Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Constant Readiness -moore

[b]Constant Readiness[/b]
[i]by Sarah Foulkes Moore[/i]

The unannounced hour of our Lord’s return makes imperative constant readiness. As a prophet foretelling His own Coming, our Lord gives to His disciples emphatic and pointed warnings to watchful readiness. "Watch…lest coming suddenly He find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch" (Mark 13:35-37). Speaking as one with authority, our Lord begins and ends this solemn advent warning with the single, explicit command to "Watch!"

Christians who are really preparing for the Lord’s impending coming are today living in the ever-vigilant attitude of heart, life and conduct that springs from one constant and predominating aim – that they may be accounted worthy to escape the judgment wrath that is coming upon the end of this age.

Paul lived out his daily Christian experience as a man running a race with the purpose in view of winning the prize. He stripped himself in his race for the crown laid up for all them who overcome and live godly in Christ Jesus (Rev. 12:11). Thus Paul could say, "Thanks be unto God, who always causeth us to triumph in Christ" (2 Cor. 2:14). That he might be a victor and not a victim of his circumstances Paul put heart and soul into his Christian experience. He strained every nerve, bent every muscle to apprehend that for which Christ apprehended him.

Not long before he departed he evidently attained to the high calling of God in Christ, for he said, "I am now ready…. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown…which the Lord…shall give me at that day" (2 Tim. 4:6-8). What a rapturous assurance was Paul’s! And it may be ours, if we, like Paul, press into the overcomings that make us more than conquerors over the world, the flesh and Satan.

Enoch was translated because he had the testimony that he pleased God. The carnal mind is enmity against God. Can we, therefore, hope to walk with God and please Him as long as we have carnality, fleshliness, earthliness in us? "I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal…. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?" (1 Cor. 3:1,3). The whole strategy of Satan is to prevent the vigilance and alertness the Lord has so solemnly counseled. "Watch!"

2008/4/7 11:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy