SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Fifth Volume of Spurgeon's Sermons

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

The Fifth Volume of Spurgeon's Sermons

In Sam Jones' autobiography he talks about the impact that a single volume of Spurgeon's sermons had on him, I'm trying to figure out which volume that is.

This volume would have been in reference to a volume of sermons that would have been available in 1873 to 1875, and is referred to here simply as 'the fifth volume of Spurgeon's Sermons.' Any Ideas anyone?

Quote:
When I entered upon my work in this circuit, I had three books—the Bible, [b]the fifth volume of Spurgeon's Sermons[/b], and some old volume of skeletons of sermons. Of course, my Bible was the book of all books to me, but I read and reread that volume of Spurgeon's sermons, until my soul and nature was stirred with the spirit of the man. I remember how I have frequently read the text of one of his sermons and then read his sermon; then I would read my text and, say: "If Spurgeon treated his text that way, how shall I treat mine?" And much of the directness of my style I owe to Spurgeon, the grandest preacher of this nineteenth century, if what a man does is a test of what a man is.

2008/2/9 15:18Profile
kendall

Re: The Fifth Volume of Spurgeon's Sermons

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it is worth a shot.
http://www.spurgeon.org/index/c05.htm

2008/2/9 18:12Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I e-mailed [url=http://www.pilgrimpublications.com/]Pilgrim Publications[/url] who I thought would probably be able to answer my question best, and this is the answer I got, which is kind of a testimony in its own way.

Quote:
Hello, Ian!

I first saw the name of Spurgeon in 1953 in this book you quoted, and from then on I have been pursuing Spurgeon's works.

I'm not sure what book of sermons Sam Jones refers to, however. It may have been in on the "collections" rather than in the original set. If it was the fifth volume of the original set, it would be Volume 5, Year 1859, of the New Park Street Pulpit. -- Bob

I guess I'm not the first person to read Sam Jones' autobiography and get the impression to find that fifth volume of Spurgeon's sermons.

2008/2/10 0:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy