SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Scofield Bible: Blessing or Curse?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

There are examples where I think the layout of the biblical text immensely helps getting at the original meaning.

One example comes from an older edition of the Chinese Union Version Bible (the most popular Chinese version, the Chinese-equivalent of KJV).

In the older edition of CUV, Hebrew poetry are not broken down into lines according to its structure, but are presented in a continuous paragraph just like a narrative. The end result is that the poetic elements of Psalms were quite often lost and this makes the reading of Psalms very unpleasant.

[b]Philologos,[/b] it is interesting to hear about your practice of using two KJV Cambridge Bibles. My church tradition has for years adopted a similar practice using two Bibles--one marked (for devotion & notes) and one unmarked (for grappling with the plain text)--as taught by one of our earliest brethren, Watchman Nee.

2004/6/23 9:41Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
it is interesting to hear about your practice of using two KJV Cambridge Bibles. My church tradition has for years adopted a similar practice using two Bibles--one marked (for devotion & notes) and one unmarked (for grappling with the plain text)--as taught by one of our earliest brethren, Watchman Nee.

This is an encouraging precedent! Thanks

2004/6/23 11:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy