Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Watchman Nee and the Taylor Brethren

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Watchman Nee and the Taylor Brethren

Watchman Nee and group of Taylor Brethren.

[img]http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/forum_images/nee.jpg[/img]

Standing: A. Mayo (Australia), Dr. Powell, Faithful Luke, Phillips,Joyce (Australia), Ye, W. J. House (Australia)
Seated: John Chang, Unknown, Unknown, Watchman Nee.

A. J. Gardiner says the group consisted of "six brothers, two from England, three from Australia, and one from America, and two sisters, wives of two of the brothers, visited China during, October, November and December, 1932". Not shown in the photo is Charles R. Barlow of London, England.

2003/8/5 18:14Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Exclusive vs. Open

Watchman Nee, through the help of a godly missionary, Margaret E. Barber, came to be very fond of the writings of the Plymouth Brethren in England. Eventually, the Brethren (Taylorite branch) took notice of the extensive book orders from this individual in China.

Friendship and fellowship began as a result, and it did not take long before Nee was invited to England. This opened up his thoughts, testimony, and writings to the Western world, which to this day, no other Chinese Christian could surpass.

However, it also did not take long for disputes over the doctrine of the church. Watchman Nee could not accept the exclusive stance taken by the Taylorites, and had favoured a much more open stance. The ties between the two groups dissolved as a result.

This is an interesting sidenote, since in subsequent years until today, critics often highlighted exclusiveness in Nee's ecclesiology as a major doctrinal weakness. However, it is important to keep in mind the historical context of his doctrine of the "local ground." Whatever its result was, the doctrine did arise from a genuine desire to express Christian unity in a practical way. It is precisely over the matter of unity that Nee was cut off from the fellowship of the Exclusive Brethren.

2004/6/15 12:03Profile
Malachiah

Re: Exclusive vs. Open

Amen brother Sam. Thank you for posting this information. I read some books of letters of James Taylor some many years ago. I would like to read those again. There are several that concern Watchman Nee. Do you know where these books can be obtained or if the letters are posted on the net? Thank you.
Malachiah

2004/6/16 0:48Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Malachiah,

I have not read and do not know where we could get books by James Taylor. I have never met an exclusive Brethren in my whole life. I find their principles too exclusive for my taste. :-x

Agent001

2004/6/16 8:37Profile
Malachiah

Re:

Sam. I agree with you concerning the Taylor group. Nevertheless, you invoked his name and the letters give much insight as to how James Taylor saw Watchman Nee.
Malachiah

2004/6/16 12:16Profile
Koinonia2

USA

Re:

The letters from the Taylor Group regarding Watchman Nee and the assemblies in China were published in the book [u]The Recovery and Maintenance of the Truth[/u] by A.J. Gardiner.

A lot of the content of these letters can be read online at: http://www.globalserve.net/~mybrethren/history/hy29chin.htm

I hope this helps!
DanielJ

2004/7/10 17:49Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Thanks Daniel.

In summary, the few areas of criticism that James Taylor made were:

1) That Watchman Nee held unscriptural view of prophecy. Examples cited were his view on partial rapture and also his view that the "gold" referred to in New Jerusalem is literal.

2) That Watchman Nee had committed an "error" by having fellowship and communion with Christians outside the Taylorite circle.

3) That Watchman Nee taught unscriptural principles of deliverance (no elaboration).

To all of these, according to these letters, Watchman Nee responded that he would not acknowledge to any of these "errors" without consultation and fellowship with the brothers in Shanghai.

2004/7/11 1:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy