SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Controversial Nova Scotia radio reverend dead at 90

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
repentcanada

Controversial Nova Scotia radio reverend dead at 90

Controversial Nova Scotia radio reverend dead at 90

By THE CANADIAN PRESS and OUR STAFF
Mon. Mar 10 - 2:27 PM

Perry F. Rockwood, a pastor whose weekly radio sermon, the Peoples Gospel Hour, has been heard around the world has died in Halifax at the age of 90.

Rockwood, who was born in New Glasgow, died Friday in hospital after a brief illness, about two weeks shy of his 91st birthday.
Ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1943, Rockwood suffered a bitter break from the church a few years later after charging the faith's leaders with apostasy during a four-sermon series.

The split made front-page news across Canada.

The fundamentalist preacher, partly known for railing against homosexuality and other issues, soon founded a radio program called the Peoples Gospel Hour, which first aired Sept. 5, 1947, on CKCL Radio based in Truro.

Aside from that program, which airs Sundays, Rockwood's project has grown to include Monday through Friday radio broadcasts and the publication of religious booklets.

His radio programs have been heard on stations in Canada, the United States and throughout the world, including Africa, Asia and Europe.

Rockwood also founded and served as the pastor of the Missionary Bible Church in Halifax.

During the Pope's visit to the region in 1984, Rockwood joined some 50 other people in a small parking lot behind the church to speak out against the Pope, the Roman Catholic Church and the sacraments.

Rockwood was to be buried Tuesday in Halifax following a funeral service.

2008/3/11 3:03Profile

Re: Controversial Nova Scotia radio reverend dead at 90

I had never heard of this guy until last week, ironically. I discovered "The Drew Marshall Show" online last week when doing a search on Larry Norman. For those who dont know who Drew Marshall is, he is a Christian radio talk show host out of Toronto.

Anyway, all of Drew's interviews are available for download, and I noticed this interview with Perry F. Rockwood in which Rev. Rockwood was going to defend the KJV... and thought cool, thats right up my alley.

Unfortunately it was probably the absolute worst defense of the KJV I have ever heard in my life. The man really didnt know what he was talking about and did a great disservice to the "cause", if you want to call it that. It may be because of his age, I dont know.

But God bless him for standing against the grain and calling a spade a spade when it comes to apostacy and other sins.

I bet he and Larry Norman are sitting on a bench somewhere in heaven having a laugh. Wouldnt that be a sight?

Krispy

2008/3/11 7:31
repentcanada

Re:

krsipy i know what your saying, I heard that same interview. sermon index please pray for the "drew marshall show" and if you listen to it, tae some things with a grain of salt. if you wonder why I say that, listen to the interview drew marshall and a couple of canadian women have with mark cahill.

2008/3/11 7:51Profile

Re:

Yea, I need to clarify that I am not holding Drew Marshall up as someone who is right on the mark all the time... he isnt. I dont agree with some of what I have heard.

Having said that, he is a phenominal interviewer. Almost every interview I've listened to... Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Kirk Cameron, Lisa Whelchel, Charlie Daniels... the person he is interviewing says at some point "Wow Drew... you've really done your homework!".

So I'll give him props for that, but there are some issues I strongly disagree with him on.

Krispy

2008/3/11 8:01

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy