SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Healing Questions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Healing Questions

First off, I'd like to say that I believe God is a healing God, both spiritually and physically. However, there are several questions that I have about this whole thing.

1- Does the Bible say God wants to heal us physically every time we need it?

2- Does the often quoted verse, Is. 53:5 mean only spiritual healing or could it also include physical healing, too?

3- Is it wrong to go to doctors for help?

I'll probably think of more questions, but for now these are enough.

Thanks,
Jordan

2008/4/4 12:36Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Healing Questions

1. no

2. it could be intrepted that way

3. personal conviction, no for me.

:-)

2008/4/4 12:56Profile

God has and does heal both physically and eternally. All healing is divine healing. Even a cut on the hand that heals by the bodies own healing mechanisms just as God designed it. He also designed it to grow old and die without Jesus to to give eternal life. I believe he still brings people from death to life at times as he did through Peter with Dorcas or Tabitha, also the unknown son of the widow of Zarephath; her only son. 1 Kings 17:17-18:1, the man came that back to life through after being cast into Elisha’s grave one year after Elisha had died. 2 Kings 13:20-21,Lazarus in John 11:43-44, Eutychus through Paul in Acts 20:9-11, as HE did Jaruis’s daughter in Luke 8:49-53, as when Jesus had compassion on the Widow’s for her dead son in Nain in Luke 7:11-16. Many more sick people he prevented from dying right then. Many more that were not recorded in the scriptures. He decides who and when and the reason is to bring glory to himself. How many lepers did Jesus heal and how many returned to thank HIM? We are to pray for ourselves and for one another and accept his answer whatever it maybe. I personally believe that when the Bible talks about being "made whole" is referring to and giving a picture of HIS salvation, a new birth, a new creation in Christ Jesus. We are not to be as concerned with the body as we are the soul. Matt 10:28
28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Yes God still uses doctors in various ways.

I hope this helps.
moe_mac

2008/4/4 13:30
revival617

NewEngland

1- Does the Bible say God wants to heal us physically every time we need it?

You'll get different answers on this one. I say Yes.

Is it God's will to be sick or well? Some believe God permitts people to be sick to test them, but i don't see that context in Jesus' ministering healing, or the Apostles. Not once did they deny a person because God had other reasons. ALL were healed, and once again you'd think there would be examples of some being healed but not all because of God's testing, but you don't. There would be specifics about this and there are not, therefore I disagree with God allowing sickness for higher purposes. Well, its certainly not in the New Testament. Some will use Job and try to tie in other examples, but once again it is not the context or even a hint of this throughout the gospels or Acts.

Secondly, how can you have faith/confidence in praying for someone if you could possibly be praying against God's will. I see through the gospels and Acts examples indicating complete confidence.

Some may bring up Pauls thorn, which a thread in itself.

2- Does the often quoted verse, Is. 53:5 mean only spiritual healing or could it also include physical healing, too?

Includes both.

3- Is it wrong to go to doctors for help?

I don't believe its wrong at all.

2008/4/4 14:25Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Real Healing

Real Healing

by Lahry Sibley

I’ve been a Christian for 30 years or so. I’ve been in lots of churches, various denominations, and listened to some great messages. I’ve also listened to a lot of religion and down right error. No subject has been preached on more than healing, no doubt. Why? Because we have lots of folks that are sick and infirmed. The other is that there is more emphasis put on physical needs than spiritual needs.
I was in a church for a time that regularly took prayer requests at the pulpit during service. 95% of what was asked for was physical healing in one form or another. Yes, we need physical healing. Yes God cares about our physical difficulties. But where is the balance. Friend, you can go straight to hell in a perfect body. You can also go straight to heaven with a sick one. Actually, you’ll leave both behind you. But a healthy body is not necessarily the key to spiritual victory and eternal good health.
No, I’m not saying that we ought to be content with our sicknesses. Yes we should pray and ask God for healing. But if that is the focus of your existence and measure of His love, I really don’t’ think your prayers will avail much.

Not even Jesus had “carte blanche” healing gifting. Some people He prayed for were not healed. It wasn’t that they lacked faith in healing. They lacked faith in Who He is. Take for instance, the man who was healed by Peter and John at the opening of the new church age in the book of ACTS. This man had been there for years. He was near the temple gate. Surely Jesus must have past by him many, many times. Why didn’t’ Jesus heal him long before the day that Peter came by? Was it the Lord’s lack of compassion? Or did God have greater glory and honor to share with His children by allowing them to be part of His plan of love toward all men?
Surely it is God’s will for us to walk in good health. So what’s the problem, you ask? Well, there is no pat answer. Christianity is not a catalog of prescribed answers. It is a daily walk with God through the Son by the Holy Spirit. There is a trust that must be aligned between man and God. This trust goes beyond religious certainty. It goes beyond human wisdom and understanding. It goes beyond physical health or lack thereof. How?
Jesus said that He did not do anything unless He saw or heard His Father doing it. When the Father told Him to raise up that mother’s only son, it then became a certainty that the child would be raised. He did not have to pray the prayer of faith. He simply told the child to rise up, and the child did rise up. Jesus had all the power of heaven backing Him up. If we are His disciples, should we not do as He did? Should we not steal away to the secret place and be alone with God so that He can direct our steps rather than us going out on limbs of "faith" that have no objective fruit?

I’ve noticed, in my life, that 10 out of 10 people die. If a heart attack don’t’ kill you, something serious will. All will die in the flesh. No amount of faith will keep our bodies indefinitely out of the grave. I do believe we can all agree on that. This being so, then we must yield to the fact that some physical problem or problems will overtake everyone sooner or later and we will die, regardless of who is praying for us and for how long. No amount of fasting will keep us out of the grave. Does this mean we should not pray to God for healing? No. But don’t let the lack of healing after prayer crush your faith. Our blessed hope is not in our healing, but in the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Don’t let some preacher steal your salvation because he claimed you lacked faith and were not healed.

Yes, again, God has our welfare at the center piece of His love. So why aren’t more people healed? I believe the biggest problem is sin. What sin? The riches and cares of this world have choked off the word and have kept it from bearing fruit. Too much compromise, and too much permissiveness in our personal lives and in our ministry. Why? Because the truth of the Bible in regards to how we should live our lives is no more popular today than it was in the day of the rich young ruler. Preach the truth regularly today, and you will have a very small number of people to preach too.

Smith Wigglesworth saw many people healed in his ministry. But not all. Surely he was more successful than most any other modern era minister. His key to success? Seperation of world and faith. Smith couldn’t read or write. His wife taught him these skills. Then she gave him a bible. He soon decided that it was the only thing he needed to read. And He would not read anything else. He lived before the age of TV. I’m dead certain that if he would not allow a newspaper in his home, surely TV would not have made it in either. He lead a peculiar life, saints, free from attachment to worldly passions. He stayed attached to God. And God told him what to do and when to do it. He was a disciple of Jesus Christ. He did things the way Jesus did them. He talked them over with the Father, and then obeyed the Father’s leading and guiding. Alleluia.

I believe that physical healing is part of the redemption victory. Again, God is more interested in our spiritual health than He is in our physical health. Sometimes sickness or disease keeps us ever before God and dependent on Him, whereas if we were healed physically, our health might afford us the opportunity to get caught up in idolatry, that is, dependent on our personal effort and ability rather than on God.

Liberty is not always good to some.
There are some animals that do not need to be fenced to keep them at home with their master. On the other hand, others have to be corralled continually, or off they go into the wide open spaces.

Sickness and infirmity are often a means of getting ones’ heart turned toward God and keeping it there. Had they continued on in health, they would not have seen the need for God and they may likely have lost their soul. That is not God’s will. God’s will is that all men be saved, and He will allow most anything to enter our path, if our path is not the narrow way.

A.W. Tozer penned one of my favorite quotes. He wrote, “God crucifies without pity, those whom He wishes to raise without measure”. See God wants us molded into the image and likeness of Jesus Christ. For that to happen, we must die, by faith and affirmation. We must present ourselves as living sacrifices. Flesh does not welcome death. Flesh does not welcome the cross. But if we are to live in Christ, we must die with Him. If we are to enjoy the fellowship of His victory, we must suffer death of our selves. If we labor to keep our life, we shall surely lose it.

The proverbs writer wrote, “trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding”. Take everything to God in prayer, but leave how He answers that prayer to Him. I don’t have to understand how God does things to be blessed by Him. I just have to believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Now, about “faith healers”? In my humble opinion, 99.9% of them are a sham, a phony, and a disgrace to God. I’ve seen too many up close and personal. The same people that are in their healing line today are in it for the same thing the next time they come to town. I’ve only seen one person get up out of a wheel chair in my life. I’ve seen hundreds leave a service in their wheel chairs, discouraged and disillusioned. Very sad.

I believe that what God wants is for His Body to come back to Him. Come back to Him in faith. Come back to Him in worship. Come back to Him in personal relationship. Come back to Him in separation from the world and all it’idolatrous passions and lusts. We need to become a holy nation once again. Then we will see more people healed. But we will see countless more saved, and filled with His Spirit. Thanks be to God.

I believe that is God’s heart and design for our lives. We must repent, and turn from our wicked ways, humble ourselves in prayer. We will find God there, rest from our labors of self righteousness, and healing for our souls, and our bodies too.

Now, in closing, I don’t want to imply that I am judging anyone’s personal situation, their faith, or their battles with sickness. Each one’s walk with God is personal and unique. Take your troubles to God. Make spiritual health your number one goal, and all other things shall be added unto you. God promised. He always keeps His Word.

Humbly before Him,

Lahry

2008/4/5 12:09Profile
psalm1

Re: Real Healing

I think a person can get bogged down with questions, why wasn't this one ,or that one healed?

Healing was accomplished on the cross.
salvation accomplished on the cross.

I am saved and I am healed.

I like what Wigglesworth says;
"Faith is just the open door through which the Lord comes. Do not say, "I was healed by faith." Faith does not save. God saves through that open door. Healing comes the same way. You believe, and the virtue of Christ comes. Healing is for the glory of God. I am here because God healed me when I was dying; and I have been all round the world preaching this full redemption, doing all I can to bring glory to the wonderful name of Jesus, through whom I was healed.

"Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon thee." The Lord told us in one place about an evil spirit going out from a man. The house that he left got all swept arid garnished, but it received no new occupant. And that evil spirit, with seven other spirits more wicked than himself, went back to that unoccupied house, and the last stage of the man was worse than the first. The Lord does not heal you to go to a baseball game or to a race meet. He heals you for His glory and that from henceforth your life shall glorify Him. But this man remained stationary. He did not magnify God. He did not seek to be filled with the Spirit. And his last state became worse than the first."

Bless his holy,wonderful,powerful name.

David

2008/4/5 12:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy