SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Patriotism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
pastorfrin

Re: Christian Patriotism

Christian Patriotism
by Alonzo Trevier Jones

PART I:
HEAVEN'S CITIZEN IN WORLD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter V
Our Kingdom is not of this World

“Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews.”
John 18:36

If His kingdom were of this world, then for what kingdom would His servants fight - for a kingdom of this world?
Then the man who fights for a kingdom of this world, who contends for supremacy and power in a kingdom of this world, and works for a place in a kingdom of this world, denies his connection with the kingdom of Jesus Christ.
For Christ's kingdom is not of this world. But this is what these church leaders are doing who are leading in this National Reform movement. They seek to take possession of the kingdoms of this world, to rule the governments of this world and to fight for the governments of this world.
Therefore they proclaim with the loudest voice possible that they are of this world and not of the kingdom of Christ at all.

“There was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.” Luke 22:24-26

There was a strife among them concerning which should be greatest in the kingdom which they expected Christ to set up. They expected it would be a kingdom of this world and they expected they would have a place.
There was a strife among them regarding that expected kingdom. It was a mistaken idea, to be sure, with respect to the kingdom, but the lesson that he gave them upon it is applicable in all cases of the kind:

“And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.” Luke 22:25

Factors, benefactors, agents of good! That is what these church leaders now profess to be. They claim to be agents of good to the country, to the people. They are working for the redemption of cities, States, and nations. Would they not be called benefactors?

"But ye shall not be so." Luke 22:26a

Ye shall not exercise authority and lordship over one another in the Church, in the place where you belong.

Why then are these church leaders exercising authority and lordship over people in a place where they do not belong?

2008/2/15 13:36Profile
pastorfrin

Christian Patriotism
by Alonzo Trevier Jones

PART I:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter VI
Governments of World are of Darkness

Another verse in connection with "My kingdom is not of this world" is:

Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints of light: who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son. Colossians 1:12-13

There is a contrast here between this light and the darkness. "Delivered us from the power of darkness." That is not simply the power that darkness exerts upon us, but deliverance from the dominion, rulership and government of darkness. He brought us out from under the jurisdiction of the power of darkness, and "hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son."

Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world. Ephesians 6:10-12

Here is defined the dominion, the rulership and the authority that rules the darkness of this world. That is what we contend against. The only ones who can contend successfully are those who have been delivered from the power of that darkness and translated into the kingdom of His dear Son.

The "rulers of the darkness" are the spiritual powers of darkness. But the text says that these spiritual powers are the rulers of the darkness of this world. It therefore shows that this world is in that darkness, and of that darkness. Therefore, kingdoms and governments, being of this world only, are in and of the darkness.

"Ye were sometimes darkness." Ephesians 5:8 When? When we were subject to "the rulers of the darkness of this world," when we were in sin.

For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light; proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Governments, nations, political organizations are of this world only; they belong to this world only. And the world is under the dominion of darkness. "Darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people." Isaiah 60:2 Are governments and municipalities of the kingdom of God or of this world? - They belong to this world, and to this world alone. They belong to the side of darkness.

But he who is translated out of darkness into the kingdom of God's dear Son, is of another world. He belongs to the heavenly world. The city to which he belongs is the heavenly city. His citizenship is in the dominion and world of light.

Then what connection has that kingdom of light with the kingdoms of darkness? Why are these church leaders, who profess to be of the light, participating in the affairs of darkness? "What fellowship hath light with darkness?" That question belongs here. And the same thought is expressed in connection with the text we are studying:

Ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth), proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Ephesians 5:8-11

How much of the world is to be embraced under the dominion of the beast and his image? All the world. What is our message?

If any man worship the beast and his image and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God. Revelation 14:9-10

That is our message to the world. It applies to all the world. Will that message of "have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness" be a reproving message to everyone that is engaged in the work of the beast and his image? It will. Thus participating in the work of the beast and his image is violative of the principle of heavenly citizenship. It is violative of the principle of ambassadorship. It is violative of the principles Jesus Christ laid down for seeking lordship; violative of His principle of separating the government of God from the governments of this earth. It is simply an attempt to blend light and darkness. It is the spirit of darkness that seeks to blend the government of light with the governments of darkness.

There are several other texts that are pertinent, such as Christ's prayer for His disciples:

I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them. John 17:14

In another place He says to them:

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own; but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his Lord. John 15:19-20

These verses also show who the world hates:

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before you. John 15:18

The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil. John 7:7

When the beast and his image govern the world, and a people testify against it, that people will be hated. But if one does not testify to the world that its works are evil, is the world going to hate him? Oh no; the world will love its own.

And the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. John 17:14

There is a standard that tests our relationship to this world. That standard is Jesus Christ. "They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."

I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. John 17:15-16

Here are these church leaders, professing to be not of this world. If that profession be true, they will act as Jesus Christ did when He was in this world. They will act the same with respect to governmental affairs on the earth. That is what we are talking about now. The beast and his image are of the world. If these church leaders are right, if they are of the truth, then they will not be of the world. They will not interfere or take part with the affairs of this world. They will not seek to control political affairs. They will follow the example of Jesus Christ.

And to what extent did Christ do it? He never touched it. Were there not evils in His day that ought to have been corrected? evils in city government? evils in colonial government? evils in imperial government? Why in the world did He not set about to redeem Jerusalem and Rome by political wire-working? Why didn't he? - Because He was not of this world. When these church leaders participate in worldly governments, they demonstrate that they are not of Christ, but are of this world.

2008/2/17 17:25Profile
pastorfrin

Christian Patriotism
by Alonzo Trevier Jones

PART I:

Chapter VII
Jesus Christ Sent as Ambassador of God

An ambassador is rightly sent from one government or kingdom to another. He is not sent there to manipulate or interfere with the affairs of the government. He is sent to that country to attend to the affairs of his own government as they may arise in that government, or in that country. That is his purpose.

There are subjects of Great Britain living in the United States. Great Britain has interests that concern her subjects in the United States. She sends her ambassadors here to attend to these interests as they may arise within the territory of the United States. And to these things alone is he to devote his time. He turns his attention to the affairs of his own country, as they may arise in the country where he is sent.

So was Jesus Christ sent as the ambassador of God to this world. He was in the country of Judea, under the government and jurisdiction of Rome. He was asked to attend to the affairs that pertained to that other country. But instead of yielding to the invitation, He stuck closely to the affairs that belonged to His own country.

They asked Him to act as a judge and a divider in the things that belonged altogether to the government in whose territory He was in. But He was not there to attend to these things. He was there to attend to the affairs of the kingdom of God. He was to attend to the affairs of the government which sent Him. And instead of crossing the line, and interfering with the affairs that belonged under the jurisdiction of this world, He remained loyal to the kingdom that sent Him. He adhered strictly to the affairs of that government, the kingdom of God, as they arose in the country where He had been sent.

God has people in this world. He has interests in this world. His people have interests in this world. Therefore God rightly has ambassadors in this world; but they are here to attend to the affairs of the kingdom of God. They attend to the affairs of the kingdom of God as they may arise in the course of things in this world. They do not attend to the affairs of the kingdoms of this world. And the ambassador for Jesus Christ that goes over the line, and undertakes to attend to the affairs of this world, abandons his own government. He breaks his allegiance to his own King, and unlawfully and illegally invades the province of another government.

"I pray for them." John 17:9 He is praying for His disciples whom the Father had given him out of the world. "I pray for them: I pray not for the world."
Can the man whose affections and attention are upon this world benefit from this prayer? No, sir. "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine."
Then every man who would have the benefit of that prayer must be separated from the world, from the things of this world, from the affairs of this world. His affections must not be set upon the world as certainly and as entirely as Jesus Christ himself; for "they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world." John 17:16

The sooner we find that our only refuge, our only confidence, is in God, and our only allegiance is to His kingdom and the principles which He gave us, the better off we will be. We are not to see how near we can go to the kingdoms of the world without compromising; but how far away we can stay to be perfectly safe. That is the principle.

There is another verse related to this principle. When asked which is the first commandment in the law, Jesus answered:

The first of all the commandments is, Hear O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. Mark 12:29-30

That takes all of the man, all the time, to be devoted to God. How much then is there left with which to serve Caesar?
"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22:21

The Christian himself belongs to God. He recognizes God's right to him. It takes a complete surrender to God to be a Christian. He must be born again, or else he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3 And that kingdom is not of this world.
To obey the first commandment, God calls men to surrender to Him. When a man surrenders himself to God, there is none of that man left for the service of Caesar.

Look again at the above verse in Mark: "With all thy mind." When that law is fulfilled in me, I want to know how much of my mind I am going to have left for running politics, for wirepulling in municipal affairs, for working to elect this man or that man, or to see who will nominate me for office, or to see what position I can have in the city or in the State?

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God . . . with all thy mind." Matthew 22:37
But if I divide my mind, and put part of it on these things, and give the rest to the Lord - then I am a double-minded man, unstable in all my ways. James 1:8 "Let not that man think he shall receive anything of the Lord."

"No man can serve two masters"; Matthew 6:24

Ye cannot serve God and this world; ye cannot serve God and Caesar.

2008/2/19 20:42Profile
pastorfrin

Christian Patriotism
by Alonzo Trevier Jones

PART I:

Chapter VIII
Church Separate from World

In the Scriptures, you know that the Church is called the body of Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:27 and Christ is the head of the Church. Colossians 1:18 Is not the Church, Christ in the world? But Christ taught a separation of Church and State. Christ says, "I am not of this world." John 8:23

This world is darkness. "Ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light." Ephesians 5:8
Now let's imagine a blackboard. That blackboard represents the dark world without any white marks upon it. When Christ came into the world, the light shone into the world. From Galilee there was the word of the prophet: "The people which sat in darkness saw a great light." Isaiah 9:2
Imagine a white line on the blackboard that represent the line between the darkness and the light. On one side is the light. Here is where Christ is. On the other side is the dark world. Now He says His kingdom is not of this world. The kingdom of God is the kingdom of light and of glory. He is the King there.

Now on which side of that line is the Church? - Wherever Christ is. For we found that He is the Church; the Church is Himself in the world. Here in the light is the Church, over there in the darkness are the States, the governments that are altogether of this world. No government that ever was on the earth will enter heaven.

He had "all of these kingdoms of the world" Matthew 4:8 offered to Him. Why didn't He accept that offer, and thus become the head, of all the governments and kingdoms of this world? Then He could manipulate them, and by political means "regenerate society," "redeem cities," reform the mayors, governors, presidents, kings, and emperors, and thus "save" the world? Why not? Because that would have only confirmed the world in eternal ruin.

Christ did not accept the kingdoms of the world. He could not do so. He was offered the governorship, the possession of all the kingdoms of the world. He would not have it. But lo, here we find these church leaders in our day actually grasping for it, and working to obtain it.
If all Christians from the day of Christ until now had refused the kingdoms of the world, as Christ did, could there have been a papacy? No. Could there have been an image? Impossible. Where are Christians to stand on that question? Where Christ stood, refusing to have anything to do with the kingdoms of the world.

The church leaders are working to "regenerate the city," "redeem the State," and "save the nation" in the interests of society and for the exaltation of the church. And they say, If this clear-cut line that separates Church and State is maintained, what will become of civilization?
How is the Church to influence the world? They argue that the church certainly is in the world to do good to the world. Here are these cities, states, and nations that are corrupt. The Church must have some influence upon them. If she is to be completely separated from them, how is she to influence them in any way for good? These are the queries they raise, and the arguments which they make against a clear-cut line of separation of Church and State.

The answer is that only by totally separating from the world, 2 Corinthians 6:17 can the Church ever influence the world for good. The Church will influence the world, it will influence kingdoms, it will influence nations, and the peoples thereof, when, and only when, it is faithfully the Church of Christ; and is not of the world even as He is not of the world. When the Church is not faithful, she will influence the world - that is true - but only to their undoing.

2008/2/22 19:52Profile

Re:

"The church leaders are working to "regenerate the city," "redeem the State," and "save the nation" in the interests of society and for the exaltation of the church. And they say, If this clear-cut line that separates Church and State is maintained, what will become of civilization?
How is the Church to influence the world? They argue that the church certainly is in the world to do good to the world. Here are these cities, states, and nations that are corrupt. The Church must have some influence upon them. If she is to be completely separated from them, how is she to influence them in any way for good? These are the queries they raise, and the arguments which they make against a clear-cut line of separation of Church and State.

The answer is that only by totally separating from the world, 2 Corinthians 6:17 can the Church ever influence the world for good. The Church will influence the world, it will influence kingdoms, it will influence nations, and the peoples thereof, when, and only when, it is faithfully the Church of Christ; and is not of the world even as He is not of the world. When the Church is not faithful, she will influence the world - that is true - but only to their undoing."

Dear God, help us see.

2008/2/22 20:00
pastorfrin

Christian Patriotism
by Alonzo Trevier Jones

PART I:

Chapter IX

Roman Empire vs Right to Conscience

When Christianity started in the Roman Empire, there was no such thing as rights of conscience. In fact, there was no such thing as rights of the individual.
Christianity means nothing if not the rights of conscience. That was its one claim that overtopped everything else as it entered the Roman Empire.
The contest between Christianity and all the power of the Roman Empire was upon the Christian's claim of the right of conscience. The empire of Rome denied it, because the empire did not know anything about it.

Rome said, "What the law says, is right." And from the law alone, we get the idea of right and wrong. What the law says to be done, that is right. What the law prohibits, that is wrong and that is the reason why it is right or wrong.

But the Christian said, "What God says is right" is what makes it right, and what God says is wrong, is what makes it wrong.

To Rome, the State was god; and therefore the maxim: "The voice of the people is the voice of God." And as the laws were the voice of the people, the law was the voice of the Roman god.

Therefore when the Christian denied the Roman god, and asserted the rights of conscience toward the true God, he himself became judge of the right or wrong of the law.
Yet to the Roman mind, the law itself was the test of right or wrong.

That contest went on for 250 years before it was settled in favor of the rights of conscience. And by that time the principles of Christianity had so impressed the pagans, who made no profession of anything but paganism, that the rights of conscience were sacred.

When the apostasy seized the civil power and began to use it in behalf of what they called the Christian religion, then pagans pleaded the rights of conscience!

2008/2/25 21:42Profile
pastorfrin

Christian Patriotism
by Alonzo Trevier Jones

PART I:

Chapter X

Give God all the Place

The principles of Christ Christianized multitudes of people.

The Christian zing of these people fixed in them the rights of conscience. It was so fixed upon them that they would die rather than yield. That was genuine Christianity. They held to that principle, at the expense of every other consideration. Pagans were so impressed by their integrity that they pled "right to conscience" when occasion offered.

This illustrates the principles which we are studying: That Christianity, if held faithfully by those who profess it, will exert an influence for good.

Macaulay discovered this principle, too, and expressed it in writing of India: "A man need not to be a Christian to desire that Christianity should be spread to India."

That tells the whole story.
A Christian wants Christianity spread in India for Christ's sake, for the sake of souls who will be Christianized. The man who is not a Christian may wish for Christianity to be in India, for the sake of the good it will due the poor heathen, even if they do not become Christians.

But the mischief has always been, and is yet, that Christianity is not taken and held for what it is by those who profess it.

God is not given large enough place in those who profess Him. He cannot demonstrate the real power of Christianity in these people who do not give Him the place that belongs to Him.
Then men lose that divine power and influence. They go about to do by themselves and by human power the things that would be done by the Lord if only they would give Him the place that belongs to Him.

That is why professed Christians think they must propose legislation, or get into office, or manage, or dictate to those who do legislate or are in office. And they want to do all these things in "a Christian mold," and make it influential in elevating the people, and bring cities, states, and nations, around to the right way.
But that is putting themselves in the place of Jesus Christ; that is putting themselves in the place of God. And that is the papacy all over again; that is worshiping the beast or his image.

Let those who name the name of Christ do it with absolute surrender to God. Give God all the place.
Let the influence all be His, let the power all be His, let Him alone be looked to, and depended upon, to do all in all.
Then Christians will see the power of God so manifest that they would be ashamed to put themselves forward to give mold or shape to the influence of Christianity.

When people do not give the Lord the place which belongs to Him, and therefore do not see what they expect to see, it is natural that they should begin to think that they are better than the Lord. They think they could do better than He does, and so they must take hold and do the thing their Christianity fails to do.

But that, I say again, leaves God out, and put themselves in His place.
And by leaving God out, they leave out His power; and by putting themselves in His place, they put into exercise their own power; and that is worldly, earthly, sensual, and, at the last, devilish. James 3:15

2008/3/1 18:11Profile
Compton

Re:

An observation...

Quote:
...professed Christians think they must propose legislation, or get into office, or manage, or dictate to those who do legislate or are in office.

Thankfully, William Wilberforce was such a professed Christian.

It's dubious to legislate religious beliefs on a nation, but honorable to legislate good laws. This doesn't imply that desirable ends can justify the use of any and all crooked means. Only, if it be possible that both the means and the end can be Christ honoring, then the Christian is compelled for mercy's sake to try.

Else, how ever could there be a reason for the people to be glad when the righteous rule, if the righteous are excluded from ruling?

MC

2008/3/2 1:49Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
An observation...

Quote:
...professed Christians think they must propose legislation, or get into office, or manage, or dictate to those who do legislate or are in office.

Thankfully, William Wilberforce was such a professed Christian.

It's dubious to legislate religious beliefs on a nation, but honorable to legislate good laws. This doesn't imply that desirable ends can justify the use of any and all crooked means. Only, if it be possible that both the means and the end can be Christ honoring, then the Christian is compelled for mercy's sake to try.

Else, how ever could there be a reason for the people to be glad when the righteous rule, if the righteous are excluded from ruling?

MC

Hi Brother MC,

I think it would be wise to follow and use Jesus Christ as our example, as he is the one scripture points us to. Not a Wilberforce or any other man, but Jesus. You know, ‘take the whole world but give me Jesus’.
If we as Christians would truly begin to imitate Him as we are instructed to do, the world would change. But instead, we promote and follow men.

Proverbs 29:2
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

I believe this is a statement of fact, not a doctrine. Were men deciding during the time Proverbs was written, who ruled over them?

Are you saying because we live in a democracy that man decides who rules over him?

Daniel 2:20-21
Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: [21] And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:

Daniel 4:17
This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

Daniel 5:21
And he was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointeth over it whomsoever he will.

They only think they do.

But we can and should all earnestly pray, for those in authorities and for God’s will to be done in earth as it is in heaven.

1 Tim. 2:1-2
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; [2] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Matthew 6:9-13
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. [10] Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. [11] Give us this day our daily bread. [12] And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. [13] And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

I truly believe we can trust the Lord God, don’t you. :-)

In His Love
pastorfrin

2008/3/3 4:53Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I think it would be wise to follow and use Jesus Christ as our example, as he is the one scripture points us to. Not a Wilberforce or any other man, but Jesus.

Pastorfrin, that was an unassailable, if equivocal response. What can I say...I agree!

MC

2008/3/3 10:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy