Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The e-need

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
loveyouall

India

The e-need

The e-need
Hebrews 3:13

We all have needs and we all have need of the “e-need” … the need of encouragement. Who of us doesn’t need to be encouraged?

It is said that … Abraham Lincoln carried with him a newspaper clipping stating he was a great leader.

“Encouragement is a paramount human need.” – Dr. Benjamin Woods

Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

A word or act of encouragement might be that which … inspires us to try again … or to fill us with hope [not all is lost] … or that which commands courage and confidence.

But one thing about encouragement is … it is not given from a distance.

Encourage: (parakaleo) … to call near; to invite along side (parable: cast along side)

Who are we to call near? Who are we to invite along side to encourage?

The Discouraged:

Discouraging [deplete or deprive confidence, hope, spirit] circumstances can get us down … tempt us to turn away from one another, and even God/Christ.

Hebrews 3:12 See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. [as did a generation of people]

Discouragement can lead us to doubt God, turn away from trusting God, or calling out to God. All of which is sin in the “believer’s” life.

William Barclay wrote, “It is easy to laugh at men’s ideals; it is easy to discourage others. The world is full of discouragers. We have a Christian duty to encourage one another. Many a time a word of praise or thanks or appreciation or cheer has kept a man on his feet. Blessed is the man who speaks such a word.”

Encouraging the discouraged can be given in a variety to ways … a word, a smile, an act of kindness, or a prayer to help someone discouraged be encouraged.

The Encouraged:

Encouragement feeds the encourager to keep on encouraging others. So we encourage the encouraged.

Colossians 2:2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

Encouragement is … deliberate … defined … direct … durable …

e-need builds up …

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

e-need spurs on …

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

e-need strengthens faith …

Acts 14:22 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said.

We are encouraged to encourage others … daily. Everyday we should be looking for someone to encourage.

Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
Criticize me, and I may not like you.
Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.
Encourage me, and I will not forget you.
- William Arthur Ward

That’s the e-need we all need … encouragement.

Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today,

This sermon was preached by Robert AuBuchon at First Baptist Church Camdenton.

2008/3/16 5:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy