SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : My Dog Died Today

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

My Dog Died Today

Today my dog died(Sat 16th of Feb, 2008) I studied theology in Bible School so I can safely say I have no Scripture to support my notion that I will meet my dog again one day

Callie was an eleven year old Golden Lab. She was an enormous blessing to our family and never, not once, did she bear her teeth or even snap at anyone.

She would lie at my feet and rest her head on my foot. I would go to the bathroom and when I got out, she would be there. She had a very comfortable bed downstairs but most nights she slept outside our room.

About a year ago her back legs started to go. We put her on a certain drug and it really helped for a while. Then several months ago she developed a lump on her front right leg. After tests it was determined to be cancer.

The vet said that the only solution was to amputate, but given the condition of her back legs, it was not really viable. So the lump grew rapidly until it was the size of a watermelon.

She was never in any pain, and her never ending tail continued wagging as it always had. She now went into the front yard to go to the bathroom, as she could not make the stairs at the back. Eventually she needed help getting up the front two steps.

This last week she lost interest in food. Not usual for Callie at all. I knew the time was very near to make the call. I made the decision on Friday and we called the vet to set up the appointment.

On Friday evening I took her out into the front yard for the last time. As I stood on the porch, she hobbled over to the paper that was in the driveway. Did I mention that my dog was the smartest dog in the sub-division? The envy of all the other men as she would collect my
paper?

Even in this state she was still doing her best to serve me, her master. As I stood there shedding a few tears, I realized what an example my dog was for me as a Christian. She was loyal to a fault. Even in her weakened state, her priority was to serve me and to please me.

I prayed to the Lord and shared with Him that I hoped that I would be that loyal to him, right up until the end. That I would try and please him all the days of my life and serve Him with my last breath.

I could not sleep Friday evening. I got up at 2.30 and did some things on the computer, then went back to my restless sleep.

Saturday came. With difficulty my oldest son and I got her in the back of the car. We arrived at the vets office and they had a room, with a sofa and some things in it. It was not a clinical room.

Callie started to breathe heavily, somehow she sensed what was coming. I had so many conflicting emotions as I calmed her. Was I making the right decision? Was it too early? Should I not wait another couple of weeks?

She was given the sedative, at my feet. And slowly, very slowly, slower than they had said, she lowered her head and it came to rest on my foot. She died in her favorite position, her head on my foot.

I can only wish that when my time comes to leave this earth, that I will be found at my own masters feet, loyal to the end. Callie’s tail was still wagging(her tail wagged right up until she lowered her head)

That should be the end of Callie’s story. We drove home, my son and I , silently. I got home about thirty minutes later. I made some calls and about an hour after she died I called one of my best friends, a great Christian brother.

As I was talking to him I looked at my front door. Incredibly, there at my front door was a Golden Lab, just sitting there. I told my buddy I would call him back.

I opened the door and in bounded this young Golden Lab,maybe about six years old.It ran right past me and ran around sniffing everything. I got a hold of his collar, he was young and strong, I could feel his strength.

His name was lucky and I called the number on his tag. A man answered and I told him that I had his dog in my living room. He was surprised, he did not even know his dog was gone and said that the kids must have left the gate open.

He came over about five minutes later and collected his dog. I told him our dog had just died about an hour before, kinda freaked him out a bit. He thanked and called his dog to come. The dog did not want to leave and he was somewhat embarrassed that he had to tease the dog out the door.

He told me that he lived three streets away and that his dog had got out before, but had never ventured past the street. So in order for the dog to be sitting on my porch, he had to make a left, go down two streets, another left, then a right into our cul-de sac.

We live at the very end of a deep cul-de-sac, where there are three houses, twelve houses in total in our cul-de sac. As I sat and thought about the odds of this dog ending up at my porch, a small still voice spoke into my spirit”Frank, you made the right descision.”

Well, I wept and then I wept and then I wept some more. The God of all creation, had brought a very healthy Golden Lab, to my very door to remind me what healthy dog hould look like. Callie had been sick for so long I had forgotten.

Yes, this God of all creation cares about the smallest aspects of our lives. He knew my pain, He knew my doubt about having done the right thing, and he caused this small miracle to allieve my suffering.

Is it possible that I love Him even more now? Yes a mighty God, Creator of all things big and small. So vast in his glory and splendour, so all consuming, so majestic, so loving of His people. He knows every hair of our head, He cares about the smallest details of our lives, He is glorious and I praise His name this day…………..Frank

http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com

2008/2/18 15:28
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: My Dog Died Today

Brother I am sorry to hear about this. As a fellow animal lover, I wonder at times about animals and their purpose in our lives.

I know that there are times where my cat can bring me such joy when I am feeling down.

God has given us animals, for what purpose I do not know.

2008/2/18 15:45Profile
repentcanada

Re:

God bless you Apollus

2008/2/18 16:02Profile
JennRich

Alabama

I know your pain; may God comfort you.

As for dogs being in heaven -- I don't presume to say whether they are or not, but I do know that they don't have the same plight as human beings. They're not sinners! People are the ones who are sinful, not animals.

2008/2/18 16:06Profile

Oh Brother, you did it this time. I have to "not cry" because I haven't much of an immune system at all and just crying sends my temp up, plus.

What an incredible yet true story. How GOD uses creation to Bless us. I can testify to that completely. Have many stories and one similar to yours about a cat that acted more like a dog in protecting me.
When I'm bedridden, the cats that seldom come into my room at all, will come and sleep all around me.

I tried not to cry with your story - but fighting tears actually hurts and I couldn't keep them back by half way through.

Yes, I DO believe we'll see our pets again. I don't think GOD "wastes anything". Their spirits return to the dirt but I think God will rejoin us in the new earth. We know there will be animals in the new earth - so if GOD creates Everything - why would He create a whole new bunch? Just seems feasible to me that He'd not waste the blessings He's given us on earth, but may instead increase our joy with reunion. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, what God hath prepared for His people."

Dumb belief huh ?

Well, I got it after the death of one of my favorites years ago from Romans 8.

Rom 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Rom 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
Rom 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
Rom 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Wouldn't seem to make contextual sense if they just die and that's it.

Call me a heretic on this one - but I'll still believe a loving GOD cares even about these little things.

Luk 12:6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?

Mat 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

GOD Bless you Frank and others.

edited twice to finish thought. Thank you!

2008/2/18 16:12

Brother Frank, you story is awesome. And I think we'll see animals there. John saw a Lamb as if it were slain. I want to see my Black Lab "Rex" one day, he was such a good dog, loyal to me when I was a kid.

*whisper* he was the best pet ever, (don't want the cat to hear) :-D

2008/2/18 16:14
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Don't know about dogs, but we know that horses will be in heaven. So it may not be too far out to say that dogs will be there as well.

[u][b]Revelation 19:10-16[/b][/u]

Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written:

KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Glory

2008/2/18 16:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Dear brother Frank ...

This is all so incredible, my heart weeps with you and the tears ...

Our brother Paul West lost his faithful dog not too long ago.

Can't help the halting style here and offer this hesitatingly ... The one section of scripture that always comes to mind is in regards to David's being confronted by Nathan. The dialouge there;

2Sa 12:3 But the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.

Even in Davids guilt there is the outrage over the taking of the pet. I guess I have always taken this, parable or no to suggest the possibility just by way of emphesis that these pets are more than just animals as we who have them as members of our family know in our hearts.

That the lab showed up the way you described ...

Ah brother, may the Lord comfort you and your family.

2008/2/18 16:53Profile

Re:

Amen!

Brother Frank, I have a question. I went to your website, which I've have as a desktop shortcut and didn't know or think to ask --- are you from Scotland.

So I tried to go your Church's link but I only got a Black screen with that little dreaded red-X. But then something drawed/drew (?) me to the Grace County Site link.

WOW again. Who is the person who's site that is?

Excuse my grammar - I'm not from this country. :-D

2008/2/18 17:06
Nellie

Re:

I am so sorry about your precious dog.
We have lost a dog, too, so I know how you feel.
David Wilkinson whose Grandaughter died because of a brain tumor, I believe, he said she told him before she died that God had told her He needed her to come help take care of the animals.
I think she was 12 or 13 when she died, but I believe that we will see our animals again.
May God comfort you.
Nellie

2008/2/18 17:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy