· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Love one another with a pure heart fervently

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Love one another with a pure heart fervently

When I was looking for a hymntune this evening, I got side-tracked. First, it was to the largest massed pipeband at the Ediburgh Military Tattoo for forty-something years, who ended with a superb drum salute... and then... it was this.

Attracted by the slightly idiosyncratic title, I found myself challenged by a surge of wonder at the performance, thoughts jostling with each other about the lessons which might pertain to us who are supposed to 'like a mighty army, moves the Church of God' according to the hymn 'Onward Christian soldiers'.

I thought it might do the same for you, although I know this seems to bear no resemblance to the concept of a body. Still, if within our bodies there ceases to be the military precision by which each organ functions and adjusts to the challenges put upon it to perform or compensate, we would be dead. I know which part of my life is due for a precision adjustment - BEDTIME!

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7k6VYGtm8g&feature=related]Top Secret Drum Corps[/url]

Enjoy! :-D

EDIT: This clip was posted by a different person, and may work better for some systems.

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=SVMiHC2Bj6k&feature=related]Top Secret Drum Corps[/url]

I just love that name!

2008/4/1 13:17
HeartSong

Re: Love one another with a pure heart fervently

Oh the beauty of the flow of something that is perfectly in tune!
Our LORD is the consummate director. It is interesting that the more something is perfected - the more obvious it is when something is out of place.

2008/4/1 14:10Profile

Re:

Now that's commitment! Thanks for sharing sister, Lynn.

2008/4/1 14:21

HeartSong said

Quote:
It is interesting that the more something is perfected - the more obvious it is when something is out of place.

This is very true!

Yet we, we must remember that our love has not to be merely a perfect performance outwardly, for unless it comes from the heart, it will fall far short of its purpose, which is to assure [u]others[/u] of God's love for them.

I think this is where the rubber meets the road, reminding me strongly of the association Paul makes with God's love, and comfort; we might say it is the comfort of the Holy Ghost to which he refers in 2 Corinthians 1. How I am challenged by his claim to have been comforted by God.... comforted [i]by God Himself[/i]! Wow! But whyever was that necessary?

He tells us in 2 Cor 3 and 4, where the consequences of preaching are

[color=6633FF]8 [i]We are[/i] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [i]we are[/i] perplexed, but not in despair;
9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
11 For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. [/color]

This is why we are to love one another.... because not everyone suffers as publicly as Paul (and the other first apostles) did. If this is true:

[color=6633FF]12 [u]So then death worketh in us[/u], but life in you.[/color] [Amen. May this be.]
[color=6633FF]13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;
14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present [i]us[/i] with you.
15 For all things [i]are[/i] for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward [i]man[/i] is renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding [i]and[/i] eternal weight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [i]are[/i] temporal; but the things which are not seen [i]are[/i] eternal. [/color]

Psalm18 said
Quote:
Now that's commitment!

It is, and one cannot be self-conscious if one is to perform at an event where 100 million people are going to watch.... so I put it to you (quoting other writers) that 'commitment' is not enough.

What other word describes an even deeper level of 'commitment'?

2008/4/2 4:59
jordanamo

Re:

Thanks for sharing the video dorcas!

Quote:

What other word describes an even deeper level of 'commitment'?

"Commitment" is a bit too imprecise of a word I think as well. I would say duty is a much better word. As the soldier has a duty to serve their country, the Christian soldier has a duty after revelation has come down from High, to glorify and praise God as well as to love their neighbor. Especially, I would emphasize that we as Christians have the utmost right and duty to speak out for the plight of the poor and working-class.

Too often than not we Christians accept social misery as a fact and the greatest concern is to simply prepare ourselves for heaven. But it tears apart the entire ministry of Jesus and what God is wanting to do with Creation. For the Kingdom of God has come to the poor: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matt. 11:28) while saying to the rich "Woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation" (Luke 6:24) as well as that "the tax collectors and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you" (Matt 21:31). So He is very concerned in social and material matters, especially those who are poor (by poor, I don't just mean homeless, but working-class). I think it is an issue we should consider more given not only its biblical bases but the simple failing of the church in responding to this.

Jordan

2008/4/5 21:42Profile

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your thoughtful response... which packs a bit of a punch, I think.

In answer to my question, you were very close at the beginning of your reply, and 'duty' is not a word I had considered.

The whole matter of becoming a soldier, though, touches on what was in my mind - [i]surrender[/i]. A soldier has to surrender his rights over everything - from who shares his bedroom (dorm) and where he gets water to drink, to how he spends his days [i]and[/i] his nights. Nothing is beyond the reach of the military commander, to [u]require[/u] of his men.

It is with this understanding, that the soldier signs up [i]willingly[/i] to serve King (Jesus) and country (the kingdom of God below and heaven above), and for his complete abandonment to his duties, he is rewarded with the necessities of his natural life (unless he dies in battle), and a lifelong supply thereafter (eternal life).

To my mind, 'commitment' leaves an element of choice in the equation, which could include relinquishing that commitment if it got too much to carry.

What do you think? Is 'commitment' as radical as 'surrender'?

Hi Psalm18,

What do you make of this unexpected comparason?

2008/4/7 14:29
destinysweet

Re:

Commitment,abandonment,and surrender all speak of a radical departure from what was priority to another higher focus,from there you can understand duty ,thus being made able to fulfil it as required.However,undergirding all of these I see motivation..and purity of this which is held plumb by the highest law..Love..without love as motivation all these other concepts will fail..love endures..it motivates..provides the purity(integrity) and strength..the joy if you will..of abandoned surrender..it it the foundation upon which all commitment must be made..or all this ,should it rest upon anything else, will fail.It is always love that supercedes everything else.
God loves us..His love provides us with love to love Him in return..then His love again spills over to love through us..we are then able to love all of God's creation.

We know that God cannot abide oppression..and we are His ambassadors..He does have us pray and then speakout against whatever He deems oppressive and unrighteous.

One of the things that is impressed upon me quite often..when I see the state of the body of Christ at large..is what was lost..The lifestyle given to the first century believers was one of having all things in common..who set this up..was it earthly or heavenly? Did it come as part of the Pentecostal outpouring..looks that way to me..God seems to find it important enough to bring to my attention..He says therein lies the problem..the disconnect..where the apathy,the selfishness has been allowed to go on unhindered..where there has been no challenge to newly converted souls to die to the old lifestyle..no example of surrendered committment to serve others with your wealth or abundance..no breaking of these strongholds from the get go..missing is the selfless lifestyle..a heavenly provision..which focused everyone on everyone else..put them all on the same page...no place for the 'Us 4 and no more' mentality.

We see very clearly that Annanias and Sapphira were dealt with very severely,more noticeably than we see described regarding anything else,when they messed with this structure.Peter said it was Satan who had beguiled them ..why was he so interested in undermining the integrity of this radical structure..It provided an outward place of radical departure from the old way everyone lives naturally.Why was God so fiercely protective of this brand new way..this Way that came into being with the outpouring? I have come to believe it was a righteous, a heavenly principle being laid..a foundational piece..crucial to God's people for holding that selfless,one for all mindset in the lives of the believers.
When I see the obvious disconnect in the lives,hearts and minds of today's believers..I can hear God say..It is what has gone missing.

Looking back..this is the one of the first things He showed me upon my conversion..when He committed me to Himself.In this missing structure you find love of God and the others as yourself. This foundational structure tore into man's class seperations,did away with them..man's unholy sense of superiority..it leveled the field..everyone was as important to the whole..as each one had need.You can see..upon consideration the truth behind what I present here.This was not a quaint thing that is no longer relevant..this is one reason revival doesn't stick when it comes in bursts..man has become too ingrained in his rights to have his own..I earned it.. it's mine..my house..my car..my stuff..and don't you touch it..Mine!..ouch.. We have lost more than we can know when this was left behind as unimportant,irrelevant or unattainable.

His love upholds my commitment,my abandoned surrender..even this is His doing..no doubt about it.

Dorcas..saw that video the othernight..made me think of a bunch of little drummer boys..who instead of going off to war..were on their way to perform in honor of their newborn King.

Very skilled..practice makes perfect.Which reminds me,I think I hear my guitar calling!

2008/4/7 16:21Profile

destinysweet said

Quote:
This was not a quaint thing that is no longer relevant..[b]this is one reason revival doesn't stick[/b] when it comes in bursts..man has become too ingrained in his rights to have his own..I earned it.. it's mine..my house..my car..my stuff..and don't you touch it..Mine!..ouch..

Isn't the big challenge not that it's wrong to have these things [i]per se[/i], but holding them as [i]not[/i] our own?

Quote:
We have lost more than we can know when this was left behind as unimportant,irrelevant or unattainable.

Liked your thesis here, sister.

Radical thinking. Biblical thinking.

Pity it's out of vogue.

2008/4/8 16:04
Compton

Re:

Much to consider here---

Quote:
The lifestyle given to the first century believers was one of having all things in common..who set this up..was it earthly or heavenly? ... therein lies the problem..the disconnect.

For what it's worth, there are some notable exceptions of connections transcending even racial, political, and economic interests in this nation. Whether we call this revival or just healthy Christianity, here is something you won't see on the news; a church where racial and economic disconnections are put aside because of the connection in Christ. I believe this is what love for one another beyond mere sentimental platitudes might look like.

[url=http://www.bpnews.net/printerfriendly.asp?ID=27774]Franklin Avenue Baptist Church[/url]

[url=http://www.franklinabc.com/index.html]Church site[/url]

Blessings,

2008/4/8 16:46Profile
destinysweet

Re:

When we are fully surrendered to God..we are not our own..thus all that we own is not ours but God's..we only steward that which is in our possession.Things of and in themselves aren't bad/evil..just as money is only a means of exchange and is not evil in itself..it is the love of money and things that is evil. Where is our treasure? What is of greater importance? The presentable neatness of your living room or the salvation of that person who needs you to put them up on your couch for a season while you assist them by faith in their new life in Christ?

This type of hospitality is one of the things Jesus will be using to divide the true saints from the imposters.Will He be able to say good work..that was Me you made room for even when you barely had enough to feed your own smaller family..thank you for setting the greater loving example to your little ones...to your neighbors.

Out of vogue..not the current trend or fashion. Reminds me of a recent conversation with my daughter..she asked me does this look ok..dressed in something that I found to be quite lovely..modest and elegant..creatively original but not showy. "You are asking me?" We have a running joke about how out of touch my 'sense of what's fashionable' actually is compared to the younger set. Hmm..she must be feeling rather insecure to be asking me..So I offered..Remember my dear..we are not called to follow popular trends..we are called to lead..we set the trends by staying true to the standard we know pleases God..the others will follow or not.When you seek to please or fit in with your peers you will always be insecure..when you see what is pleasing to God and respond accordingly..you will stand out as a leader who shines,you will be clothed with favor..lead your peers,honey,don't follow them.

2008/4/8 18:09Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy