SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : If you celebrate Good Friday... You're too late!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

If you celebrate Good Friday... You're too late!

Matthew 12:40 [i]"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be [b]three days and three nights[/b] in the heart of the earth."[/i]

In case you are not good with math, Jesus wasnt crucified on Friday. :-)

Many have misunderstood what is meant in scripture during Christ trial and crucifiction when it refers to the Sabbath. The Sabbath in reference is not the weekly Saturday Sabbath, but rather the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The first day of that Feast was a Sabbath as well, and makes total sense in light of Matthew 12:40.

Christ was actually crucifed and laid in the grave on Wednesday.

So Good Wednesday!

Krispy

2008/3/19 8:12
BlazedbyGod

Re: If you celebrate Good Friday... You're too late!

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Matthew 12:40 [i]"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be [b]three days and three nights[/b] in the heart of the earth."[/i]

In case you are not good with math, Jesus wasnt crucified on Friday. :-)

Many have misunderstood what is meant in scripture during Christ trial and crucifiction when it refers to the Sabbath. The Sabbath in reference is not the weekly Saturday Sabbath, but rather the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The first day of that Feast was a Sabbath as well, and makes total sense in light of Matthew 12:40.

Christ was actually crucifed and laid in the grave on Wednesday.

So Good Wednesday!

Krispy

I can say AMEN to that Krispy, I actually had this same conversation with a friend of mines yesterday. However, I want to point out something to you and anyone else who reads this thread that I pointed out to my friend yesterday.

If Jesus died on Wednesday, well; wouldn't three days and three nights from Wednesday be Saturday-the 7th Day Sabbath, making Saturday the day that Jesus would have been risen from the dead.

I am glad you started this thread, because I was actually going to start one today called " What Day did Jesus die"-but you beat me to it :-)

Now of course I am familiar with verses like:
Matt 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:9Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils

My question is, how do these verses take into play with Jesus dying on Wednesday?

Note: I am not trying to turn this thread into a thread about the Sabbath, I am just stating something that I realized in connection with the topic of this thread " Good Wednesday" when having this discussion yesterday.

2008/3/19 8:29Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Hmmm....Died Wednesday night (evening), in the tomb all day Thurs, Fri, Sat. Empty tomb Sunday morn. Thus resurection Sunday, or Easter as the pagans began calling it.

2008/3/19 8:37Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

John173 wrote:
Hmmm....Died Wednesday night (evening), in the tomb all day Thurs, Fri, Sat. Empty tomb Sunday morn. Thus resurection Sunday, or Easter as the pagans began calling it.

Wouldn't that be four nights and three days though?

Also, I thought scripture said or taught that Christ died at 3:00pm ( I could be wrong on that one, but I thought I remember reading that one time)

So, if so, would 3:00pm be considered "night" in Jerusalem? Isn't the Sun still up in Jerusalem at 3:00pm?

2008/3/19 8:44Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Good points Blazed. Come to think of it, I had heard this teaching before about the feast day years ago, but the speaker put it as a Thursday sabbath.

2008/3/19 8:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
If Jesus died on Wednesday, well; wouldn't three days and three nights from Wednesday be Saturday-the 7th Day Sabbath, making Saturday the day that Jesus would have been risen from the dead.

Good question. The answer is that the Jewish day begins at 6pm. So today is Wednesday, and Thrusday will begin at 6pm this evening.

Jesus was placed in the grave before the Sabbath (Feast of Unleavened Bread) began, which would be before 6pm of what we would call Wednesday evening.

He arose from the grave sometime after 6pm Saturday evening, which would be Sunday... which the Jews observed as "the first day of the week".

Three days and three nights.

Quote:
but the speaker put it as a Thursday sabbath.

Yes, thats correct, a Thursday Sabbath. According to the Law they could not handle His body on a Sabbath, so they took Him down from the cross and placed Him in the tomb BEFORE the Sabbath (beginning of the Feast of Unleavened Bread - Thursday).

Krispy

2008/3/19 9:08
BlazedbyGod

Re:

"Good question. The answer is that the Jewish [b]day begins at 6pm.[/b] So today is Wednesday, and Thrusday will begin at 6pm this evening."

Do you mean the Jewish day starts at 6:00pm of what would be our Tuesday evening?

AM I understanding you correctly?

2008/3/19 9:14Profile

Re:

Yea... today is Wednesday. To the Jews of that time (and orthodox Jews of today), Thursday begins at 6pm this evening.

A friend of mine is Jewish, and the Sabbath begins at 6pm.

Krispy

2008/3/19 9:32
BlazedbyGod

Re:

So what would be Wednesday Night?

2008/3/19 9:49Profile

Re:

I dont know if they call dawn morning, or dusk evening... what does it matter? The Sabbath begins at 6pm (some say sun set). Thats what matters.

Krispy

2008/3/19 10:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy