SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Unity!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Unity!

The problem with the Corinthian church as Paul sated was "Division". I wonder what would happen if the body of Christ were to unite with one purpose, to carry the gospel to the world? (I wonder what would Happen)? If we looked over doctrinal differnces and just had one goal in mind. Is it possible?,or is this just ecumenicism.

2008/2/26 18:11
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Re: Unity!

If that were done with the glory of God being your chief goal...that would be revival...or least lead to it! :-)

In His service,
Steve

2008/2/27 0:12Profile
Lowly

Re:

Where Christ Jesus is on the throne ruling and reigning. Where He is acknowledged as Head, and we all bow before Him allowing the Holy Spirit to lead.
Where we are truly crucified with Christ and we no longer live, but Christ lives in us.
Where we lay down our own interests and reputations, and take on servanthood, pouring ourselves out as a drink offering.
Unless the Lord builds the house we labor in vain.
We are living stones.

In His amazing love,
Lowly
-----------------------------------
Learn of Me I am meek and lowly of heart................

2008/2/27 1:45Profile

To: Chiefofsinners

We will never have unity in the Body of Christ until we are all "in" Christ, and have our new resurrected bodies like that of Christ.

Today, the Church of Laodicea is a picture of our "end time" Church.

Like the church at Sardis, Laodicea had been bitten by the bug of complacency. But this church was also spiritually arrogant in its self-satisfaction. [b]It was the only church about which Christ had nothing good to say.[/b]

The church thought of itself as rich and in need of nothing from Christ. The "wealth" it claimed for itself would, no doubt, be spiritual, though many of the members might have also been materially rich. In any case, what is in view here is Laodicea’s spiritual pride and complacency.

The members needed to buy true riches in the very areas of life where they felt they had no lack. This is explained in metaphorical terms as gold refined in the fire (3:18). Christ is the refiner of the human soul, which he purifies as the refiner does gold (Malachi 3:3). What needed refining was Laodicea’s faith so that it would become genuine (1 Peter 1:7).

Laodicea also needed white clothes to cover its spiritual nakedness (3:18). White garments are used as a symbol of righteousness throughout Revelation (3:4, 5; 4:4; 6:11; 7:9, 13-14; 19:14). They also represent the proper apparel to wear at important festivities. [b]The church cannot gain the righteousness of Christ through its own effort.[/b] The white garments are spoken of as given to the saints (6:11; 19:8). They are made white by being washed in the justifying red blood of the Lamb (7:14).[b] Without the white garments of righteousness, the church is spiritually naked. Nakedness is a symbol of spiritual shame and worthlessness (Ezekiel 16:35; 2 Corinthians 5:3).[/b]

The Laodicean church was spiritually blind. Of course, its members thought they could see clearly – thought that they were rich and without any needs. But Christ counseled them to apply a spiritual eye-salve so that they could see how far they had fallen. [b]In short, they needed to be earnest and repent (3:19).[/]

Laodicea’s spiritual works are said to be neither cold nor hot (3:15-16). This probably refers to the various kinds of water supply available in Laodicea and two nearby cities, Hierapolis and Colossae. Hierapolis was the site of hot, spa-like waters, used for medicinal purposes. Nearby Colossae was known for its cold and pure drinking water. But the waters of Laodicea were considered nauseous and undrinkable, not useful for any meaningful purpose.[b] Like the city’s water supply, the church is useless in its service to the Lord, and Christ is about to spit it from his mouth.[/b]

The majority of the Christian Church today, except in China and other areas of severe persecution throughout the world, is summarized here:

[b]The church does not show forth the power of Christ and the Holy Spirit. The metaphor of the water supply says not so much that the church is half-hearted, but that its works are barren of God’s power. The church reflected human ways and aspirations, not Christ’s. It was far from the living water it desperately needed from him (John 4:10-14; 7:38-39).[/b]

I really can't see any type of revival coming until all of us become "the people of the Book" (like the early believers were called). By disconnecting our Televisions, and reading and studying God's Word each morning and night, and in the process internalizing His word, and thus moving his Word from our brain to our hearts, will we see any type of break through. This has to be done individually. Part of this process is also the study and the understanding of "Doctrine", not the elimination of it (that seems to be so popular today).

2 Timothy 2:15.[b]Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.[/b]16. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18.[b] Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.[/b]
19. Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20. But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
22. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
23. But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25. In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26. And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Sincerely,

Walter

2008/2/27 2:02
destinysweet

Re:

Unity is important and we can disagree when we see something that differs in reasoning or thought to what we have been given..When it is not clearly revealed in the Word.I am praying for the skills in doing this..so that we are all edified..inspired..but not wounded by one another..there is enough cruelty in the world without our adding to each other's distress..Heaven forbid!

I can see all 7 of the types of churches represented in John's vision in the book of Revelation today..I've heard that view ( the Laodecian)point being asserted at the exclusion of all the others but I can see aspects of each one, the praises and the warnings in my own life over the years..different ones at different times..different fellowships/branches.Some palces are like the one ..some are like the other..for real..I am sharing this perspective also.

Sometimes it can be so discourageing..this problem of division..we have the problem up so close to our eye..like that penny that blocks the view of all else..until we pull it away and it appears only a small object..perpsective restored.I'm going to choose to believe what God said..He would present to Himself a spotless bride..The burden is his..He has been bearing it for me for so long and I recently took it up again..no kidding you'd have thought I'd learned better..It came up for review and I flunked the test..took offense at someone else who was causing offense and got entangled..blinded..but there were some hurts so God allowed them to rise to the surface to be seen and healed. He works all things for the good for us who love Him( and each other) and are called according to His purpose.

I think I become more seperate or divided from the larger body as a whole..when I begin to focus too intently on where others err,developing a wrong attitude..especially if I do not realize that if I can see it..especially when it comes to attitude..it is probably in me too..but if I do not cover it with prayer ..and seek to expose it openly first impatiently, then I am creating antagonism and breaking a bond of peace when it wasn't expediant..I may have that liberty ..I may think I do..God may have dealt with it in the person completely and you are still holding a grudge..not allowing them to grow and be who they really are..but it is in your own mind..and so you become out of sync..and it becomes obvious to all eventually.

Jesus said that we will be judged for every word..He has shown me our thoughts and intents preceed the words coming out or written, seen ,heard by others..this will cause division..splintering of trust and much more.

My prayer is that when I share what is on my heart..and God is able to show me my attitude is still too defensive or intense..even in regards to doctrin that may be super important..thta He will as He is able to convict my heart without anyone else's interference..may I trust him to straighten that up inside me//refining me and yet continue to stand ,without creating more division..exort,edify,equip and rebuke when necessary..agree whenever possible..instead of trying to find the one thing we suspect the other person of..our own private thoughts on them when they share..they are not meek enough..they are (fill in the blank) but to take account of what is being laid forth.whether it is true or not..does it inform..does it encourage..is it edifying.is it a warning that bears hearing..and so on.. if so..not to muddy the waters with little jabs that go off the course..take away from the truth shared..this is distraction..subterfuge..unworthy of Christ's followers.

If there is a mistake in what they are saying and you catch it..do not attack their character for saying what God has had them say...how do you know that the Lord has not directed that person to speak it ..and in that manner..you do not. We must become more humble then in our correcting one another..We don't want to catch correctionitis..it's a bad virus going round. It is far more challenging to lift someone up who is on the right course than to slam them for petty or imagined offences.Love covers a multitude of sins..let us all be more willing stop before we do these things and reconsider..pray..and don't say if it isn't necessary.

God help me from becoming addicted to being the know-it-all censor of people's convictions or lack of convictions..the perfect attitude police..sorry..I'm going to have to give you a citation.. you were too zealous there,too firey..forget that I am not adding a thing when it comes to actually commenting on the point you are making. My mother used to say..if you can't say something nice..that's right..maybe don't say it at all..pray it..see how it feels saying it to God the same way you were feelin it towards the other person.

Though I am not addresing anyone in particular..just the spirit of this sort of thing ..that can be sensed often enough..when we make a stand here we will become more useful for the kingdom..may it be so.We need to sweat to resist this subtle but insidious thing. Becoming more accountable before God in this place

It's not too hard to see that I am not the only one who could use a little spit and polish when it comes to communication skills..our own spit and our own polish on our own stuff..we are not each other's personal Holy Spirit..I think alot of folks who are believing themselves to be righteous watchmen are mostly loud territorial watchdogs..lot's of noise..but on a short chain..may we be loosed from the chains that bind us..whatever may be there..we are to be bound together with chords of love..not kept back by chains..may we all continue to seek the highest loveAgape love..commit ourselves anew everymorning..I will walk in this highest love ..and you will show me Holy Sprit why I am unable to do so consistently..then we will see more unity..this is what we all long for I am certain of it.

Praise God who causes us to truimph through it all..so be of good cheer little flock, He has overcome the world.

2008/2/29 20:01Profile

Quote:

chiefosiners wrote:
The problem with the Corinthian church as Paul sated was "Division". I wonder what would happen if the body of Christ were to unite with one purpose, to carry the gospel to the world? (I wonder what would Happen)? If we looked over doctrinal differnces and just had one goal in mind. Is it possible?,or is this just ecumenicism.

Hi Chief

What is the basis of our unity? Yes, Jesus, as someone has said, is the one Foundation for our faith; but what specifically concerning Him is the basis?

Jesus prayed for His disciples in John 17. Among other things He prayed for their unity.

So this prayer should tell us what true Christian unity is based on.

If there is unity on any other basis it is false unity.

It also says in 1John 1:
[color=990000] 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.[/color]

I think that’s all I should post for the moment. We cannot have unity on any lesser basis.

In Him

Jeannette

2008/3/1 15:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy