SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 2

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
I have no problems with 'built with', my issue is with 'built on'.

Yeah, I should have put a disclaimer with it. I didn't want to misquote him, and although he was talking about the man, Peter, from my Protestant frame of mind I didn't immediately interpret it that way.

The quote was taken from his book, Heretics, from the chapter devoted to George Bernard Shaw.

2004/6/22 14:49Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

If you want to understand Christianity, do not shut your Bible - open it, read it!
-Martyn Lloyd Jones

2004/6/22 18:24Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

When we become too glib in prayer we are most surely talking to ourselves.

~A. W. Tozer~

2004/6/24 12:00Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

When filled with holy truth the mind rests.
— C.H. Spurgeon

2004/6/28 15:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"IF you want to be the first among your brothers and sisters, then you have to be a bond-slave, not only to Christ, but to your brothers and sisters."
-Stephen Kaung

2004/7/1 19:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Great Quotes 2

"We must frankly face the fact that there is in this teaching a revolutionary element which could be dangerously subversive of our existing ways of thought. Let us admit that it is part of the fallen human nature of ecclesiastics, no less than of others in responsible positions, to desire always criteria of judgement which can be used without making too heavy demands upon the delicate faculty of spiritual discernment, clear-cut rules by which we may hope to be saved from making mistakes -- or rather, from being obviously and personally responsible for the mistakes. We are uncomfortable without definite principles by which we may guide our steps. We fear uncharted country, and the fanatics of all kinds who, upon the alleged authority of the Holy Spirit, summon us with strident cries in all directions simultaneously.
Only those who have never borne the heavy burden of pastoral responsibility will mock at the cautious spirit of the ecclesiastic."

... Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1998), The Household of God
[1953]

http://www.cqod.com/

2004/7/15 1:27Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Some people read their Bible in Hebrew, some in Greek; I like to read mine in the Holy Ghost."
-Smith Wigglesworth

2004/7/15 12:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I am convinced that many evangelicals are not truly and soundly converted. Among the evangelicals it is entirely possible to come into membership, to ooze in by osmosis, to leak through the cells of the church and never know what it means to be born of the Spirit and washed in the blood. A great deal that passes for the deeper life is nothing more or less than basic Christianity. There is nothing deeper about it, and it is where we should have been from the start. We should have been happy, joyous, victorious Christians walking in the Holy Spirit and not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. Instead we have been chasing each other around the perpetual mountain.

What we need is what the old Methodists called a sound conversion. There is a difference between conversion and a sound conversion. People who have never been soundly converted do not have the Spirit to enlighten them. When they read the Sermon on the Mount or the teaching passages of the epistles that tell them how to live or the doctrinal passages that tell how they can live, they are unaffected. The Spirit who wrote them is not witnessing in their hearts because they have not been born of the Spirit. That often happens.

A W Tozer

2004/7/16 5:27Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"No Task will be so sorid and base, provided you obey your calling in it, that it will not shine and be reckoned very precious in God's sight."
-John Calvin

2004/7/16 14:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Lord, make Thyself always present to my mind, and let Thy love fill and rule my soul in all those places, companies and employments to which Thou callest me. Amen"
-John Wesley

2004/7/16 14:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy