SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Leviticus 7

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HopeinChrist

Leviticus 7

[u]Andrew Bonar on Leviticus #7[/u]

Sunday School pictures of the tabernacle and temple present them as something skin to a great English cathedral. In reality they were more like abattoirs! Here is Bonar commenting on Leviticus 7:1-2:

The blood must be ’sprinkled round about upon the altar.’ Surely Israel must have felt that their souls were reckoned very guilty by their God, since he spoke to them so continually in the language of blood. None but a heavy-laden sinner could relish this never-varying exhibition of blood to the eye of the worshipper. The pilgrims to Zion, in after days, must often, as they journeyed through the vale of Baca, have wondered what was to be seen and heard in the courts of the Lord’s house, of which the worshippers sang, ‘How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts! My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God … Blessed are they that dwell in thy house!’ (Ps. 85:1, 2, 4). And when they arrived, and saw in these courts blood on the altar, blood in the bowls of the altar, blood on its four horns, blood on its sides, blood meeting the eye at every turn, none but a deeply-convicted soul, none but a soul really alive to the guilt of a broken law, could enter into the song, and cry with the worshippers, ‘How amiable!’ Even so with a preached Saviour at this day, and a sin-convinced soul!

Those who in recent debates have questioned the doctrine of substitutionary atonement must surely be those who are not deeply-convicted and not alive to the guilt of a broken law. But the blood-drenched floor and blood-spattered walls of tabernacle and temple testify to the depth of our sin and the need for a life to be poured out in exchange for atonement.

But I do not want to finish with the current debates and questions. I want to finish with that image of blood everywhere. It was, no doubt, an horrific sight to the eyes. But to the heart of a deeply-convicted sinner ‘how amiable’ for we see in the blood God’s love, God’s justice, God’s holiness, God’s grace, and God’s welcome.

2008/3/7 6:16Profile
HopeinChrist

Re: Leviticus 7

Sorry, only the second paragraph is Andrew Bonars the other paragraphs are comments by Tim Chester. I was trying without luck to separate the two by using different fonts and posted too soon.
Hope

2008/3/7 6:22Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Leviticus 7

Doesn't matter about the misprint, the message speaks for itself.

Hebrews 9v14, 'how much more shall the blood of Christ...'

The blood of Christ.

And it is because of His blood, and His blood alone, that we have access to God. Through His blood.

God bless.

2008/3/7 7:15Profile

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:
Doesn't matter about the misprint, the message speaks for itself.

Hebrews 9v14, 'how much more shall the blood of Christ...'

The blood of Christ.

And it is because of His blood, and His blood alone, that we have access to God. Through His blood.

God bless.

I would like to post the entirety of Hebrews 19-28 that explains this truth quite well:

Hebrews 9: 19-28

19. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
20. Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
21. Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.

22 [b]. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.[/b]

23. [color=CC0000] It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

24. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

25. Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

26. For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin BY THE SACRIFICE OF HIMSELF.

27. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 28. So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.[/color]

Walter

2008/3/7 11:29

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy