SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do/Done

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Do/Done

This was the subject of a tract I once read:

"Do" and "Done", two parts of the same English verb, but what a difference!

I didn't want to get tied up in the current arguments on recent threads, but approach the same, or a closely connected subject, from a different angle.

The difference between "Do" and "Done" is, I believe, the key practical difference between true Christianity and mere religion. That includes almost all religions, and religious practice, including much of that which calls itself Christianity.

Judaism and Christianity are based on the same Scriptures, given by the only true and living God. But do we understand what He is really telling us through them?

Nicodemus didn't understand about being born from above (John 3 - "born again" in the KJV means "born from above"); and Jesus said:

Quote:
[i][b]“Are you a teacher of Israel, and yet you do not understand this?[/b][/i]

Nicodemus was a theologian, a respected teacher of the Scriptures, yet he didn't understand what they said?!!! But to Jesus, the living Word of God, through whom the words were given, it was plain, even there in the Old Testament (the New of course hadn't been written yet)!

So it is with the difference between "Do" and "Done". To give a personal testimony, it took many years and many struggles before I even [i]began[/i] to understand the difference. And even now, the outworking in practice often defeats me.

Yet, to understand this difference, and live day by day according to it, is the difference between law and grace, faith and works, life and death, flesh and Spirit.

I was taught the Ten Commandments in Sunday school, and remember as a child, weeping bitterly and asking God to forgive me one night for disobeying the commandment "Honour thy father and mother", because of being slightly naughty that day.

When not all that much older, I read the Beatitudes, (the "blessed's" at the start of Matthew 5) and tried to measure myself against them. Marks out of 10 = a few half marks perhaps.

But God's standard is perfection! I remember being almost terrified by the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:48, "You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect"!

But when Jesus said on the Cross, "IT IS FINISHED!!!" He really meant it. All is accomplished.

We do not work to attain heaven; we work because it has been attained for us.

We do not work because [i]we[/i] work; we work because [i]He[/i] works in us "to will and to do His good pleasure"

We do not work to try and become perfect; the Perfect One lives in us and does His works!

We do not work to try and please God and gain His acceptance, we work because we are "accepted in the Beloved.

We do not work to try and make up for the wrong things we have done; we work becaue the Sinless One died for us and took our sins.

We do not fight to obtain victory; we fight because the fictory is won!

We work from the standpoint of HIS completed work. [i][b]From[/b][/i] completion not [i]to[/i] completion. Anything less is "filthy rags" and useless "fig-leaf coverings".

We war from the standpoint of HIS victory already attained. [i][b]From[/b][/i] victory, not [i]to[/i] victory. Anything less is defeat.

HALLELUJAH!!! :-D :-D :-D

in Him

Jeannette

[Here's the passage in John 3
[color=990000]...“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’ 8 The wind blows where it wills, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know whence it comes or whither it goes; so it is with every one who is born of the Spirit.” 9 Nicodemus said to him, “How can this be?” 10 Jesus answered him, “Are you a teacher of Israel, and yet you do not understand this? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen; but you do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things?[/color]]

2008/2/11 13:48

Re: Do/Done

Sis, is it because we are female that tears come so easily or ?

Good post and this is what we were taught in the Romans & Galatians Class, not that college is necessary in the least. I don't believe it is. Just to know 'how' to study. That there are no divisions of Verses and Chpt.s in the Books and the whole is never contradicted by "proof-texting" - ie. Scripture interprets Scripture and Scripture never contradicts itself when taken in context. Some Greek helped too, but The Spirit of Truth is trustworthy on His Own. :-o

Anyway - here is the rest -

Gal 2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
Gal 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
Gal 2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
Gal 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
Gal 2:5 [b]To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.[/b]
Gal 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:
Gal 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
Gal 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
Gal 2:10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
Gal 2:15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

and on and on.

Have a GOOD Day in Jesus. Pray one for another.

2008/2/11 14:31
psalm1

Re:

I think God touched you and who wouldnt melt at his wonderful touch?

2008/2/11 15:48Profile
LiveforGod

A big Amen to that. Just Beautiful. I rejoice in what you wrote. Thank you. Amen, is nothing we have done, it is because Jesus Did it for us.

Quote:
We war from the standpoint of HIS victory already attained. From victory, not to victory. Anything less is defeat.

Amen, Amen.

2008/2/11 15:53Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

God bless you Jeanette!! Amazing – just yesterday I was listening to the current broadcast at www.whitehorseinn.org and they used the same terminology – Do/Done – to compare works based religions to Christianity and the finished work of Christ. Tears streamed down my face at the absolute wonder of it all.

But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Romans 3:21-26

How can I not at this rejoice?

Salvation freely given as a gift
Through Christ’s perfect obedience
The perfect priest, the perfect sacrifice
The perfect blood that still speaks better things…

His righteousness, imputed to me
A righteousness I could not earn
Did not deserve
Could not obtain by means of works

Not that merit was found in me
But because of His own love
Grace – Oh what a precious word

2008/2/11 16:59Profile

Re:

I was greatly blessed by these thoughts too, even when typing them.

Must stress that the original "idea" of putting it that way wasn't mine.

love to all

in Him

Jeannette

2008/2/11 17:31
Compton

Quote:
We do not work to try and become perfect; the Perfect One lives in us and does His works!

We do not work to try and please God and gain His acceptance, we work because we are "accepted in the Beloved.

We do not work to try and make up for the wrong things we have done; we work becaue the Sinless One died for us and took our sins.

We do not fight to obtain victory; we fight because the fictory is won!

This past weekend something happened that I felt somewhat relates to this thread.

This past Saturday night was the annual cub scouts pine wood derby---something my youngest little boy was really looking forward to. For weeks he had been been working on his wooden car, along with the other boys, in anticipation of the race.

Well, the time came to drive over to the race when suddenly my wife discovered she had made a terrible mistake; our son's car was in the her van which was locked up for the weekend at the mechanics for some repairs!

My dear wife was in tears...she was sure she had ruined the evening. There was no way we were going to be able to drive across town, find someone to unlock the garage on a Saturday night, and make it back in time for the race. Still, a mother must try. Racing down the road to the garage she first called the district leader to explain that we were going to miss the registration. His wife answered his cell phone and when she heard the story she said, "No worries, I made one this year myself for fun and wasn't planning on racing it anyways. He can use mine!"

Well we explained the situation to our son, and to our surprise he accepted the switch. Apparently he was just happy to participate...children aren't as prideful about these things as adults I suppose. In any case, my wife and I were relieved that the evening wasn't going to be a bust...and at least our son could have a car in the race.

When his new car was placed at the top of the ramp with the other cars, we figured he would probably lose the race, but at least a successful parenting mission was accomplished. Well that new little car of his kept winning round after round. Wouldn't you know it, dozens of races later, he won first place that night! To be honest, it bothered my pride...I was somewhat embarrassed that he had won by the efforts of another. In fact, when my son's car was first discovered missing, I contemplated reciting my classic 'life ain't fair' speech to him. (Standard procedure for helpless fathers.)

Upon hearing his name called, my son walked up and received his award with the same happy smile he had worn all evening. Just having the car had made his night. Their wasn't any change in his disposition...only a delight in having a trophy.

My wife told me, that she felt God had done that for her as much as for our son. After all her stress about providing our own vehicle, we ended up relying on the one provided for us...the winning one.

It is worth noting that the car we used wasn't provided for that night...it was provided weeks before we had any idea we would need it. Before they call I will answer...

We might be surprised at the things God cares about in our lives. He has provided His wondrous vehicle of grace for eternity, but he also gives grace even for seemingly trivial times. Grace is in his character. His heart is vast, but He is willing to be much smaller then we are often willing...small enough for a little boy to understand.

Blessings,

MC

2008/2/11 20:30Profile

Re:

Gal 2:1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
Gal 2:2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
Gal 2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
Gal 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
Gal 2:5 [b]To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.[/b]
Gal 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:
Gal 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
Gal 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
Gal 2:10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
Gal 2:15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? .............

2008/2/11 22:41
rowdy2

Southern USA

Reply to Sister Jeannette

I joy in your joy, we rest in His Sabbath, O Son of Man, the firstborn.

So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn and I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

2008/2/11 23:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy