SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mental Disorders... Spiritual?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Moreofhim

Miss Chanin,

That was a very powerful testimony! I especially like the following quote from you:

"Notice that we are never set free to control our own lives. We are either a slave to sin or a slave to righteousness. That is what most people don't understand. I did not understand it. God will never help you take control of your own life, He wants control and either you give it to Him or you remain a slave to sin. That does not mean you are not saved, it means that your sinful nature is still in control."

Thank you for taking the time to write that.

James

2004/6/18 20:55Profile
moreofHim

Re: Moreofhim

Jimm, I'd like to take credit for that but it was a response from this man "Ralph" (who deals with these things on his website) to another email he recieved. I do agree wholeheartedly though!!!

There is a type of Christian counseling which is called Nouthetic- I believe. It is totally biblical, a no nonsense approach. I have actually thought of getting involved with it, maybe taking their courses.

They embrace these three ideas

Confrontation: one Christian personally gives counsel to another from the Scriptures. He does not confront him with his own ideas or the ideas of others. He limits his counsel strictly to that which may be found in the Bible, believing that "All Scripture is breathed out by God and useful for teaching, for conviction, for correction and for disciplined training in righteousness in order to fit and fully equip the man from God for every good task."

Concern: we mean that counseling is always done for the benefit of the counselee. His welfare is always in view in Biblical counseling. The apostle Paul put it this way: "I am not writing these things to shame you, but to counsel you as my dear children." (1 Corinthians 4:14) Plainly, the familial nature of the word noutheteo appears in this verse. There is always a warm, family note to biblical counseling which is done among the saints of God who seek to help one another become more like Christ

Change: we mean that counseling is done because there is something in another Christian's life that fails to meet the biblical requirements and that, therefore, keeps him from honoring God. All counseling -- Biblical or otherwise-- attempts change. Only Biblical counselors know what a counselee should become as the result of counseling: he should look more like Christ. Biblical counseling is done by Christians who are convinced that God is able to make the changes that are necessary as His Word is ministered in the power of the Spirit.

Wow, I find that I have so much to say on this topic. Personal experience goes a long way. :-)

2004/6/18 21:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy