SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Godly Movies

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

I'm not posting this to knock on anybody, but I'd stay away from the End of the Spear. The star, Chad Allen, is a homosexual as well as a gay activist. (Eph. 5:11)

Jordan

2008/4/8 14:17Profile

Re:

I agree... End of Spear doesnt present the hearts of those missionaries very well either. It shows them as being more about anthropology and philanthropy than about spreading the gospel of Christ... which was certainly not the case.

Bad movie with a wicked actor... not worth the $$.

Krispy

2008/4/8 15:20
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Godly Movies

I love "The Sin Eater." It was great!
I just watched "Beyond the Gates of Splendor," and it was great too. I'm getting ready to watch "End of the Spear."

Edit: I hadn't gotten to the second page to read the comments on End of the spear...if it isn't the same quality of Beyond the Gates...I don't want to see it. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the list of others to look for.

2008/4/8 15:22Profile
Onesimus4God

Tickfaw, Louisiana USA

Re:

I first got involved with this story in 1956, I think. I can still remember the picture of the airplane on the front of our newspaper. I had no idea what had happened, only that some protestant missionaries had been killed.
About 15 years ago, I was in a church library in Maine. I saw this book called "The Jungle Pilot". I had no idea it was related to what had happenedin 1956. I only picked it up because I was a pilot. I soon realized the connect. It was one of the most anointed, Spirit filled things I've ever read. Ever since then, I've been blessed by everything about this story.
I liked End of the Spear. To the inquirer, End of the Spear should have been seen first.
Anyway, I was blessed. That little yellow airplane, and the story is represents is what ministers to me. I am ever greatful to the producers, actors, and crew for bring this special story to life. Anthropology? That never crossed my mind. These were the cream of the crop of young missionaries, who gave all for the souls that have since been saved, and the countless other missionaries who are still be called to the mission field by this story, in print or video.

Respectfully yours,

"0"

2008/4/8 15:59Profile

Re:

Quote:
These were the cream of the crop of young missionaries, who gave all for the souls that have since been saved, and the countless other missionaries who are still be called to the mission field by this story, in print or video.

Agree 100%... but in my opinion that was lost in this movie. I think the phrase I want to use is "watered down". And I didnt mean anthroplogy... I did mean philanthropy. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, I thought the movie was lame. You may have gotten more out of it because of your emotional connection to it. I wasnt born yet for another 11 years, so I think I view the movie more analytically than you may.

But I certainly strongly disagree with the casting of a blatently open, activist homosexual in a Christian movie about missionaries the caliber of which this story is about. It's a shame.

Krispy

2008/4/8 16:30
reformer

Re:

I liked the Hiding Place and The Ride.

2008/4/8 21:33Profile

Re:

Flywheel and Facing the Giants... great ones. Just wish Flywheel had the top notch production that Giants had.

In Flywheel I love the scene where the car dealer just ripped off the preacher... the preacher, thinking he got a good deal, prays with the car dealer and says "Lord I pray that You treat this man the way he has treated me..."

Owch!

Krispy

2008/4/9 8:27
Zumb

Re:

I'm pretty sure they only found out after they had cast him in the role that he was very openly homosexual. Then they had to make a big decision whether or not to fire him. I think they explain their decision here

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/news/chadallen.html

2008/4/9 15:33Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Steve Saint's explanation says it all:

In an e-mail to Christianity Today Movies, Saint said, "I could not imagine how something like this could slip through a professional screening process." He continued, "After I got over the emotional shock of realizing that a man who has chosen to live a lifestyle in stark contrast to my dad's would actually be playing his role in End of the Spear, I realized I would likely be held responsible for that decision. I wanted the issue to go away. Finally, I realized I was going to have to face what was happening, and there was little chance of coming out unscathed."

"This is one of the most extraordinary stories of love and forgiveness that I've ever known," Allen said. "But I also realized the incredible responsibility of playing these two men, especially as I learned more about how important Nate Saint and Steve Saint are to people around the world. I really felt the weight of that."

Allen didn't meet Steve Saint until about three months after he was hired, when shooting began in January 2004 in Panama. When they finally met, Allen says he told Saint, "If you don't want me to do this movie, because I respect you and your family so much and I respect this story so much, I will walk away from this—contract or no contract, even if that means I'm liable for breaking the contract."

But Saint had already decided to keep Allen on board. He said he had been praying about it, and that God clearly revealed the answer in a dream.

In the dream, Saint says he was "being chased by a mob of Christians who were angry with me for having desecrated 'their story.' The answer to their hostility was easy: Just ask Chad to remove himself. But as quickly as this thought came to me, I found myself standing before God. His look was not as compassionate as I had expected. God said, 'Steve, you of all people should know that I love all of my children. With regard to Chad Allen, I went to great lengths to orchestrate an opportunity for him to see what it would be like for him to walk the trail that I marked for him. Why did you mess with my plans for him?'

"I was fully awake by the end of this sleepy mind play. I knew that there would be a price to pay for any position I would take on this issue, regardless of the fact that I had not wanted to be involved. I knew one thing for sure: I would rather face the anger and even hatred of people who feel I have let them down, than to take any chance of having to stand before my Savior and have to answer for messing up his plans for Chad."

2008/4/9 16:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy