SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : John Gill on Zechariah 8:16-17

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

John Gill on Zechariah 8:16-17

"These [i]are[/i] the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbor; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates: And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbor; and love no false oath: for all these [i]are things[/i] that I hate, saith the LORD."

- Zechariah 8:16-17

The following is taken from John Gill's exposistion of th Entire Bible as it is in e-sword. The entry is from Zechariah 8:16-17.

Zec 8:16 - These are the things that ye shall do,.... Which were duties incumbent on them, and which it became them to perform, under a sense of the favours bestowed on them, to show their gratitude to God, and that they might glorify him:

Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; not using deceit, prevarication, and lying, Eph_4:25 and it becomes every man under the Gospel dispensation, according to the gift he has received, to speak, publish, and declare the truth of the Gospel, to the edification of others:

execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates; that is, execute true judgment, as in Zec_7:9 do justice between man and man, without respect of persons; the issue of which will be peace between the contending parties: and this was to be done in their "gates", because there their courts of judicature were kept.

Zec 8:17 - And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour,.... See Gill on Zec_7:10 hatred without a cause was a governing vice under the second temple, and Jarchi says was the cause of the destruction of it; see Joh_15:25,

and love no false oath; whereby the character and property of a fellow creature are hurt; nor any vain one, which the Jews were addicted to, Mat_5:34,

for all these are things that I hate, saith the Lord; as being contrary to his nature, and to his law; and is a reason why they should be hated and avoided by men.

2008/3/2 13:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy