Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New online Puritan Library

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jgraves11

Munford, TN

New online Puritan Library

I didnt know if anyone else had seen this or not.

www.puritanlibrary.com

Looks pretty neat, may save some money on buying books for a while. It has all sorts of puritan works avaialable for download absolutley free.

2008/2/12 14:43Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: New online Puritan Library

Good find. I must say, however, that nothing can replace the feeling of holding a book in your hands. Especially when it comes to Puritan literature; it can be a bit weighty to plow through on a monitor. This library is a great find, nonetheless.

There's just something about the Puritans. I think it's fun to collect their books, as there's so many diverse writers and characters and styles and flow. If religion were music, in these authors we would find our Bachs and Handels and Monteverdi and Vivaldi. The golden age of unsurpassed purity in form and style and exegesis. Of sobriety and cleanliness and hygienic doctrine - and even on the slight issue of OSAS in which I am still unpersuaded, I can't help but sense the scriptural purity and holiness behind such a doctrinal motivation.

The Puritans are my all-time heros, after Paul, and Jesus Christ, of course :). When all the theological world around me is haywire and muddied, my internal compass always points back the Puritans and their ever-faithful and sober adherence to scriptural integrity.

Brother Paul

2008/2/12 15:02Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

WOW! This is a really great puritan resource. Thanks for posting this. I hope others check this site out. It may save me from buying books, but not ink and binders. I like to read off line. WOW.

2008/2/12 15:03Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
and even on the slight issue of OSAS in which I am still unpersuaded, I can't help but sense the scriptural purity and holiness behind such a doctrinal motivation.

Well put, brother Paul, well put. I was hoping you would notice this post...I should have known it would not have escaped you!

Grace and peace brother.

2008/2/12 15:09Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Speaking of a new puritan resource, I have just launched a puritan reading podcast on SermonIndex!

[b]NEW! "A Puritan Devotional" Podcast[/b]
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22236&forum=16

2008/2/12 15:14Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Great news!

There was an excellent article posted some time back entitled” Why Read the Puritans Today?” I could not find it, not very search savvy I’m afraid, but this would be a great place to repost it if someone could find it.

2008/2/12 15:16Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

TJ,

[url=http://www.gracegems.org/17/puritans.htm]Is this it?[/url]

I found it on GraceGems... :)

2008/2/13 16:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Here is a great excerpt from that article:

The Puritans were as Christ-centered as they were God-centered. They loved Christ passionately and sought His glory tirelessly. Thomas Goodwin said, [i]"If I were to go to heaven, and find that Christ was not there, I would leave immediately; for heaven without Christ would be hell to me."[/i]

The Puritans saw Christ on virtually every page of Scripture. Thomas Adams wrote: [i]"Christ is the sum of the whole Bible, prophesied, typified, prefigured, exhibited, demonstrated, to be found in every leaf, almost in every line, the Scriptures being but as it were the swaddling bands of the child Jesus."[/i]

What wonderful words! Yes and a thousand thundering Amens!

2008/2/13 16:38Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
TJ,

[url=http://www.gracegems.org/17/puritans.htm]Is this it?[/url]

I found it on GraceGems... :)

Not it, but similar. Guess what...it was listed in the footnotes!

This is it right here:

[url=http://www.the-highway.com/articleDec97.html]Why Read The Puritans Today?[/url]

This is a must read article!

Thanks MSeaman

2008/2/13 16:52Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Thank you for pointing us to this online resource, it look like a treasure trove.

I've been reading alot of Bunyan and Owen lately but haven't explored much of the Puritan writers beyond those two but this may change that.

One thing I like about these Puritan's is their complete devotion and their attention to detail, when they take up a text they really try to wring all out of it that they can. Take Bunyan's book 'Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ', he takes up the verse, "all that the father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me i will in no wise cast out," and writes 14 chapters of amazing insight and depth. I just don't see that kind of writing in the modern books. Thank God these writings have been preserved for us, we truly are blessed.

In Christ,

Ron

2008/2/13 20:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy