SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The law

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Reposted below. :-)

2008/2/10 10:08

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi everyone,

Strider100 and Preacher777, if I could suggest, it seems to me to be right to introduce ourselves somewhat before starting topics here.

[color=9966ff] Sure Chris ... check out my profile.

However, I am a believer in the grace of God through the free gift of Messiah, Yeshua. I also believe that none of His instructions or commandments have been 'abolished' or done away with. As our brother Paul so aptly puts it ... "God Forbid!" [/color]

Strider100, you had asked about what law we would not want to walk according to, and also you had qouted David as saying how the Lord's commandments were daily his delight.

It brought to mind this,

[b][color=000000]And the man that committeth adultery with [i]another[/i] man's wife, [i]even he[/i] that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. [/color][/b]

- Leviticus chapter 20 verse 10(KJV)

As for me, I don't think I would like to have answered Amen to this one for sure:

[color=9966ff] Is this a commandment that we should abolish then? :-(

Chris, I can understand one's reluctance to face the penalty for breaking this commandment. However, one doesn't have to, since Messiah Yeshua has already paid that price. halleluYah! [/color]

[b][color=000000] Cursed [i]be[/i] he that confirmeth not [i]all[/i] the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen. [/color][/b]

- Deuteronomy 27:26(KJV)

[color=9966ff] Chris, remember the law of God is perfect altogether. It would be foolish to throw it out because we failed to walk in it. Messiah came to take upon Himself the penalty or 'curse' for breaking this law. Now we are free to embrace his ways, knowing that we have a great High Priest who we can come to in times of trouble.

"More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold." [/color]

2008/2/10 10:48
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Strider100 wrote:

Quote:
Now we are free to embrace his ways, knowing that we have a great High Priest who we can come to in times of trouble.

Come to in times of trouble? You know that you are talking about The Lord and God Jesus Christ, the saviour? Not just someone we come to when things get bad, but come to out of reverence for Him being God.

Jesus being God in itself is enough reason to come to Jesus regardless of situations. God alone is worthy of all worship and praise.

2008/2/10 11:28Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Hello

Quote:
Strider100 and Preacher777, if I could suggest, it seems to me to be right to introduce ourselves somewhat before starting topics here.

[i]"Sure Chris ... check out my profile.

However, I am a believer in the grace of God through the free gift of Messiah, Yeshua. I also believe that none of His instructions or commandments have been 'abolished' or done away with. As our brother Paul so aptly puts it ... "God Forbid!"[/i] "

Welcome to SermonIndex. Seems there are a number here who are new to the surroundings or at least to participation. Please share something about yourselves in the section below and do read the posts regarding the ministry that are "sticky-ed" if you haven't already. We have attempted to be somewhat different than what one might find in this style of discussion, much of that is contained within those posts.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=13&4128]Welcome & Intro[/url]

2008/2/10 11:48Profile

Re:

Quote:

Miccah wrote:

Strider100 wrote:

Quote:
Now we are free to embrace his ways, knowing that we have a great High Priest who we can come to in times of trouble.

[color=0000ff] Just repeating scripture. :-)

The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. (Ps9:9)

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble. (Ps 46:1)

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Yeshua the Son of God. (Heb 4:14) [/color]

Come to in times of trouble? You know that you are talking about The Lord and God Jesus Christ, the saviour? Not just someone we come to when things get bad, but come to out of reverence for Him being God.

[color=0000ff] Not sure what you're asking here.[/color]

Jesus being God in itself is enough reason to come to Jesus regardless of situations. God alone is worthy of all worship and praise.

2008/2/10 13:55

Re:

Hi Mike,

I did not know that it was a requirement to 'introduce' oneself. I have gone ahead and done that.

Just to set the record straight. I have not started any topics yet. I was replying to something posted.

Shalom

2008/2/10 14:02
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone,

Strider100, welcome to the forums.

I would like to post something first from your introduction in the Welcome section just to have it in view, I hope it will be alright:

You said there

"I also believe that all of His words and instructions are precious and for our edification, and none of His instructions (other than the temple and sacrificial instructions) have been 'abolished' or done away with."

Strider, you said this

"Chris, remember the law of God is perfect altogether. It would be foolish to throw it out because we failed to walk in it."

But Strider, wouldn't it rather be foolish to think that we could break up the Law, or Covenant, which God made between Himself and the Children of Israel into parts and [b]it still retain it's perfection[/b]?

For instance, Moses commanded that male children [b]must[/b] be circumcised(Lev 12:1-3)

Paul, the Apostle of Jesus Christ the mediator of the New Covenant, wrote this

[b][color=000000] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. [/color][/b]

- Galatians 5:2-3(KJV)

Strider, also you said

"Messiah came to take upon Himself the penalty or 'curse' for breaking this law. Now we are free to embrace his ways,..."

By His ways, do you mean the commandments which He gave to the Apostles(See Matthew 28:18-20, John 17:8, Acts 1:2)

[b]or[/b]

the Law and Covenant which God made with Children of Israel through Moses(See Exodus chapter 24 and 34:27-28)?

Those who were under the law of Moses he sprinkled with blood, saying

[b][color=000000]...Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words. [/color][/b]

- Exodus 24:8(KJV)

But Whose words are we commanded to hear now?

What was spoken from Heaven to them that saw Christ, and Moses, and Elijah,(Moses being the mediator of the Law and Elijah the prophet, having both here then the law and the prophets)but what did the voice from Heaven say

[b][color=000000] And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him. [/color][/b]

- Mark 9:7(KJV)

And should we then as Peter suggested, build a tent for Moses and Elijah?

[b][color=000000]And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves. [/color][/b]

- Mark 9:8(KJV)

What do you think?

Chris

2008/2/10 14:39Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Chris, remember the law of God is perfect altogether. It would be foolish to throw it out because we failed to walk in it. Messiah came to take upon Himself the penalty or 'curse' for breaking this law. Now we are free to embrace his ways, knowing that we have a great High Priest who we can come to in times of trouble.

It seems that you are implying that the consequence of having died to sin is that we are now alive to the law, which is really the highest expression of the will of God. But Paul declares in Romans 7 that to be under the law is to be under sin. This is the gospel. Although the law was given by God, it cannot help us to take even one step along the way of salvation. It contributed nothing to our justification, and equally can contribute nothing at all to our sanctification.

Only one power exists that is greater than sin, and that is the grace of God. It is the gospel alone that is the power of God unto us. Romans chapter 7 reveals that the law is never of any help in the Christian life and it sets the ground for the liberating truth of the gospel found in chapter 8. Paul is warning us in chapter 7 that the gospel is not a means by which we are enabled to fulfill the law and so become righteous in ourselves. If we understand the gospel this way we cannot avoid a direct confrontation with the law, thinking that we are now enabled to fulfill it. We lose that confrontation every time.

In Christ,

Ron

2008/2/10 14:53Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi everyone,

Strider100, welcome to the forums. [color=0000ff]Strider: Thankyou :-) [/color]

I would like to post something first from your introduction in the Welcome section just to have it in view, I hope it will be alright:

[color=0000ff] Strider: No Problem [/color]

You said there

"I also believe that all of His words and instructions are precious and for our edification, and none of His instructions (other than the temple and sacrificial instructions) have been 'abolished' or done away with."

Strider, you said this

"Chris, remember the law of God is perfect altogether. It would be foolish to throw it out because we failed to walk in it."

But Strider, wouldn't it rather be foolish to think that we could break up the Law, or Covenant, which God made between Himself and the Children of Israel into parts and [b]it still retain it's perfection[/b]?

[color=0000ff] Strider: I do not recommend breaking up the Covenant into parts. That Covenant was renewed (not broken up or abolished) with the coming of Yeshua the Messiah. [/color]

For instance, Moses commanded that male children [b]must[/b] be circumcised(Lev 12:1-3)

Paul, the Apostle of Jesus Christ the mediator of the New Covenant, wrote this

[b][color=000000] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. - Galatians 5:2-3(KJV)[/color][/b]
[color=0000ff] Strider: If one reads this passage in context, it will be seen that Paul is reinforcing the teaching that you can not earn your salvation by working at it. However, it can be seen from other passages that Paul upholds the law. [b](e.g Rom 3:30-31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.)[/b] [/color]

Strider, also you said

"Messiah came to take upon Himself the penalty or 'curse' for breaking this law. Now we are free to embrace his ways,..."

By His ways, do you mean the commandments which He gave to the Apostles(See Matthew 28:18-20, John 17:8, Acts 1:2)
[color=0000ff] Strider: The commandments which He gave the apostles are no different than those found in the Tanakh (Hebrew scriptures) .. In fact any time the 'Scripture' is mentioned in the N.T ... it is referring to the Tanakh (misrepresented as the Old Testament) [/color]

[b]or[/b]

the Law and Covenant which God made with Children of Israel through Moses(See Exodus chapter 24 and 34:27-28)?

Those who were under the law of Moses he sprinkled with blood, saying

[b][color=000000]...Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words. [/color][/b]- Exodus 24:8(KJV)
[color=0000ff] Strider: The blood of Messiah has been shed and has replaced the need for blood sacrifice. This was a foreshadowing of what was to come and the Renewed Covenant. [/color]

But Whose words are we commanded to hear now?

[color=0000ff] Strider: The words of Messiah echo those of His Father. There should be no confusion here. [/color]

What was spoken from Heaven to them that saw Christ, and Moses, and Elijah,(Moses being the mediator of the Law and Elijah the prophet, having both here then the law and the prophets)but what did the voice from Heaven say

[b][color=000000] And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him. [/color][/b] - Mark 9:7(KJV) [color=0000ff] Strider: I agree. Hear Him, for He echoes the words of His Father, which are contained in the Scriptures. [/color]

And should we then as Peter suggested, build a tent for Moses and Elijah? [color=0000ff] Strider: LOL ... Chris, If you feel like the boy scout thing, have at it, old chap! [/color]

[b][color=000000]And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves. [/color][/b]
- Mark 9:8(KJV)

What do you think? [color=0000ff]

Strider: I think we are going to have a lot of fun :-) [/color]

Chris

2008/2/10 15:42
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Strider100,

The format of your posts makes it difficult to read. Could you perhaps use more spacing between qoutes? Thank you.

Strider, you said

"Strider: If one reads this passage in context, it will be seen that Paul is reinforcing the teaching that you can not earn your salvation by working at it."

This is what Paul actually said,

[b][color=000000] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. [/color][/b]

[b][color=000000] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. [/color][/b]

[b][color=000000]For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. [/color][/b]

- Galatians 5:1-3(KJV)

And Peter in Acts said

[b][color=000000]Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? [/color][/b]

- Acts 15:10(KJV)

And Paul says he had said to Peter

[b][color=000000]...If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? [/color][/b]

- Galatians 2:14(KJV)

I will try to respond more a bit later,

Chris

2008/2/10 16:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy