Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : peacemakers - Tyng

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

peacemakers - Tyng

PEACEMAKERS
"Blessed are the peacemakers." Matt 5:9
The gospel dwells and operates in a hostile world. A world full of warfare of its own. All these wars and fightings come from the sinful lusts and passions of men. They are the evidences and the results of the fallen nature of man. But the gospel makes also a warfare of its own. In resisting the wickedness of men, it provokes that wickedness to resist. It thus often sends a sword, before it sends peace among men. If the Christian will be faithful, he must endure hostility. He must bear persecution. In such a world my apportionment is placed. In all its hostilities, my own character is to be proved and tried. I cannot go out of the world. I am to receive and to fulfill the apportionment which is committed to me here. But what is to be my influence here? This I am to decide. The present title indicates it. I am to be a peacemaker. The disciples of Christ are peacemakers.
1. Then I must make no quarrels.This is a most important step. If all men would take it, wars and fightings would cease. But this is the Christian's stand. I must contend for the faith. I must be set for the defense of the gospel. I must endure in this whatever the Lord shall appoint. But I must make no quarrels. I must give no voluntary offence, that my ministry may not be blamed. But what a host of evils would this cut off! What control of my tongue will it require! What government of my temper and mind! What careful, forbearing, and benevolent walking among men! In my family--in my neighborhood--in my relationships to society--in the church--no division or warfare must be traced to me. To do good to all--evil to none--must be the rule and purpose of my life.
"A whisperer separates chief friends." I may hear much that I must not tell. I may know much that I must conceal. I must not allow evil tempers or jealousies towards any to dwell within me. Then I shall be sure not to excite the spirit of discord around me. Ah, how many painful quarrels have I seen arising from silly repetitions of a useless story--from some vain and empty desire to communicate some piece of news! Swift to hear that which is good, I ought to be. But slow to speak that which is evil.
2. Then I must not continue or perpetuate quarrels made by others.I may have had no part in the original warfare; and yet I may continue it by my own resentment. It requires two to make a quarrel. If I am passive to insult--deaf to reproach--slow to get angry--refusing to resent, or vindicate myself--the fire must soon go out. I see many Christians who will not begin, but they will not end a quarrel. How can they be peacemakers? It is impossible but that offences will come. Woe only to the man by whom they come--not to the man who patiently and quietly bears them. But can I receive to confidence one who has injured me? I am not bound to receive or to justify a character which I disapprove. I must not give countenance to that which I know to be wrong. But my reason must be there--not in my own endurance of personal wrong. This I cannot, must not resist. I shall withdraw myself from every brother that walks disorderly. But neither in word or deed must I prolong the strife. I must bless when they curse--I must pray when they persecute. Thus, where is no fuel, the fire goes out. Blessed will be the recollection, that when I was reviled, I reviled not again.
3. But I must actively endeavor to heal all quarrels within my reach.In my private relationships, I would thus be an active peacemaker. Trying to unite, and never to separate others. I shall have frequent opportunities to do this. If the love of Christ dwells in my heart, I shall wish to do it, whenever I have opportunity. What a blessing to society is one peace-loving and peace-making spirit! What a blessing is it in a household! How great a blessing to the one who retains it! In the religious relationships of men, I must seek for peace. I will have no part in religious controversy. I will strive to be at unity with all the real people of God. I will give all my influence to encourage and promote that unity among others. There is no question among real Christians that is worth a single hour's bitterness. I may do something towards allaying the bitterness which I see. At any rate, I will do nothing to promote it. Thus, by my example, my influence, my exhortations, and my efforts, I shall help to make the Lord's people one--and shall have the comfort of having been a peacemaker in the body of Christ.
4. Then I must labor for the dominion of the gospel among men.This is the great peacemaker. When the hearts of men are truly converted, they will seek the things which make for peace. I cannot promote peace on earth more surely, than by promoting the influence and dominion of the gospel. What can I do to promote this? Can I teach any one? Can I circulate God's holy Bible among them? Can I faithfully attend and maintain a ministry of the pure gospel? Can I help to send the gospel abroad to others? I may do all these. But surely I can always maintain the truth of the gospel. I can stand upon its side. I can exemplify its commands. I can pray for its prosperity. I can ask for divine blessings upon its ministry.
I know not what I can do. The actual influence of all that I do, it is impossible for me to know. God may do much more with me, and by me, than I imagine. At any rate, I will do all I can. All that I can do shall be to promote and establish my Savior's gospel. Thus shall I be really a peacemaker among men, far more extensively than any personal labors of mine can reach them. Thus shall I carry out the influence which this title describes.
5. If I am one of the Lord's peacemakers, I shall thus be distinguished and occupied--originating no quarrels--prolonging none--striving actively to heal all--laboring to extend the gospel, which is to give peace to all. It is a most happy and useful mission. I can in no way more truly honor God; in no way more really gain abiding blessings to myself. Oh, let me constantly thus live and act. This was the example of my gracious Master.
Oh how benevolent and kind,
How mild, how ready to forgive!
Be this the temper of my mind,
And these the rules by which I live.
Dispensing good wherever he came,
The labors of his life were love.
Then, if I bear a Savior's name,
By his example let me move.

2008/3/11 14:16Profile
Compton

Re: peacemakers - Tyng

A new commandment I give unto you.

Be thou nice.

Somehow it doesn't have the same ring to it. Are we quite certain that Jesus lived by an overarching principle of avoiding quarrels? ;-)

MC

2008/3/11 15:23Profile
pastorfrin

Re: peacemakers - Tyng

Great post Brother,

Our Lord called the 'peacemaker' blessed for a reason, Ah yes, "for they shall be called the children of God."

Here is one by Spurgeon.

“Thou shalt love thy neighbour.”
— Matthew 5:43

“Love thy neighbour.” Perhaps he rolls in riches, and thou art poor, and living in thy little cot side-by-side with his lordly mansion; thou seest every day his estates, his fine linen, and his sumptuous banquets; God has given him these gifts, covet not his wealth, and think no hard thoughts concerning him. Be content with thine own lot, if thou canst not better it, but do not look upon thy neighbour, and wish that he were as thyself. Love him, and then thou wilt not envy him.

Perhaps, on the other hand, thou art rich, and near thee reside the poor. Do not scorn to call them neighbour. Own that thou art bound to love them. The world calls them thy inferiors. In what are they inferior? They are far more thine equals than thine inferiors, for “God hath made of one blood all people that dwell upon the face of the earth.” It is thy coat which is better than theirs, but thou art by no means better than they. They are men, and what art thou more than that? Take heed that thou love thy neighbour even though he be in rags, or sunken in the depths of poverty.

But, perhaps, you say, “I cannot love my neighbours, because for all I do they return ingratitude and contempt.” So much the more room for the heroism of love. Wouldst thou be a feather-bed warrior, instead of bearing the rough fight of love? He who dares the most, shall win the most; and if rough be thy path of love, tread it boldly, still loving thy neighbours through thick and thin. Heap coals of fire on their heads, and if they be hard to please, seek not to please them, but to please thy Master; and remember if they spurn thy love, thy Master hath not spurned it, and thy deed is as acceptable to him as if it had been acceptable to them. Love thy neighbour, for in so doing thou art following the footsteps of Christ.

Spurgeon, C. H.

2008/3/12 5:10Profile
Compton

Re:

I still have the question about the original post...

is avoiding quarrels synonymous with being a peacemaker? (Obviously we should be avoiding needless or personal bickering.)

Quote:
Wouldst thou be a feather-bed warrior, instead of bearing the rough fight of love?

For that matter is there a difference between loving someone, and merely obligingly giving difference to avoid them altogether. If a man avoids a quarrel with a wayward son...is such a man a peacemaker after-all? What about a man who sees serious wrongdoing at his workplace and looks the other way?

Perhaps it's not even worth mentioning, but I do think we must be careful about making the avoidance of quarrels a law...if peace is really the goal.

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

MC

2008/3/12 7:01Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree

God's sweetest memorial is the transformed thorn and thistle blooming with flowers of peace and goodness where once recriminations grew. God is waiting to make just such memorials in your life out of the things that are hurting you most today. Take the grievances, the separations, the strained friendships and the broken ties which have been the sorrow and heartbreak of your life and let God heal them. Allow Him to give you grace that can make you right with all those with whom you have been wrong. You will wonder at the joy and, blessing that will come out of the things that have caused you nothing but regret and pain. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God (Matthew 5:9). The everlasting employment of our blessed Redeemer is to reconcile the guilty and the estranged from God. The highest and most Christlike work that we can do is to be like Him. Shall we go forth to dry the tears of a sorrowing world, to heal the brokenhearted, to bind up the wounds of human lives, and to unite heart to heart and earth to heaven?

A.B. Simpson

2008/3/12 21:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy