judgement when they ask someone of a whacked theological perspective to endorse their book. It gives a clear indication that the author doesnt have a problem with the endorser's theology.

We are told to seperate from false teachers/gospels... not ask them to endorse our books. If you can give me just one example from scripture of where I am wrong on this... let me know and I'll change my position.

Havent read the book in question, so I have no opinion on it.

I think if believers would spend more time in the Word... the Christian book [b]industry[/b] would be out of business... because A) Christians would realize how unscriptural most books in the Christian bookstores are... and B) Christians simply wouldnt have time to read all the books that are out there.

Wouldnt that be wonderful?

Krispy

2008/6/20 10:47
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Quote:
Has anyone in the SermonIndex community read this book by William P. Young? I would love to hear what you thought of it. Eugene Peterson who wrote “The Message” paraphrase of the Bible, says that this book has the potential to do for this generation what Pilgrim’s Progress did for his...it's that good”.

I have read The Shack book and would say by no means will it have that type of impact. It is an interesting story that tries to deal with suffering and evil in the world by bringing God down on an earthly level. I think these types of things are a sword that can cut two ways. Because we have God being depicted in a feminine motherly way, and the angels in T.B's life are of a feminine nature (the angel Emma), we are drifting farther and father away from the Fear of the Lord as the [i]beginning[/i] of wisdom.

Having an awesome reverence for God helps us understand that it is only because of God's mercy that we are not consumed. We deserve nothing but wholesale destruction and damnation; any improvement on that is an act of God's great mercy. I think this is a better foundation to fix our concerns of evil and suffering on than feminizing God.

2008/6/20 11:46Profile
Brenden

South Korea

Re:

Quote:
"I have to question the author's judgement when they ask someone of a whacked theological perspective to endorse their book. It gives a clear indication that the author doesnt have a problem with the endorser's theology."

I agree. Biblically, you can see examples of pagans "endorsing" the God of the Scriptures in the Scriptures; however, I think this is a little different than the issue we are speaking of. What i am trying to say is that i do think experience should tell us that some of the most godly people have not had all their ducks in a row, and may have endorsed or used a version we may feel uncomfortable with, or had their books endorsed by people we may feel uncomfortable with, but this does not mean we throw out what they have to say. it does take discernment.

I don't want this thread to digress too much. I think "The Shack" needs to be addressed because it is becoming so influential in north america and i find this disconcerting. I think the review I added previously is important to read.

2008/6/20 12:43Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Quote:
I think if believers would spend more time in the Word... the Christian book industry would be out of business... because A) Christians would realize how unscriptural most books in the Christian bookstores are... and B) Christians simply wouldnt have time to read all the books that are out there.

Amen, Krittr.

I am convinced of this one fact; The Bible will keep us away from sin and sin will keep us away from the Bible.

If our Seminaries and Ph'd degrees in Religion would study nothing but the Bible we would have an army of God-sent, God-favored and God-empowered soldiers! Could you imagine three to four years of solid Biblical study, notwithstanding the rest of our lives emmersed in the Word. WOW. That would be amazing!

I am convinced of this other fact: Every other book pales to the Bible and should not take priority over it in any believers life. Please judge yourselves, Sermonindex readers, don't be deceived by neglecting the Word of God! Don't be that wolf in sheep clothing, remain vigilant against every argument and lie that would lift itself up against the authority of Christ.

2008/6/20 16:35Profile
roadsign

Re: The Shack

Quote:
this book has the potential to do for this generation what Pilgrim’s Progress did for his...it's that good”.

Not long ago a friend shared her excitement over the book, and told me that it is a "must read". Well, I am halfway through the book, and still waiting to discover any resemblance to thrust of Pilgrim's Progress.

What concerns me most is the person who recommended it. She has a strong solid bibical, evangelical foundation, and has been strong in the Lord for many years. I will be asking her at some point to explain to me why she felt the book was so valuable to her.

Here again we see the ever-present need to develop critical judgment.

Perhaps it's not fair to judge a book from the first half, but at this point in my reading I do not see the book as a useful tool.

I may include a more detailed review later.

Diane

2008/6/21 8:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy