Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Christian Greatness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jgraves11

Munford, TN

Christian Greatness

Quote:
If I appear great in their eyes, the Lord is most graciously helping me to see how absolutely nothing I am without Him, and helping me to keep little in my own eyes. He does use me. But I am so concerned that the uses me and that it is not of me the work is done. The axe cannot boast of the trees it has cut down. It could do nothing but for the woodsman. He made it, he sharpened it, and he used it. The moment he throws it aside, it becomes only old iron. O that I may never lose sight of this. (Quoted in MacArthur New Testament Commentary Matthew 16-23, Chicago: Moody, 1988 page 242)

What an amazing way to look at Christian Service

2008/2/13 15:01Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Christian Greatness

Thanks for sharing that insightful illustration. Without Him…I can do nothing. With Him…I can do anything!

Its good to be reminded exactly “who” is doing “what”.

Not to derail the thread, but I noticed this was taken from a MacArthur commentary. Would you share your thoughts on this one…or any other MacArthur commentaries you have used?

2008/2/13 15:12Profile
jgraves11

Munford, TN

Re:

Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but I noticed this was taken from a MacArthur commentary. Would you share your thoughts on this one…or any other MacArthur commentaries you have used?

I will answer your question, but it may take me a minute to explain. I am currently preaching a series through Matthew and have been for almost two years. At the begining I relied heavily on MacArthur's Commentary, mainly because I had been preaching for about 1 month. Since then though I have went through cycles. Sometimes he gets a little wordy and goes off on tangents and other times the extra information is extremely helpful. He has a tendency though, especially in dealing with the disciples to create assumed characteristics that are not neccesarily scriptural and preach them. Overall I would greatly reccomend his commentary series, it is basically his sermons where he preached through the book. Good stuff. I dont know where you stand theologically, but it deals very lightly with election, and he is somewhat dispensational when dealing with the law. Anyway good stuff again, sorry for such a long reply. Hope this helps.

2008/2/13 15:21Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
sorry for such a long reply. Hope this helps.

Thanks brother...that was just what I wanted to know.

2008/2/13 15:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy