Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Darkness vs Light

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JoeBenson

Greenville, South Carolina

Darkness vs Light

It’s Dark Out Here! Where is the Light!

Mathew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”

I remember years ago I was on vacation in North Carolina and I went to a park that had several caves in the mountain that you could explore, but only with the assistance of a tour guide. As you start out on the tour, you find that the further you get away from the entrance the darker it gets. The further you walk you can sense a darkness that you can almost feel. It can get quite scary if you do not focus on the light that is being held by the tour guide.

Have you ever been in such a place that is dark and scary? Maybe you woke up in the middle of the night and tried to make your way to the restroom and began to stumble because of the darkness. You may have been watching television one night and the power went out or you were driving down the road and your car broke down late one night. I believe that you get the point; it’s not fun and sometimes scary to be in darkness!

The bible uses the words darkness and light throughout both the Old and New Testaments. I want to spend a little time explaining light and darkness as described in God’s holy word.

Let’s talk about darkness first.

DARKNESS

Darkness is used in both a physical and figurative sense in the bible. The secular world defines darkness by the following:

Darkness is defined as: 1 a: devoid or partially devoid of light : not receiving, reflecting, transmitting, or radiating light b: transmitting only a portion of light 2 a: wholly or partially black b of a color : of low or very low lightness c: being less light in color than other substances of the same kind 3 a: arising from or showing evil traits or desires : EVIL b: DISMAL, GLOOMY c: lacking knowledge or culture : UNENLIGHTENED D: relating to grim or depressing circumstances 4 a: not clear to the understanding. (Merriam-Webster dictionary)

I want to first point out that many people think that darkness and light have nothing in common and darkness is a force in itself separate from light. The secular world today has distinguished light and darkness as enemies with each other. Take for instance the movies of Hollywood. Hollywood has made most people to think that darkness represents evil and light represents what is good. Where did they come up with that notion?

I want to say that darkness is not a force in itself separate from that of God. God is the creator of all of the heavens and the universe. That includes darkness! Darkness was the creation or existence of God before there was the creation of light.
Gen 1:2, And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
This verse proves that God has the only power to create light out of darkness. As stated earlier, God’s word does use darkness in both the physical and figurative sense. God divinely planned His word to make sense to us. Take for instance the following verse that speaks about darkness being a representation of “wicked ways” or lawlessness.
Prov 2:13 From those who leave the paths of uprightness, To walk in the ways of darkness;
God also uses darkness to represent His divine judgment. Read the following verse to describe God’s judgment of the lawless and wicked.
Mathew 8:12 But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
Darkness is used figuratively in the bible to characterize those people that do not follow God or have fallen away from His righteousness. God wants us to be righteous and obedient to His word. He wants us to stay out of the darkness (figuratively) and follow Him!
In the introduction of this article I used an example of walking to the restroom in the dark and how it can be scary. However, it can also be confusing trying to work your way through the room and down the hallway when the lights are off. Take this verse for example:
1 Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
This verse shows us that God does not want to be in our lives to confuse us or make us stumble. He is the only way to direct our path without stumbling or creating chaos!
Darkness from the Sixth hour until the Ninth
In the opening verse, Mathew 27:45, darkness is used both in a physical and figurative sense. What did it mean to say that there was darkness over the land from the sixth hour until the ninth hour? The sixth hour is noon (12:00 PM) and the ninth hour is 3:00 PM. The darkness is actually a physical darkness. It was dark over all of the land. There is no other explanation than the darkness being a supernatural darkness on the land. God made it dark in all of the land because it was a very dark moment in history. I believe I understated the darkness. It was the darkest moment in all of history! It was the death of Jesus Christ. No other moment in time compares!

Not only was the darkness physical, it was figuratively too. The darkness represents the divine judgment of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was perfect in entirety. Jesus was not being judged for His sin but for ours. It was at this time that God unleashed his entire wrath on Jesus! It was at this time of darkness that God imputed all of the sins of the world upon Jesus. It was at this time that Jesus died as a substitution for all sinners! It was at this time that He died so that we may live! It was at this time that He who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him! This is the Gospel of Jesus Christ! This is the Good News of the Lord!

There is no other verse that demonstrates the gospel more clearly than 2 Corinthians 5:21.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Now that we have discussed darkness lets now discuss the light.

LIGHT

Light is defined as:

1 something that makes vision possible, 2 a: DAYLIGHT b:DAWN 3: a source of light: as a: a celestial body b: CANDLE c: an electric light 4archaic : SIGHT 4a5 a: spiritual illumination b: INNER LIGHT c: ENLIGHTENMENT d: TRUTH 6 a: public knowledge b:a particular aspect or appearance presented to view 7: a particular illumination 8: something that enlightens or informs 9: a medium (as a window) through which light is admitted 10plural : a set of principles, standards, or opinions11: a noteworthy person in a particular place or field 12: a particular expression of the eye 13 a: LIGHTHOUSE, BEACON b: TRAFFIC LIGHT 14: the representation of light in art (Merriam Webster dictionary)

While I was touring the cave that I discussed in my introduction, I remember staying focused on the light of the tour guide. Light is something special in times of darkness. Light makes your path clear. Light brightens even the darkest places. Light is essential for us to see. Without light, there is no color or distinguishing factors of objects. Light is a necessity! Without light, there would be confusion!

Before God created light, the world was formless and void.

Gen 1:2, And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
I believe that I made my case that light is needed in our world in a physical sense, but how does the bible describe light in the scriptural sense.
The bible is clear to say that God created light, but it is also clear to say that God is light.

Psalm 27:1, The LORD is my light and my salvation;

The term light is used in both the Old and the New Testament. The scripture distinguishes those that follow God to be walking in the light and not in darkness. Jesus made it very clear that He is the light of the world.
1 John 1:5, And this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
Through the darkness of Jesus’ death, we see the light of the world. Those three hours of darkness on the cross represents all of the light for all of humanity from now until the end of time. Jesus’ sole purpose for coming to this earth was to give us life and in turn give us a spiritual light. He was sent to this earth so that we might have life everlasting and so that we may have a light in times of darkness.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Jesus was God’s plan of bringing light to this world. It was part of His masterful plan to give us a chance to see in times of darkness. Jesus is the reason for no confusion and chaos! Jesus is the light of the world. He was sent for us as a special gift from God.
John 1:1, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. 6 There came a man, sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came for a witness, that he might bear witness of the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came that he might bear witness of the light. 9 There was the true light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13 who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Jesus stated so clearly that He is the light of the world and that we should follow Him and not to walk in darkness. He is the only way to walk in the light.
John 8:12, Again therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life."
John 12:46, "I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness.
Be Part of the Light of this World
We were put on this earth with free will. Jesus so much wants us to be a part of His light. The moon shines light from above in the night. However, the light that shines is a reflection of the light from the sun. Jesus wants His light to reflect off of us into this world. His word states that we should be a light upon a hill shining throughout the world so that everyone can see!

Mathew 5:14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.

We have the ability to shine light on this dark world. We are to shine brightly and not as if we are under a basket.
Mathew 5:15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
Jesus came to this earth to give us hope. He came to be a light in our life. He wants us to choose Him as our savior and in turn He will give us abundant life!
John 10:10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

CONCLUSION
Jesus’ dark three hours on the cross was the greatest gift for all of us! We can have life through His death! We can have light through His pain! We can have light in our darkness!
Choose Jesus and become part of His light!
1 Peter 2:9, But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
God bless you!
Joe Benson

2008/4/10 8:04Profile

Re: Darness vs Light

Good post Joe. I once had the thought AND ASK THE QUESTION "when we turn a light on, does darkness go away or does the light make the darkness of none effect"?

Without him we are in darkness and and unable to see the truth because there is no light in us TO SHINE ON TRUTH. He is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our pathway. His Spirit living us enables us to read his word and see his truth. Whoever worships him must worship him in spirit and in truth. The Pharisees had the light walking among them and the word and because they rejected the light they didn't have the ability to understand the word and know who Jesus was and to be saved.

Matt 5:16-20
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
KJV

As a baseball player who is running the bases, if he misses first base, which is Jesus, when he reaches home plate, HE IS OUT, regardless of how fast he runs or how far he hits the ball.

2008/4/10 12:15
JoeBenson

Greenville, South Carolina

Re:

Amen in deed! It is good to know the Savior. Isn't it? Praise the Lord for His light of the world!

2008/4/10 14:56Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy