SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What do you do if you cannot find a good bible teaching church? Settle for a seeker type church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
yulandop

Texas

What do you do if you cannot find a good bible teaching church? Settle for a seeker type church?

I have had a hard time finding a church. All of the churches I have visited have been compromising, no focus on Jesus, no prayer meetings, no preaching on sin, or convicting sermons. I just cant take the searching process.
A couple invited me out to lunch from a church that i had recently visited. They said they noticed i had been coming a few Sundays and asked me if I was considering membership.

It took so much to hold back what i really felt about this church, but I told them. I had visited their church about four times, not once have I heard anything mentioned about sin, the Holy Spirit, Holy Living, Ministering to the poor, salvation. Nothing. I told them that I was looking for God in the church, but I have yet to see him. I do find Mass marketing techniques, spiritual cliche's many financialy secure people. Heck the pastor even mentioned that if the congregation tops 4000 people on easter he and his staff would ride a bull.
I wanted to tell them that I just cannot stomach all of the foolishness that goes on in the church, but i did not want to offend. I find this in Many if not all of the churches I have visited. Just a bunch of Gimmicks. The music is good, but that is only to draw people in to a false sense of spirituality. They even had survey cards passed out to evaluate what you like best about the church. Pastor David Wilkerson spoke of this years ago. It is so disheartening.

I was wondering if anyone else has this same challenge and what do you do in the meantime.

Yul

2008/2/25 10:36Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: What do you do if you cannot find a good bible teaching church? Settle for a seek

Hello Yul...

Do you live in a rural community? If so, why not start your own Bible study? You could invite other believers that you have met and discuss passages from the Word of God. If you are in need of a strong message, you could play sermons from SermonIndex. I've had Bible studies in my college dorm where I actually played messages from Leonard Ravenhill, Wilkerson, etc... and even pushed "pause" sometimes for discussion. Eventually, such a fellowship has the potential to turn into a "house church" similar to those spoken of by brother Krispy here in the forums and what is mentioned in the books of Acts. Remember, there were no temples in the New Testament. Believers often met in one another's homes where they shared bread and the Bread of Life.

Do you live in (or near) a larger community? You might try searching just a little more intently. I've seen some wonderful congregations that weren't included in the phone book under "churches" (although that is a nice place to search). In fact, the congregation with which I fellowship now is not listed in the phone book. The church is extremely small (under 80 people), but it is quite refreshing. There aren't any world promotions, special "Sundays" or offering drives. The pastor even works full time as a nurse (while his wife is a school teacher). The church doesn't have a single full-time employee. But it is amazing to feel so relaxed amongst the people of God! The youth go to summer camp in August. The theme? "Is what you're living for worth Christ dying for?" (the epitaph of Leonard Ravenhill). They even made special t-shirts with that phrase.

Yul, I will be praying for your search. I think that we can all identify with your plight. There is certainly a famine in the land in regard to the sure Word of the Lord. But take heart: God has reserved for Himself a people who have not bowed their knees to Baal or this modern Gospel of "fluff."

May the Lord lead you to green pastures and still waters.

:-)

2008/2/25 11:11Profile
AWA40-2

Re: I don't know HOW to start a post.

Quote:
"Mind not High Things"

We can understand how a man gifted with wisdom would write about great and lofty things; but God would show us that men of wisdom are concerned also about little things. It reminds us of Paul's admonition: "Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate," (Romans 12:16).

Much reference is made in Scripture to both the Cedar and the Hyssop; but whereas the Cedar speaks of stature and honour and glory, the Hyssop always relates to sacrifice... and therefore to humility, weakness and contrition of heart. Other than this I knew nothing about the plant itself. But after having been impressed to minister on the "hyssop" relative to its weakness and sacrificial character, I felt to put it in writing; and I have since looked up a number of reference books concerning it. I found it grows in dry places, out in the full sun. It is particularly suited to a rockery, and this may be inferred in the statement that it "springeth out of the wall"--perhaps a terraced rock wall. It is low-growing, up to about 2 feet. It is native to Egypt. It has strong wiry stems, with bunches of flowers and leaves. Produces small bluish-purple flowers, and has a sweet fragrance. It is a bitter herb, belonging to the mint family, and was once used for medicinal purposes. It seemed to grow plentifully in Egypt, for on the Passover night it was readily obtainable to every Israelitish family, who would use it for the sprinkling of the blood. It was used for various sacrificial purposes in the Levitical order, and therefore must have grown extensively in the wilderness also. It is always associated with "sacrifice"... so that even at Calvary, when the supreme Sacrifice was being offered, mention is again made of the lowly "hyssop."

Solomon, a great and Wise man, was impressed to write about the weak, insignificant "hyssop." Great men are always small enough to take note of little things. They are concerned about the weak. Jesus stood still at the cry of a blind beggar. True greatness reveals itself in areas of meekness, mercy, compassion and forgiveness. The world considers a meek man to be a weak man. But God considers the meek to be strong. They shall inherit the earth; because in their meekness and weakness, their confidence is not in themselves but in Another. The weak must assume an attitude of defensiveness; but the strong are prepared to let the Truth defend itself. So when the weak assume positions of power and authority, as is often the case, they must use that power and authority to bolster their own inadequacy. The meek are strong, because they are prepared to commit their cause into the hands of God who judgeth righteously.

As I ministered about the hyssop I could not help but think of our own little fellowship. It seems so fragile. What is it that keeps us gathering together week after week? Just a handful of us... but we will travel 30, 50, 70 or a 100 miles a week just to gather with a handful of people in someone's home. But when you come to know God's ways a little, what does it matter whether there be 20 or 30 people, or 1,000? God can use 20 as well as 2,000... 1 as well as 10,000. It doesn't really matter, as long as we are faithful; and as long as God is directing us in this way. But how strange this may sound to those who have not known God's ways?

How long will we continue to gather in this manner? We certainly do not know; for we have no plans to fulfill of our own. And we are reminded that the precious "hyssop" having served its purpose was thrown away! Precious as it is in the eyes of the Lord, it was made for sacrifice. And every sacrifice that delights the heart of God requires it. God has therefore put it within the reach of all. It grows there at our feet, lightly esteemed by most... but prepared of the Lord for sacrifice... a certain kind of sacrifice: the sacrifice of a broken spirit and a contrite heart. It is not something beyond our reach. The elders of Israel had no problem finding it... apparently it was right outside their doors, and when the blood had to be sprinkled on the doorposts, the hyssop was readily obtained. When the last Passover Lamb was offered, hyssop was there too, and readily obtainable. When Jesus cried "I thirst," a soldier bunched some hyssop together and lifted it to Jesus' mouth with a sponge full of sour wine. He must use hyssop to fulfill the Scriptures, and God had provided it even on Mount Calvary! Then it was discarded... it had served its purpose.

But what waste? And to what purpose is this waste?

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it" (Matthew 16:24, 25).

[color=000099]Let us consider this when we go about our lives, Day by Day….for our lives ought to be a living sacrifice[/color]

2008/2/25 11:49Profile
AWA40-2

Re:

Quote:
Solomon, a great and Wise man, was impressed to write about the weak, insignificant "hyssop." Great men are always small enough to take note of little things. They are concerned about the weak. Jesus stood still at the cry of a blind beggar. True greatness reveals itself in areas of meekness, mercy, compassion and forgiveness. The world considers a meek man to be a weak man. But God considers the meek to be strong. They shall inherit the earth; because in their meekness and weakness, their confidence is not in themselves but in Another. The weak must assume an attitude of defensiveness; but the strong are prepared to let the Truth defend itself. So when the weak assume positions of power and authority, as is often the case, they must use that power and authority to bolster their own inadequacy. The meek are strong, because they are prepared to commit their cause into the hands of God who judgeth righteously.

[color=000099]To be meek does not mean to be complacent, for the writer here describes it as Strength. Let us be careful when we speak our words that they may line up with our Spirit.[/color]

2008/2/25 11:51Profile

Re:

Travel as far as necessary. Move if you have to. It's that important.

To me it's the same as asking "should I then go to a Mormon Church, or a JW Church?"

No. If you sit under any bad teaching for any length of time it will only serve to undermine the sound teaching you received else where... and you will compromise.

Krispy

2008/2/25 13:08

Re:

Quote:
Travel as far as necessary. Move if you have to. It's that important.

I agree!

However, there is a place where believers do meet in homes. Stay clear from "program" house meetings that are called "Seeker Sensitive" or the "Government of Twelve".

There are people just like you that have no place to fellowship, instead they meet in homes. How do you find them? Pray that the LORD will lead you to one, and then ask when the opportunity presents itself.

2008/2/25 13:19
roadsign

Re: For those who want more Bible teaching

Try this website. It is totally amazing! You will never run out of good Bible teaching material here - covering content for new believers to Seminary level training. .. and quality lecturers!

And it's all free! You can even set up your own class in this cyberschool.

[url=http://www.biblicaltraining.org/index.php]Biblical Training [/url]

Diane

2008/2/25 13:33Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

"OR" stay and pray and be a part of the change that God might be about to do at your Church. Why in the world can't we stand in faith that God may want to make a change right were we are? But if we all just pack up and run what every time "because the next Church will have issues also" what kind of warriors do that? Apparently the ones that have no calling to Pray for a change right were they are and the courage and faith be obedient to what God is telling them to do and not man, JMO.

2008/2/25 14:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
"OR" stay and pray and be a part of the change that God might be about to do at your Church.

Problem with this is that we are never once told that we should stay in a apostate church in the NT. Instead, we are commanded to "be ye seperate". This is for our own spiritual welfare.

If a church has gone off the tracks, and not interested in turning around, we are commanded to seperate.

Krispy

2008/2/25 14:32
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

If a church has gone off the tracks, and not interested in turning around, we are commanded to seperate.

Krispy

How long do we give them to become interested is that in the Bible? Or do we wait until God calls us out or man? Personally I will go with God calling me out. :-)

2008/2/25 14:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy