SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : More than perfection???

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

More than perfection???

The whole of the Sermon on the Mount is the context of the first quote.

This is relevant to a current thread, but I wanted to take a fresh look from a different angle, bringing in the question of what exactly [i]is[/i] true righteousness?

And why did Paul have to "throw away" his religious credentials, including his faultless keeping of the "righteousness which is of the law", in order to "gain Christ".

Obviously, Paul couldn't have been advocating [i][b]un[/b][/i]rightousness!

Matthew 5:
[color=000000]20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven...

...48 You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.[/color]

Phillipians 3 (my emphasis):
[color=000000]...4 Though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If any other man thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law a Pharisee, 6 as to zeal a persecutor of the church, [i][b]as to righteousness under the law blameless[/b][/i]. 7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, based on law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith; 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.[/color]
(Revised Standard Version)

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/2/26 9:55
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: More than perfection???

True righteousness and justification is having the Faith of Jesus Christ in us and depending on that righteousness and not my own. Making us perfect in Christ Jesus that we might in our soul-minds renew them by the Holy Spirit teaching to the mind of Christ. Our spirits cleansed from all unrighteousness by the Christ that is born again in us.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

1 Corinthians 1:29-31 That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Christ is our righteousness before God. No man can boast in his own righteousness. Our Glory is in the Lord and His righteousness that is in us, this is what the Father sees when He is dealing with us, which is the mystery of Christ in us.

Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/2/27 12:49Profile

Re:

Thank you Phillip, that ws the sort of response I was hoping for! :-D

2008/2/27 12:57
destinysweet

Re:

I believe the being like Him in his death is where the rubber meets the road..bearing our burden of sin and forgiving us all..Awesome God! Perfect Love..become perfected in us according to your will,O God!

2008/2/27 15:50Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: More than perfection???

Christ has fulfilled all righteousness, His
sacrifice was perfect and approved by God;
and we are complete in Him!!

2008/2/27 17:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy