Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I wish I had known

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

I wish I had known

May I share something that I can't get off my mind?

We've all heard people say things like, "If I knew then what I know now, I would have...." I'm hearing this a lot lately. A lot. And I don't believe it's coincidence.

Even in Christian circles I hear, "I'd hate to be in heaven and look back at my life on earth and think, 'Boy, I wish I would have done... or I wish I would have known....'"

These things are usually accompanied with different actions they would have taken or different words or attitudes they would have had; or that they would wish they'd have had more boldness for Jesus.

But that's it. They're done. The thought stops there, unfinished. The conversation fades and the topic is changed. Thanks for shopping our K-Mart.

In my mind I'm thinking, "What? How can you stop there and not let this important thought process continue so it can lead to a potentially life-changing decision?"

If you're pondering your life in eternity, while your still here on earth, and you say, "I'd hate to be in heaven one day, thinking back on my life and wish I'd had more boldness for Christ." Then you are missing the whole point and opportunity to actually start acting with more boldness now!

Or, this one: "If I knew I had a week before Christ's return, I would.... (fill in the blank)." I hear people pondering these things without carrying their thoughts through. We [i]know[/i] Jesus is returning soon and we [i]know[/i] we're supposed to live each day prepared, so [i]why don't we live the way we know we should be living so we can be sure not to have this 'I wish I had known...' regret later on?[/i]

This is that moment of clarity, saints. In a sense, we [i]do[/i] already know [i]now[/i] what we'd wish we would have known or done "then." [i]This[/i] is our opportunity to conquer regrets [i]before[/i] they happen! Right now!

How would you answer the following?

[b]"When I'm living with Jesus in eternity, seeing all that the Father provided for us and look back at my life on earth, I'll know that everything I went through was nothing compared to this new life in eternity! If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have ___[u](fill in the blank)[/u]___ while I was on the earth!"[/b]

Prayed more?
Read the Word more?
Been kinder to everyone?
Been more careful with my words?
Set aside foolish things and press into Him?
Not cared so much about...?
Gotten rid of my television?
Witnessed more?
Been more bold with people?
Had more patience?
Been more giving?
Given up
Not cared what other people think?
Argued less?
Loved more?
Cared less about my reputation?
Listened more to my inner promptings?
Worshipped more?
Laid aside every weight?
Put a watch on my attitude?
Analyzed less and acted more?
Slept less?
Fasted more?
Wept for revival?
Wept over my sins?
Memorized more scripture?
Resolved that my only motive would be to glorify the Father?
Taught my children better?
Loved my spouse better?
Fulfilled the call God placed on my life?
Honored God more?
Trusted God more?
Had more faith?
Been more discerning?
Made better decisions?
Been a better steward of....?
Not gone into debt?
Paid off my debt?
Made my time with God my top priority?
Had more family time in the Word?
Done what I knew to do?
Obeyed the scriptures?
Feared and reverenced the Lord more?
Not spoken so many idle words?
Apologized more?
Repented more?
Spent so much time worrying?
Spent so much time working for things that didn't matter?
Sought wisdom?
Gotten serious about my sin?
All of the above and more?

Right [i]now[/i] is the moment of decision, saints.

2008/2/21 20:36Profile

Re: I wish I had known

Your not even going to care Brother. Because once you see Him, all our "I wish I had of done more" will be gone, because He did it all.

2008/2/21 20:57
notmyown

Reminds me of a phrase from Leonard Ravenhill:

'Look at all the riches there were available in Christ Jesus and I've come to the throne a spiritual pauper.'

2008/2/22 1:48Profile

Re: "Walk in the Spirit"

I gather from the Word that we're not to be autonomous. That we're to be dependent on The Holy Spirit for our thoughts and actions. Hearing the Voice of the Spirit of Jesus - The Shepherd and following. 'Thinking' what He puts in our minds, as we lean on Him - moment by moment -- fully dependent on Him - as a little child. Looking up, of our own free volition, for Him to speak, in our inner man.
To follow a list is trying to please Him by ourselves. "Without Me you can do nothing".
The only "good intention" that He honors, is learning His 'Voice'. His direction, His leading, His counsel, His thoughts and so forth - moment by moment -- as He did, while on the earth. He waited on the Father to give Him the words to speak, and works He did. Never autonomously, for our example.

What do you think?

2008/2/22 7:16
MSeaman

Michigan

You are absolutely correct. Now is the moment to decide and act. People act as if tomorrow will always come, but the Word says our days are numbered. We need to get a realisation that we may not have the next moment to do the things we know we should.

Great post.

2008/2/22 8:54Profile

We will wish we had known that we were supposed to "walk as He walked" - "in solely His Spirit - for moment to moment direction and to be taught of Him.

"Spirit and Truth"

We've become autonomous and that is why the Church is either lazy or self-righteous.

Lord help us to understand your words. Help us to hear. Only then will You be pleased - that if we walked as you walked - dependent on The Holy Spirit for every move - then not one minute of our lives would be spent on SELF and would lack that pride that comes from doing it "our way". We wonder why we don't get that much out of our prayer time or Bible reading or evangelism ---- It's because The SPIRIT is not working through us and we're doing it on our own.

Lean not to your own understanding, but in All your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

So no man can glory before God.

As children, we were taught that, before we cross the street, that we should "Stop - Look and Listen". That is what God requires of us.
It can become natural to us, if we'd just shut down our autonomy.

Reading Galatians and Romans properly, we see that "a legalist" is one who follows the law in their own flesh and not by walking in His power/Spirit. Read the book of Acts. They moved in the Spirit - as Jesus taught them to.

The Spirit fulfills the law and has a much longer list then we could ever conceive of - it is the "being conformed into the actual image of Christ."

If we don't learn His Voice now - we won't make it through as victorious overcomers. We throw our crowns down at His feet, because we will know it was Him working through us. He just wanted us to die to self and LISTEN TO HIS VOICE AND FOLLOW.

As He was in the world - so should we be.

That list is a piece of cake. The Holy Spirit has that list covered plus an infinite length longer.

When we "hear" Him and "follow" - minute by minute 24/7 - then and only then can we say we've attained.

Dying to self is not just following a list.

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

HE being given free reign in our lives will make us do nothing but fulfill that list PLUS anything more - which would be an aweful lot more - "To Be Like Him" and not just imitate Him. Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

We need more teaching on "walking in His Spirit".

Walking in the flesh is Not just what we think as 'sinning'. It is walking autonomous of His Voice/Spirit/Leading.

It is so very drastically different than following a list on our own - in and of our own strength by what we 'think' we should be doing at any given moment. He transcends our ideas of "what we think we should be doing" - HE wants control of our thoughts, so we can be vessels for His use. Holy is "seperated unto holy use."
The vessel has nothing in itself - only the Hand using it makes it useful.
It is being led by His Spirit in ALL things.

Such as, who to speak to and when and what to say and to even know, by His gifts, what their needs are, that they aren't even aware of.
Do I pray now, or is the Holy Spirit trying to get my attention to call someone? "Listening to Him" is what "walking in dependence on the Spirit is" - Just as HE did - as our example - though He was GOD - He became man to teach us 100% dependence on His leading/Voice.

It's hearing Him say - put that book down and go look out the front window. Just in time to save your neighbors child from a stranger.

On and on and on it goes. But no - we dwell on our "own" thoughts and not trying to learn His.

If we're following lists - we'd never hear these leadings. We'd be fulfilling that list and so far beyond that list - that we'd be as He was in this world.

I sorrow that the Church has lost the teaching of leaning whole heartedly on His voice/Spirit and just add more and more to those things that will be burnt up when He comes. "wood, hay and stubble" are the works we do in the flesh. Not the Spirit of the law but back to the letter.

People fear throwing confidence in their own flesh away, because it robs their own glory.

Maybe this short clip by Bro. Daniel will bring more clarity.

[i]" I am somewhat alarmed. I have become so busy. I wonder how much of God’s will I am missing? How much of my leading is according to the mind of God? I was encouraged by what a brother told me recently. He had to travel to speak at some meetings. I had asked him to go by Express train. Suddenly, I called him that afternoon and said, "Change your ticket and go by the passenger train." He just obeyed. Of course he could not understand the rationale behind what I said. When the train reached a certain area, he saw the Express train was derailed and all the people in it were shaken up. They were all rushing into his train. He was comfortably lying on the top berth. Even in little things, we should be led by God. Are we blundering around, because of the pressures today? This is a big question to me. This is a sad question. Are we still crying out, "Abba Father, the glory I am bringing to You is too small. I am not being led by Your Spirit in every little thing." [/i]

2008/2/22 9:41
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:

HE_Reigns wrote:
I gather from the Word that we're not to be autonomous. That we're to be dependent on The Holy Spirit for our thoughts and actions. Hearing the Voice of the Spirit of Jesus - The Shepherd and following. 'Thinking' what He puts in our minds, as we lean on Him - moment by moment -- fully dependent on Him - as a little child. Looking up, of our own free volition, for Him to speak, in our inner man.
To follow a list is trying to please Him by ourselves. "Without Me you can do nothing".
The only "good intention" that He honors, is learning His 'Voice'. His direction, His leading, His counsel, His thoughts and so forth - moment by moment -- as He did, while on the earth. He waited on the Father to give Him the words to speak, and works He did. Never autonomously, for our example.

What do you think?

I understand where you're coming from sister. You make some wonderful points. Perhaps I was too vague? By posing the questions I did, I wasn't intending to create a list of things people should live by. We have the scriptures for that, thank heavens! I only wanted to show some examples of things people are already thinking about, that they would like to be freed from or do differently. This post is a way to see it from a different angle. An eternal one.

The idea behind the post is to have people take pause, even if only for a moment, and think about eternity and what it will be like with Jesus! If we're able to look back at the lives we lived on the earth, surely we'll think about how we wish we would have done things differently "if we'd only known." This is just an opportunity to do something about that question [u]right now[/u], [i]while we [u]do[/u] have the opportunity to make changes in our lives.[/i]

We already know [i]what[/i] we would like to do differently. This is the presentment of an opportunity to perhaps see things from a different angle to help us make efforts towards those changes we already want to make - by seeing them from an eternal perspective. Us. In eternity, with the fullness of the Father before us. In absolute awe! Suddenly, we have a thought about how we wish we would have done things differently for our magnificent Creator! Just pondering that scenario now - even if it never happens - is an opportunity [i]now[/i] to be more proactive in making the changes in our lives that we would all like to make.

Forgive me if I'm not explaining this well. I have an idea that I'm not. It's just that I've been running into random people talking about this question, in one form or another, and I can't shake the thought of it.

2008/2/22 10:14Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
People act as if tomorrow will always come, but the Word says our days are numbered. We need to get a realisation that we may not have the next moment to do the things we know we should.

Great post.

This says in a much better way, and with much fewer words, the idea I was trying to get across. Bless you, brother!

Please forgive me, saints, for my wordy posts. They aren't intentional and they do grieve me. I will pray to do better.

2008/2/22 10:17Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:

notmyown wrote:
Reminds me of a phrase from Leonard Ravenhill:

'Look at all the riches there were available in Christ Jesus and I've come to the throne a spiritual pauper.'

Sometimes I wonder if all of these gems from brother Ravenhill are because he didn't speak nearly as many idle words as I do? Thank you for sharing another of his quotes. I never, ever tire of them.

2008/2/22 10:20Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if all of these gems from brother Ravenhill are because he didn't speak nearly as many idle words as I do? Thank you for sharing another of his quotes. I never, ever tire of them.

Leonard Ravenhill spoke plenty of words. He had a lot of years to refine his thoughts and he learned to put them to words well. We also “cherry pick” his sermons, teachings, and books, looking for the gems. This is not to come against brother Ravenhill…he did have a way with words, but I hope you get my point. He also had a few more years of close intimacy with the Lord under his belt than do many. His words do inspire.

I enjoy your posts brother. I like seeing your thoughts unfold.

2008/2/22 11:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy