SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Get thee out

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Get thee out

[b]Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: [/b] - Gen 12:1

some excerpts from MHC

[i]I. A trying precept: Get thee out of thy country, Gen_12:1. Now,
1. By this precept he was tried whether he loved his native soil and dearest friends, and whether he could willingly leave all, to go along with God. His country had become idolatrous, his kindred and his father's house were a constant temptation to him, and he could not continue with them without danger of being infected by them; therefore Get thee out, yalak - Vade tibi, Get thee gone, with all speed, escape for thy life, look not behind thee, Gen_19:17. Note, Those that are in a sinful state are concerned to make all possible haste out of it. Get out for thyself (so some read it), that is, for thy own good. Note, Those who leave their sins, and turn to God, will themselves be unspeakable gainers by the change, Pro_9:12. This command which God gave to Abram is much the same with the gospel call by which all the spiritual seed of faithful Abram are brought into covenant with God. For, (1.) Natural affection must give way to divine grace. Our country is dear to us, our kindred dearer, and our father's house dearest of all; and yet they must all be hated (Luk_14:26), that is, we must love them less than Christ, hate them in comparison with him, and, whenever any of these come in competition with him, they must be postponed, and the preference given to the will and honour of the Lord Jesus.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

By this precept he was tried whether he could trust God further than he saw him; for he must leave his own country, to go to a land that God would show him. He does not say, “It is a land that I will give thee,” but merely, “a land that I will show thee.” Nor does he tell him what land it was, nor what kind of land; but he must follow God with an implicit faith, and take God's word for it, in the general, though he had no particular securities given him that he should be no loser by leaving his country, to follow God. Note, Those that will deal with God must deal upon trust; we must quit the things that are seen for things that are not seen, and submit to the sufferings of this present time in hopes of a glory that is yet to be revealed (Rom_8:18); for it doth not yet appear what we shall be (1Jo_3:2), any more than it did to Abram, when God called him to a land he would show him, so teaching him to live in a continual dependence upon his direction, and with his eye ever towards him.
[/i]

2008/3/26 8:28Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Get thee out

Quote: '...and take God's word for it, ...'

That is the essence of the Christian faith. Taking God at His word.

God bless.

2008/3/26 8:52Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

The call of God to us is to come out from among
them (the world and its values) and be separate
unto Him; to live for His glory, His kingdom,
and His purpose!!

2008/3/26 11:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

sojourner7 wrote:
The call of God to us is to come out from among
them (the world and its values) and be separate
unto Him; to live for His glory, His kingdom,
and His purpose!!

Amen.

although, i am finding myself many times using "christian" words and phrases, with little or no "reality" in my every day walk.

I meen phrases like "glory to God"

"dead with Christ"

"the blood"

"sanctification"

"Holy"

and all these wonderful glorious truths, like when speaking of the forgiveness of sins, just that should make us burst into tears of such joy we should just begin to worship God for his greatness.

And also these phrases thart are just equally true and just as amazingly wonderful.

like separation from the world, and go out from it...

but what practical and everyday consequence has our departing?

how does it show?

does it show? or is it just a phraseology we learn from hanging out in churches and in forums and listening to sermons and reading other men and womens encounters with God?

Dont get me wrong, all these things are very good, even needed I dare say. To grow and to mature and to get inspired and exhorted and rebuked and all these good things for our walk.

But i notice a "tendency" in my own walk and life. It become a formality, just words. I have to strive to keep the seriousness and the eternal awe of the truly greatness in it all.

yesterday i was in a prayer meeting, i was not moved in my spirit. It felt all "dry" and empty, yet i heard myself pray these wonderful words....but with no "effect" in my spirit, just religious phrases with little or no reality for my soul.

I heard myself thank God but i was not thankful, i praised him without being in majestic awe of his glory or holiness....

and when reading the above comments from MH i feel the same, i will say here and to people "come out from the world".

But what does that meen in practical everyday life?

of course a lot of things.... but i am seeing in many cases in my life they are just words...

may God grant me a sinner more mercy and more truth and a deeper reality in my words.

Christian

2008/3/27 4:10Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Sometimes, I guess, we lose sight of what God wants, whether we realise it or not.

Yes, we want God, and all He wants, but...

With or without feelings, God's word is unchanging. And God is unchanging.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you it tells us in James 4.

I do that, no matter how I feel. That is not to dismiss that we will not go through dry times. We will, we have.

But concerning feelings, they come and go. So we have to look to God's unchanging word, to His promises.

And He promised never to leave us nor forsake us.

God bless.

2008/3/27 8:07Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Another blessed section from MHC...

Gen 15:9-11 So He said to him, "Bring Me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old female goat, a three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a young pigeon." Then he brought all these to Him and cut them in two, down the middle, and placed each piece opposite the other; but he did not cut the birds in two. And when the vultures came down on the carcasses, Abram drove them away.

[i]God directs Abram to make preparations for a sacrifice, intending by that to give him a sign, and Abram makes preparation accordingly (Gen_15:9-11): Take me a heifer, etc. Perhaps Abram expected some extraordinary sign from heaven; but God gives him a sign upon a sacrifice. Note, Those that would receive the assurances of God's favour, and would have their faith confirmed, must attend instituted ordinances, and expect to meet with God in them.

Observe,

1. God appointed that each of the beasts used for this service should be three years old, because then they were at their full growth and strength: God must be served with the best we have, for he is the best.

2. We do not read that God gave Abram particular directions how to manage these beasts and fowls, knowing that he was so well versed in the law and custom of sacrifices that he needed not any particular directions; or perhaps instructions were given him, which he carefully observed, thought they are not recorded: at least it was intimated to him that they must be prepared for the solemnity of ratifying a covenant; and he well knew the manner of preparing them.

3. Abram took as God appointed him, though as yet he knew not how these things should become a sign to him. This was not the first instance of Abram's implicit obedience. He divided the beasts in the midst, according to the ceremony used in confirming covenants, Jer_34:18, Jer_34:19, where it is said, They cut the calf in twain, and passed between the parts.

4. Abram, having prepared according to God's appointment, now set himself to wait for the sign God might give him by these, like the prophet upon his watch-tower, Hab_2:1. While God's appearing to own his sacrifice was deferred, Abram continued waiting, and his expectations were raised by the delay; when the fowls came down upon the carcasses to prey upon them, as common and neglected things, Abram drove them away (Gen_15:11), believing that the vision would, at the end, speak, and not lie. Note, A very watchful eye must be kept upon our spiritual sacrifices, that nothing be suffered to prey upon them and render them unfit for God's acceptance. When vain thoughts, like these fowls, come down upon our sacrifices, we must drive them away, and not suffer them to lodge within us, but attend on God without distraction.[/i]

2008/3/28 16:55Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Sorry to have to ask, but who is MHC. Thanks.

2008/3/28 17:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:
Sorry to have to ask, but who is MHC. Thanks.

[b]M[/b]atthew [b]H[/b]enry [b]C[/b]ommentary (on the whole bible)

:-)

2008/3/28 17:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Thanks. Now I can go and look it up.

God bless.

2008/3/28 17:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy