Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Matthew2323

Colorado

Movies that Honor the Lord

In the thread about the new film, "Saved", TheophilusMD said,

Quote:
How about doing away with the practice of watching any movie at all except those which are clearly Christian in nature or made by Christians themselves.

With that in mind, what modern films actually honor God? I can think of a few:

The Passion of the Christ
Gods and Generals
Chariots of Fire

Please feel free to add to the list...

2004/6/14 10:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Movies that Honor the Lord

Movies that do not honor the Lord include those with glorified violence, profanity, sexual content, dirty jokes, and any other thing that contradicts the gospel. A Christian should not be entertained by anything that is morally unacceptable.

If you would not do that action, do not sit there and cheer on those who are doing it... even if it is only "pretend."

2004/6/14 12:27Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

How about [i]The Hiding Place[/i] and [i]The Cross and the Switchblade[/i]? There's some movie about Joni Erickson Tada too, but I don't remember the name of it. It's kind of the story of her life and how she became a Christian, I think.

Pretty much every movie out there has a message. I personally believe that there are secular movies out there that [i]do[/i] have good messages. And it is true that you shouldn't be entertained by things that are morally wrong and wouldn't please the Lord.

2004/6/14 13:11Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

I must add the Jesus film is excellent, I watch that one often (by Inspirational Films with Brian Deacon playing Jesus).

2004/6/14 13:54Profile
Rahman

I really enjoyed "TIME CHANGER".

2004/6/15 16:04Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Movies

[url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandtapes/productinfo.asp?number=50793&variation=&aitem=&mitem=&ref=&refpn=]Time Changer[/url]

Great film! Highly recommended!

Here in Phoenix it was available at the local Blockbuster. The young lady at the counter warned my wife and I that this was a "religious" film. My wife said, "You mean Christian? That's why we wanted to see it."

2004/6/15 17:49Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Movies...

Did anyone ever see [url=http://www.toendallwarsmovie.com/]To End All Wars[/url]? Here is part of an Article from World magazine. (If the link doesn't work, go to the homepage to register.) The magazine is like Time or Newsweek, but offers news from a Christian (or sometimes conservative) viewpoint. (They allow you to read the magazine for free, on line, if you register.)

I saw the movie in the theaters. It is really intense. It really let you see the horror of war and the depravity of man and how one Christian tried to cope with the pain.

'R' for redemptive: It is too bad that To End All Wars came out before The Passion of the Christ
By Gene Edward Veith

It is too bad that To End All Wars came out before The Passion of the Christ. Mel Gibson's movie broke through two barriers: getting an independently produced film widely distributed in the nation's movie theaters, and getting Christians to attend an R-rated movie.

The Passion was a high-quality, sophisticated work of art that held nothing back in its depiction of the Christian faith, to the point of being shocking. The same can be said of To End All Wars, but it did it first. After being shown sporadically in selected theaters, but without winning national distribution, To End All Wars is being released on video and DVD on June 15 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Finally, it will be widely available...
[url=http://www.worldmag.com/world/issue/06-19-04/cultural_2.asp]Rest of the article[/url]

[url=http://www.worldmag.com/world/home.asp]World Magazine Homepage[/url]
[url=http://www.toendallwarsmovie.com/]To End All Wars[/url]

2004/6/23 17:28Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

I saw Time Changer last summer...I don't know that too many people of this age can fully appreciate it, since we look for special effects more than plot and storyline nowadays, but B-movie quality aside, it had an incredible storyline. Very interesting concept...what the church does today impacts tomorrow. Showed how the church has become more of a "social clubhouse" than a place of worship.
I especially liked the one scene when the little girl steals from him and he tells her, "Don't you know you shouldn't steal?" Her reply is, "Says who?" before she runs off, and he's left there with the one word, "Jesus."
Great movie.

I also recently saw the 1960s classic The Greatest Story Ever Told...wow, did it blow my expectations out of the water. I heard that Charleton Heston and John Wayne were in it, and I thought to myself "Oh, this is just a pop flick." But every five minutes I heard Scripture...from the narrator, from the lips of the actors. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE MOVIE. My review doesn't do it justice. Simply wow. :-D

2004/6/23 22:48Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Time Changer is very good.

2004/6/24 5:49Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Time Changer is very good.

The thing is that movies are not reality so you sit there for 2 hours forgetting about the world, problems, and other things. I know people that use movies almost like a drug and they are addicted, it soothes them and relaxs them. This is quite alarming in an age where people would rather watch a 2 hour even christian movie but feel out of place reading the word of God for 2 hours or praying for 2 hours.

On another note most of the Christian movies are trying to be evangelistic in hopes of someone watching it and then at 1 or 2 points theres a clear showing of who Jesus is and what He did for us. I truly do believe God uses these things out of His grace and mercy but I am reminded of a quote by keith daniel "You will not win the world by being like the world." And if you think about that quote for awhile its true, when did the church start being acting like the world to get the world into the church. Keith Daniel says in the end you will have Christians who act like the world and feel comfortable to do so. We have set the standard to low in our modern day Christianity so that the worldliness feels at home in Church.

2004/6/24 10:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy